Glocker needs computer help!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glocker needs computer help!!

bruce21b
10-14-2004, 06:23
hey everybody:)

I have a question about my computer. I have a Dell Dimension desktop and was wondering, is it better to completely "shut down" your computer when you are done with it or is is okay to leave it in "standby" mode???

The reason I am wondering is that even in "standby" mode the little fan in the back of the tower constantly runs. Is it supposed to do that?? and what is the purpouse of the little fan anyway???

Thanks in advance:)

Jtemple
10-14-2004, 07:38
You will not hurt your computer by leaving it on.

My desktop machines are never turned off, except for the monitor.

The fan (probably the power supply fan) is there (and running) to cool things off.

Tennessee Slim
10-14-2004, 08:43
This is a question that could spark a flame war. Many people feel passionately both ways. I personally agree that there is no harm in leaving any computer running indefinitely. I also believe it actually improves longevity to leave it running if used daily.

David_G17
10-14-2004, 08:53
i cut mine off for 2 reasons:

1.) saves electricity.

2.) i have about 7 fans in it, and it's right next to my bed.

HerrGlock
10-14-2004, 14:17
A lot of things are set up to run on "offtime" like 4:00 am.

If you leave it on, those house cleaning tasks can take place when they're supposed to. If you turn it off, they will run upon next boot and will slow down your boot.

Fast find database update, scandisk for problems, full virus scans, defrag (some), and other items can run over night without needing a person and that's what they're set up to do. They also take time and CPU ticks. Let them run at night.

Electricity is a wash. If you use your computer regularly, daily, you spend about as much in boot as you do leaving it on standby overnight.

DanH

fastvfr
10-14-2004, 21:31
I agree, to a point.

I am not an advocate of plugging a PC into a wall socket, never was and never will be...

Your PC needs its current filtered to be as happy and as stable as it can be.

Use a non-switching UPS, so the computer gets its juice solely from the battery. No surges, no spikes, and no brownouts can harm it.

I can't recommend leaving a PC on 24/7 unless there is a compelling reason to do so, however....

When asked about this (and this happens TEN TIMES A DAY, it seems sometimes) my answer is to start it up when you use it for the first time that day, and leave it running until you are sure it is no longer needed that evening.

This nets only one hot/cold thermal cycle per day, yet it minimizes wasted energy and allows for a clearing of the RAM on a daily basis.

I am also somewhat loath to leave a machine on in my home when I am not present to keep an eye on it...doubly so when I am asleep.

If you DO need to keep the PC up constantly, at least minimize power consumption and the risk of fire by switching off your speakers and monitor when they are not in use.

Best regards,

FastVFR