How do you back up your servers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you back up your servers?

gwalchmai
10-14-2004, 09:07
Hardware? Software? What strategy do you use?

I use a combination of smoke and mirrors. ;) Well, mirrors, USB drives, and DVD drives.

Cinic
10-14-2004, 09:21
We're a small company w/o much data. Really only about 2-3 GB of actual work data.

I do a daily backup on tapes with 10 rotating tapes for a two week daily backup. We use the backup software contained within Windows Server 2003.

I'm trying to get my boss to let me buy a DVD burner for the office so I can do a bi-weekly or monthly burn of all data on one disk. I'd be much more inclined to do it when I'm supposed to if it were't such a hassle with 3-4 CDs.

gwalchmai
10-14-2004, 09:26
Originally posted by Cinic
We're a small company w/o much data. Really only about 2-3 GB of actual work data.

I do a daily backup on tapes with 10 rotating tapes for a two week daily backup. We use the backup software contained within Windows Server 2003.

I'm trying to get my boss to let me buy a DVD burner for the office so I can do a bi-weekly or monthly burn of all data on one disk. I'd be much more inclined to do it when I'm supposed to if it were't such a hassle with 3-4 CDs. I used tapes for a while, but I found them too slow and way too unreliable. I had several cases where the backup tape was no good.

It seems to me that DVD would pay for itself in about a month in your situation. All your data would fit on one disk so it could be done automagically.

grantglock
10-14-2004, 10:32
i'm going to take a look at the new iomega rev drives, looks pretty cool. right now i use tape backup or backup to another server.

fixed spelling.

Tennessee Slim
10-14-2004, 10:47
DLTs all the way around. Level zero once a week. Level one every other day.

Legato's Networker on the big UNIX server (with the DLT juke box). GNU's 'tar' and 'cpio' on the smaller UNIX boxes. Netbackup on the Windblows servers.

N2DFire
10-14-2004, 10:58
Backup Exec 9.X (and related modules) & Qualstar TLS-4000 1.4TB (Native) AIT-3 Tape Library.
Differentials run nightly & Full runs weekly (On Saturday)

Also do a lot of "redundant" storage via SQL Server replication from remote sites to a central "Master" server.

Love the Library because I don't have to manually switch tapes during a backup job.

I never got a lot of education on the software so I'm flying by the seat of my pants and learning as I go. Just learned some new Media Management tricks w/in BE 9 so I'm going to revamp our entire schema in another month or so. (We're building a new server that drives the library so I'm waiting for a fresh install to work with).

mhambi
10-14-2004, 11:01
Iomega external drive (2 of them) Complete backup once a week, changed data nightly.

drive rotated offsite weekly.

NetNinja
10-14-2004, 12:20
Numerous ways to skin a cat.

If you are only backing up a small amount of data then you can get away with daily backups.

Also backing up to DVD is a nice way to backup a small ammount of data.

Since I am backing up 1.5 terrabytes of data I have to do daily differentials and full backups on the weekend. Takes about 36 hours to do a full backup to tape.

My ideal platform would be to backup to a SANS array and then run my tape backups.

Since backing up to tape is so slow this would be an ideal situation.
I could do my daily differentials in about 15 to 20 minutes and then my full backups in about 4 to 6 hours.

So why keep the tape if the SANS is so fast? Because you also want an offsite storage solution also.

And since I don't trust anybody else to do this I would rather do this myself.

HerrGlock
10-14-2004, 14:12
5+ terabyte RAID array. Quarterly offsites. weekly onsite full backups with differential daily.

Working to duplicate the system for full redundancy. Will duplicate the backup setup as well.

DanH

bobby_w
10-14-2004, 18:01
The Iomega Rev works pretty good. I have been testing one for 2 months on my mail and document server.

The only issue I have is Iomega tends to drop products pretty often.

For my 12 production servers I use auto tape loaders with Veritas Back-up Exec and then move the tapes weekly to Iron Mountain storage facility in Houston. I back up every single byte of data every night. Been burned to many times with sequential backups. I also test a sample of tapes every 2 weeks.

Clyde
10-14-2004, 18:41
DLT Tapes
Raid 10
Backup Exec

greenlead
10-14-2004, 19:32
Our servers at my church are being backed up with a DVD burner that my father bought a couple of months ago.

tduffy
10-18-2004, 01:36
I backup my servers onto LTO Ultrium tapes(100 gig native, 200 gig compressed) using an 8 tape autoloader from Certance. I use Backup exec 9.1 to perform the backups. Full backup weekly and incremental backup nightly. Speed is not an issue with LTO drives. If you have a 1 gigabit network, it will backup 50 gig an hour. Otherwise on a 100 megabit network it will backup as fast as it can recieve the data.