Anti virius question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anti virius question

CarbineKid
10-15-2004, 04:42
When I brought my computer it came with the norton anti virius program, so I figured I was all set...WRONG. I guess theres an anual fee to keep it. Now Im not really too thrilled for paying for the program, over and over again. Are there any good anti virius programs out there that you only buy ONCE.
Next question: Hows Mcafee?? Theres a package deal t Circuit City for $60(before $30 rebate) and it includes the anti virius and a firewall program.
Thanks in advance

4sarge
10-15-2004, 05:52
I'll try to answer some of your questions to the best of my ability. I use Norton and can say that I'm satisfied. No, it may not be the best but I've switched to others and still return to Norton AV. Most of the companies make there money on the updates (yearly fee for renewal)

I'm sure that there are free or almost free (shareware programs) that are out there but I want the consistent updates that a paid service offers. I search the Internet for the best price when I need to update my AV software. You can buy an older version for a cheaper price that will still offer you 1 year of free updates. This will save you some $$$'s and still keep your computer safe. It's kinda like buying last years model that with the updates will be the same as the new one.

Keep your OS Updated, keep your AV software current (updated), use anti spy-ware software, set your browser to an adequate security level, stay away from those absolutely "Free" offers for things you really don't need, don't give your e-mail address out to just any org on the net etc..

Hope this helps ;Q

Texas T
10-15-2004, 06:00
Originally posted by CarbineKid
When I brought my computer it came with the norton anti virius program, so I figured I was all set...WRONG. I guess theres an anual fee to keep it.
1. There is not an annual fee to "keep it".
2. There is an annual subscription for the virus definition updates.
3. The fee is very reasonable compared to the hassle of having to deal with an infected PC
4. For fee based programs I prefer Norton over McAfee.
5. With the exception of Windows itself, many software programs that come pre-loaded on computers are trial programs that allow you to use them for only a specified period of time, or they only provide support for them for a specified period of time.

Don At PC
10-15-2004, 07:58
I have been using PC-Cillin put out by Trend-Micro for about 10 years and have been very satisfied. The one time purchase fee is reasonable and you have to reregister annually(but no additional fee). Norton is also very good. I had McAffee on my very first computer and will NEVER ever put it on another computer. So if I were going to recommend one it would be: 1. PC-Cillin Internet Security by Trend Micro and 2. Norton. I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

srhoades
10-15-2004, 11:43
AVG is free. The updates are free. And is uses a heck of a lot less system resources than Norton.

NetNinja
10-15-2004, 12:17
This question pops up every month

http://www.my-etrust.com/ Just use the anti Virus
You can download and install the program and it will download the latest virus deffinitions for 30 days.

Anti-Virus companies have finally found a way to create recurring revenue.
I don't blame them one bit on the anti-virus side of things.

20 servers and multiple desktops. Not one was ever taken down due to a virus. With multiple WEEKLY updates Computer Associates is on top of things.

USMC76
10-15-2004, 13:07
I have used Norton AV on my computers for years with good results. I now buy the Norton Works package on a yearly basis. This way I get the latest software and another year of updates. They usually have pretty good rebates on the Norton software packages around the first of each year, after the holidays.

My recommendation is to bite the bullet and protect your computer for the $30-60 it takes every year. Your computer and your data are worth at least that much.

Good luck.

KinderGlocken
10-15-2004, 13:41
I 2nd AVG you can find it here www.grisoft.com

nigneil146
10-15-2004, 14:25
I'm a big fan of NOD32 by Eset for an antivirus. Very, very little resources used and great protection. I highly recommend giving it a shot. They have a 30 day trial.

I used norton for a long time and I will never, ever go back to using it. It takes over your system, uses alot of resources, slows everthing down, and just plain sucks IMO.

I also have AVG installed as a backup. It's a great scanner, but it lacks alittle in the "resident shield" department.

fastvfr
10-15-2004, 17:17
I always use AVAST! and AVG to replace Norton or McAfee in client's PC's.

Seems that AVG is now releasing their updates at a faster rate than any of the Pay-As-You-Go companies...and I have yet to remove a virus (other than a trojan) from a machine set up with either of these FREE products.

Try running the Avert Stinger on some of these Norton-'protected' PC's and you'll wonder how there was any room for anything BESIDES viruses!

I hate Symantec products. I used to recommend their products before they began to produce intentionally flawed code to drum up business for their phone techs, but now Trend gets the nod; and the other companies that withhold the virus-definition files for your expensive and legally-obtained security products, pending their receipt (extortion?) of perpetual payments, can go suck eggs.

Best regards,

FastVFR

PS. Let me remind you that I make almost 30% of my income most months REMOVING high-priced antivirus apps like Norton and replacing them with AVAST! and AVG....draw your own conclusions.

saber41
10-16-2004, 08:14
FastVFR,

Do you use the free versions of AVAST or AVG for yourself and your clients or do you buy the licensed versions ??