O.K. to leave laptop turned on all day? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : O.K. to leave laptop turned on all day?

chisler
10-15-2004, 15:54
I just got a new Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop that I will use at work, and will rely on it to run some business software (would've got a desktop, but need a fairly portable platform). Any of you guys leave your laptops on for most of the day? I expect several periods in a day when I won't actually need to use the computer, but hate to think of numerous power up/power down cycles in a day, as well as just letting the thing run constantly. Am I worrying too much about it, or is there a consensus about whether it's best to leave it on or power down/up as needed? I'm likely to get a desktop eventually as funds permit, and let it run all day & use the laptop as backup.
Thanks for opinions.

RenegadeGlocker
10-15-2004, 15:57
Mine has been on 24/7 since I bought it 18 months ago, other than when it is off (suspend mode), when I am traveling with it.

chisler
10-15-2004, 16:14
Oh yeah.. as for power options.. any reason to utilize the "standby" or hibernate modes vs just turning it off?

Stanze
10-15-2004, 16:27
I have a Dell 1100(pre 1150-no internal wi-fi in the 1100, different power adaptor, no S-video port in 1150, only differences I can see). I haven't left it on ALL day and night, but have used the hell out of it during the day and night. If it's plugged in, should be fine to leave running 24/7...I'd set my screen saver/power save accordingly to keep the wear down on the LCD.

Heat was never an issue on my Dell, I use a 2.4 Celeron so it doesn't get too hot, but I downloaded a temp reading program, http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/ right now it's at 35-36 Cel. 70 Cel. is considered hot. I figured if I keep it running on the cooler side it should slow wear. I also put it on a plastic spacer to keep the air flowing undernength it.

I plan on using mine until it breaks or becomes obsolete whichever comes first.;f

fastvfr
10-15-2004, 17:05
Just make sure its battery charger isn't on the Recall list...

Those things can do some really nasty things when they fail. I'm talking -burn your house down- nasty!

Hopefully you don't have one of those.

Best regards,

FastVFR

PS. Even a laptop benefits greatly from the use of an uninterruptible power supply. Especially if it is always on.

HerrGlock
10-15-2004, 18:14
Mine only gets turned off to travel with. I've changed the power supply to the one not recalled but it's always on. Yes, UPS is a good thing for computers, even laptops.

DanH

Jtemple
10-15-2004, 18:29
I'm a software developer for a local trucking company. To give us the ability to work from anywhere in the office, including at home, the entire programming staff works on laptops. We work on them all day, 9-10 hours a day, 5 days a week. They are never turned off during the day.

We have been doing that for years, with no problems yet. Although, we get new laptops every couple of years.

chevrofreak
10-15-2004, 19:00
I leave mine on 24/7

Even had an uptime of 37 days before i needlessly rebooted.

Jeff S.
10-15-2004, 20:14
Almost never turn my PB off

chisler
10-15-2004, 22:28
Wow- had no idea people run their laptops so long at once. Eases my mind a lot. You can tell I'm new at this.. sort of like "How soon will I need to replace the barrel of my .38 special if I shoot a box of factory loads every month?";a

proguncali
10-15-2004, 22:30
24/7 for mine unless I have to shut it down or reboot....

kfoley
10-15-2004, 23:14
24/7 and I usually reboot once a month or so when w2k starts bogging down.

1911lover
10-16-2004, 12:54
Just to be sure you don't run into problems, elivate the back end of it to prevent overheating

chisler
10-16-2004, 20:07
By elevating the back, I guess you mean to let the fan have good access to airflow.. good point. I checked my power cord adapter, and as best I can tell it's not involved in the recall.

greenlead
10-16-2004, 21:59
Originally posted by chisler
Oh yeah.. as for power options.. any reason to utilize the "standby" or hibernate modes vs just turning it off?
These store the RAM image on the hard drive. So, when you turn it on, you are right back to where you left off.

NetNinja
10-17-2004, 00:04
Just have it go into screen saver mode by just letting the screen go black.

Some laptops don't like going into standby mode.

Also don't power down the harddrive if you want speedy access when you get back to your machine.

ronin_asano
10-18-2004, 15:37
Originally posted by chisler

i prefer hibernate to standby because hibernate actually kills power on the machine.

mine is on about 16 hours a day, it gets hibernated when going to and from work, or walking the halls between meetings.

BikerGoddess
10-18-2004, 17:27
I leave mine on most of the time. Lots of problems. I've had something like 8-9 chassis since I started this job. Somehow, I think it's more related to the type of machine than the fact I leave it on, though.

If you set it up on a hard surface with room around it, then you don't need to raise the back. The fans are designed to work with the computer in the normal operating position. If you want to use the legs to change the position of the keyboard, though, feel free. Just make sure that nothing gets set on it or right next to it that could restrict airflow.

Ditto the power supply. Fire is bad.

I don't hibernate or suspend. If I'll be in transit less than 2 hours (the battery life), I just shut the lid and take it with me or power down if it's been starting to run slowly (well, more slowly). I save everything that's important to me on a regular basis (and do backups), so it's just a matter of bootup time. And I don't do anything so important that 5 minutes will make any difference.

Laura

lomfs24
10-19-2004, 01:30
Faster boot ups is the only reason I use hibernate. I like hibernete better than suspend because the machine gets completely shut off. I still have to do a real reboot about once every two weeks. Gotta love those AMD's.

I have another laptop that is a dual boot Slackware/LFS machine that has uptimes of 40 plus days and the only reason I rebooted was I wanted to use the other operating system.

N2DFire
10-19-2004, 11:36
At work we were given Dell Latitude 800's. THese are our primary work systems during the day (expanded w/ docking station to use full size keyboard, track ball & 3 17" monitors).
Ours run all day 8-5 and get shut down every evening for me to carry home (for possible after hours support / trouble) Haven't had a problem yet.

Slightly off topic but I never shut down my home system unless a patch or software install requires a reboot, otherwise it's been running 24/7 for over 3 years now.