Google Desktop? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Google Desktop?

1911lover
10-16-2004, 12:56
I just downloaded GOOGLE DESKTOP, it works great! it searches evey file, web page viewed, email, and chat message on your p.c. What is google coming out with next?

Sammy D

Jtemple
10-16-2004, 13:53
Hmm, haven't heard of that one. I'll check it out.

bobby_w
10-16-2004, 13:58
All your base belong to Google.

I have not looked into it, but were is the information stored?
On Googles Servers? That would kind of creep me out.

mzenzer
10-16-2004, 14:19
Considering Google's reputation of "never throwing any data away", and other privacy concerns, I'd be hard pressed to use their service for a personal search engine, cataloging all my files.

NetNinja
10-16-2004, 15:16
Google spyware

Delete it.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/000264.html

1911lover
10-16-2004, 15:24
Yeh, i read all of that, for now, I only use it on my p.c.that i mainly use for surfing the web, and gmail emails, once it comes out of beta, it should havemost of the bugs worked out. Google now has to satasfy custumers or they will nolonger recieve support through stocks

greenlead
10-16-2004, 22:00
I saw an article about it in the newspaper today.

Warrior2k3
10-16-2004, 22:09
I've heard the Google originators are anti-gun and refuse to support any gun website. This obtained from sixgunner.com Because of this, I never use Google.

hwyhobo
10-17-2004, 00:43
Originally posted by Warrior2k3
I've heard the Google originators are anti-gun and refuse to support any gun website.Could you be more precise, please? What do you mean by "refuse to support any gun website"?

Texas T
10-17-2004, 08:00
Originally posted by bobby_w
I have not looked into it, but were is the information stored?
On Googles Servers? That would kind of creep me out. No, the program requires 500mb on your own pc. "If" you allow it to, it will send usage reports back home but without any personal identifying information. I've got it loaded on my PC and it's currently indexing all my info.

T

Warrior2k3
10-17-2004, 08:18
Originally posted by hwyhobo
Could you be more precise, please? What do you mean by "refuse to support any gun website"?

http://www.ravnwood.com/archives/002113.shtml

hwyhobo
10-17-2004, 12:08
Ah, refuse advertising. I guess I have a higher "outrage point" than that. Since advertising on Google consists of a listing on the right side I never have clicked on yet in all the years I use google, I kind yawn on this one.

Texas T
10-17-2004, 12:09
It's still indexing, but when I do a Google search the first section of responses will be related items on my pc and then it is followed by related items on the web.

Warrior2k3
10-17-2004, 13:55
Originally posted by hwyhobo
Ah, refuse advertising. I guess I have a higher "outrage point" than that. Since advertising on Google consists of a listing on the right side I never have clicked on yet in all the years I use google, I kind yawn on this one.

Every journey begins with a single step...

Texas T
10-17-2004, 16:04
I've heard the Google originators are anti-gun and refuse to support any gun website. This obtained from sixgunner.com Because of this, I never use Google.

http://directory.google.com/Top/Shopping/Recreation/Guns/

The fact that they choose not to do business with someone is their choice. Your decision to see that as some sort of slippery slope is your choice.

They also don't run ads for hard alcohol. Do you see this as the beginning of another prohibition era?

SamBuca
10-17-2004, 16:52
This is not spyware. By definition, spyware installs itself through trickery. Google Desktop is installed intentionally and it tells you exactly what it's doing.

If you don't want it indexing private things, don't use it. However, don't attempt to damage its reputation by calling it spyware or badmouthing it...it's just doing what it was designed to do.

Warrior2k3
10-17-2004, 17:02
Originally posted by Texas T
http://directory.google.com/Top/Shopping/Recreation/Guns/

The fact that they choose not to do business with someone is their choice. Your decision to see that as some sort of slippery slope is your choice.

They also don't run ads for hard alcohol. Do you see this as the beginning of another prohibition era?

Bringing awareness only. If you choose to use them that is your choice. I choose not to. I see a huge difference in your comparison with alcohol and firearms. In case you haven't noticed, there is a campaign to get rid of guns in this country, not alcohol. I know at one time there was but that battle was fought and won. This battle must now be fought and people must make their own stands. I choose this one as one of mine. If you choose not to then you must follow your own conscience.

mzenzer
10-17-2004, 17:09
For those who don't want to use Google, here is a similar alternative.

http://www.alltheweb.com/

1911lover
10-17-2004, 18:29

Thers a storry behind that that i saw in some newspaper where either google, or an affiliate was sued beacause a kid was looking for a rubberband gun type thing, and a link about guns came up, the liberal mom caught her son, and sued. Now what links would come up if the boy was doing a research on baby chickens, and he typed in "chicks" or "young chicks"

hwyhobo
10-18-2004, 18:49
Originally posted by 1911lover
Thers a storry behind that that i saw in some newspaper where either google, or an affiliate was sued beacause a kid was looking for a rubberband gun type thing, and a link about guns came up [...]Google's prohibition on gun ads (among others) is not related to their listing links or not. They most certainly do list gun-related links.