Kitty pottying all over the place [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kitty pottying all over the place

norton
10-17-2004, 18:38
Wife and i rescued a kitten, brought it home. Purchased a new litter box, my wife is very particular about removing waste almost as soon as its deposited. So the box is clean.
This cat however, seems to want to pee all over our house. Last night we came home and found it had wizzed on our bed spread.
Cat is almost full grown now. A male. Its been with us about 6 weeks.
He is taking that trip to the vet this week for the bix fix. Do you think this will solve the problem, or do I need to look for another solution?
I am thinking about a Glock solution

Just kidding:)

MrsKitty
10-17-2004, 18:40
The neutering will go a long way toward fixing him. While he is at the vet, use an enzyme cleaner to thoroughly clean all spots he has marked.

ATL Peach Girl
10-18-2004, 01:22
Norton..........

It's possible that the cat has a urinary tract infection, they will do that if they have a problem.

Have the vet check him when you take him in and talk to the vet directly and tell him the kitten is peeing all over......

If an infection is ruled out talk to the vet about your options....it could be behavioral, and the vet may have a medication that he can give the cat to alter this behavior.

Male cats are suseptable to urinary stones that cause pain and blockages.

I had a cat that had F.U.S. (Feline Urologic Syndrome) a few years back and he had quite a few infections, and stones. Cost me a TON of money....Now days they make foods that are lower in magnesium and ash that cause the stones in the first place. Several of the over the counter foods (Purina One Urinary Tract Formula, Friskies Urinary formula in the blue bag or box, and then Science Diet sold at Petsmart and Petco) also make the urine more acidic that prevent the stones from forming in the first place. Urine that is alakli will form stones more readily......

I only give my cats Science Diet dry foods as they are lower in megnesium and ash. The vets also advise against giving cats tuna or fish canned cat foods as they are higher in magnesium. My cats only get TURKEY or CHICKEN canned foods.....and I check the ash content on the sides of the can, the vet told me poultry canned foods are lower in ash and megnesium......try and get it lower than 3.0%...the lower the better.

I have been down this road before and use total preventative treatment in my cats.

MrsKitty
10-18-2004, 22:10
A few cats HATE a spotless litter box. Maybe try not cleaning it so often? Or leaving a little behind?

What kind of litter are you using? Is it scented? The cat may hate the perfumes.

Pug Puppy
10-20-2004, 11:27
Old animal hospital trick: Rub the kitten's front and back feet both in the litter box. THat should instantly toilet train your kitten.

norton
10-21-2004, 16:36
Thanks for all the suggestions. Taylor is going to the Vet tomorrow for the big snip. He will be staying there a week while the wife and I are on vacation. I was told sometimes cats get the hint on the litter box by staying in a cage for a week.

norton
10-29-2004, 15:09
Taylor, the former stud kitty, is now back from the vet.
He didn't even act like anything was missing.
Maybe he hasn't noticed yet. He was racing around the house, jumping at our collie k.c.

ATL Peach Girl
10-29-2004, 21:49
Originally posted by norton
Taylor, the former stud kitty, is now back from the vet.
He didn't even act like anything was missing.
Maybe he hasn't noticed yet. He was racing around the house, jumping at our collie k.c.

is he using his box????? (hoping so!!!)

MrsKitty
10-29-2004, 22:13
Poor Taylor ^3

Has he slowed down enough to even use the box? ;a

norton
10-30-2004, 16:57
So far, so good. He is using the box.

norton
11-19-2004, 12:45
Update on kitty.
Taylor uses his box, but we just cannot let him in our bedroom. Last night he urinated on our bed while Mrs. Norton was in it watching TV.
Bad Kitty!

Harrison
11-26-2004, 18:38
We just took a porch kitty (Molly) into the house. We had her fixed, brought her home the next day and keep her secluded in a bedroom for a few days. She had no litterbox problems until we started introducing her to our other two cats.

For a couple of weeks it was hit and miss on the litter box. I did quite a bit of internet searching and came across the website below that has loads of information about this problem. It seems that a cat can become stressed out over almost anything and expresses this by not using the litterbox.

There was a lot of hissing and carrying on the first several days, but everyone seems to be settling down now. All the cats seem to be using one another's litterboxes now and Molly hasn't missed a litter box in several days. I don't know if that is because they are becoming more comfortable with the situation or it's an "I'll show you!" situation.

Anyway, lots of information here:

http://www.catsinternational.org/index.html

BPD07
11-26-2004, 21:22
If you believe that the cat is stressed out, you can get a facial pheromone dispenser. It plugs in the wall with a little bottle underneath, a small heating element slowly evaporates it. The bottle lasts 4-6 weeks. Refills are around $14 the dispenser with one bottle is around $20.

Cats have scent glands on their cheeks, thats why they rub the sides of their heads on you and other cats they are friendly with. They are marking their home and "family." Cats spraying all over are feeling threatened by something and are marking their claim to "home"
The facial pheromone makes them feel at home and helps them to relax.

obxprnstar
12-01-2004, 21:32
My wife had a siamese cat that was doing the same thing. Due to our work schedule we are away from the house about 26 hrs at a time (24 on 48 off schedule) The cat was fine as long as we were home, but would get mad when we were gone, or if we were home if the kids were at school. It would stand at the door to their room and meow, loud. We couldn't take the pissing all over the house though and the cat has been placed with an elderly coupple via the local SPCA

CaliTheKid
12-17-2004, 17:17
Just a note on cleaning the box too soon after a "deposit" is made. I had a few problems with my cat and like your wife was very quick to clean after a defecation. I was advised by the vet not to let the cat "see" me cleaning out his box just after using it. Many are fussy about being the "only" ones who touch their box and resent those who "touch it". I did and it helped. Peeing the bed can be an attention getter by the cat. This may sound out there but I think the cat might resent your wife for touching it's litter box. It's very telling that it chose to urinate the bed while she was in it. I would have her stop cleaning the box so quickly, spend some additional time being affectionate to the kitty (let her give the kitty it's occasional treats for a while) and restrict it's access to the bedroom for a month or so. Then slowly let it have limted access and expand it from there. Good luck!

EUPHER49
12-17-2004, 23:36
What enzyme spray do you recommend? I heard that cats don't care for citrus
odors, do you have any experience with those?

CaliTheKid
12-18-2004, 17:43
Get Natures Miracle. It comes in a liquid for cleaning floors and rugs and they also have a powder for which is a little box treatment to help oder. It works very well. I also use a small black light that causes urine to glow which helps me make sure I didn't miss anything. They sell these at most large pet stores.

EUPHER49
12-22-2004, 17:09
Cali,

Many thanks!!