Adding Second Hard Drive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Adding Second Hard Drive

Cali-Glock
10-18-2004, 09:08
I want to pull the hard drive out of a dying computer and add it as a second slave drive on another computer. I figured out the jumper settings (remove the jumper) to make the second drive a slave drive, but when I hook it up to my other computer and try to boot the computer it does not boot. Pull the second drive and the PC does boot. :(

Any suggestions?

HerrGlock
10-18-2004, 09:20
Removing the jumper usually means it's the master. Not good if you want it the slave of that set of disks.

Make sure the primary drive within the computer is either cable select or master and the second one is cable select or slave.

If you have the primary drive's jumper set to cable select and have it on the wrong set of connections on the cable, that may screw it up.

DanH

tna55
10-18-2004, 14:14
Also make sure the ribbon cable isn't hooked up backwards.

ThinkOfTheChildren
10-18-2004, 14:18
Some drives will have a different jumper setting for "Master, no slave present" and "Master with slave present." I found this out the hard way when I installed a slave drive with the proper jumper settings and all of a sudden my computer was telling me there was no boot disk. And yes, I did have the cables connected properly.

So make sure the jumper settings are correct on the primary in addition to the slave.