Video cards and PCI express buss [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Video cards and PCI express buss

cliffb
10-18-2004, 13:25
I'd been thinking of upgrading to a new video card from my ATI 9600XT. Call of Duty and Doom III is kind of tough on it.
So, I get on Tom's Hardware Guide and decide for the money the ATI X700 Pro or GeForce 6600 GT look pretty good.
Then I realize these cards are only available in something called PCI express, not AGP.
WTH is that?? Guess I've been sleeping. When did PCI express come along? These new cards are not even available in AGP (yet).
Am I missing something? Seems dumb for card manufacturers to introduce cards with an interface most of us can't use.
I really don't want to build a new system just to use update my graphics card. Guess I'll wait until they come out in AGP.

NetNinja
10-18-2004, 15:06
http://news.com.com/PCI+Express+to+usher+in+PC+changes/2100-1008_3-985809.html?tag=nl

New to me also.

I am happy with my AGP slot

Nvidia FX5950 Ultra

ronin_asano
10-18-2004, 15:34
pci express has been in the making for some time. it was screwed up for a while, but they supposedly got the kinks out of it recently and now systems will support it.

if it works like it says it will, it will be nice to have. but like always, let other people beta test before you spend your cash.

10-18-2004, 15:36
PCI Express is a new slot type, currently designed to replace AGP, but it will eventually replace PCI also. Its a serial bus and its scalable - which means it takes less physical traces in the board to implement and its fast, instead of PCIs measley 133Mhz bandwidth, you get a 2.5Ghz bandwidth.

Its scalable (x1, x2, etc...), so cards can be offered only with the inteface thats needed, for example high end video cards will want as much bandwidth as possible, so they will x16 cards. Modems/NICs/audio cards will probably come in x1 or x2 format as they won't use all that much I/O.

chevrofreak
10-18-2004, 16:34
AGP = Old And Busted

PCI-E = New Hotness

;)

PCI-E would be fast enough to run probably 10 SCSI hard drives at once. That would kick major ass!

troyboy30
10-18-2004, 19:33
it runs my x800xt just fine

RaiderRodney
10-21-2004, 16:12
Originally posted by chevrofreak
AGP = Old And Busted

PCI-E = New Hotness

;)

PCI-E would be fast enough to run probably 10 SCSI hard drives at once. That would kick major ass!

Hehe, yeah or maybe:

AGP - 1-way 2 lane road
PCI Exp - 16-lane interstate

yep, it will be that big a difference, but you have to consider what does the card require bandwidth wise. I am running older AGP 4x board with my X800 Pro, does fine. It will be several years before you see cards that will truly benefit from the PCI Express I think.