Looking for an inexpensive laptop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an inexpensive laptop

dave5339
10-18-2004, 14:25
Hi all,

Having just learned an expensive lesson on Ebay with a laptop I am looking for someplace where I can find a reasonable laptop with a warranty.

All I want to do is a little wireless surfing while at home, run Quicken, and maybe play a few older games. I don't need the latest and greatest, I just want something that works.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

NetNinja
10-18-2004, 15:02
Expensive lesson?

What did you do? Send someone a money Order and they never sent you the laptop?

Since eBay was going to be my first choice, I would suggest going to the local computer shops in your area.

You aren't going to get a very long warranty, maybe 30 days.

Most of the laptops I see from those places are overpriced. But you never know.

I would buy a Thinkpad and then purchase yourself a wireless card.
Nwer laptops have them built in. Older laptops need a wireless card that plugs into the pcmcia slot.

How much are you looking to be reasonable? laptops are not cheap.

Try this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31554&item=6715136604&rd=1

The processor is not made for heavy gamming but will do what you need it to. It also comes with the wireless built in.
Looks like it comes with windows XP, but I think it will be the home edition, no problem for your needs.

dave5339
10-18-2004, 15:23
I had bought a Compaq PII 366 on Ebay. See my previous thread here on Tech Talk for the problems.

Within two days of arrival it was dead. I've emailed the seller but I don't have much hope of getting my money back. The best I'm hoping for is to be able to part it out and recover some of my money.

Thanks for the help.

Semper Fi