parabellum, SHTF etc... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : parabellum, SHTF etc...

cebuboy
10-19-2004, 07:49
hi guys, i'm kind of curious why the 9x19mm round is called the parabellum?? any info? any relations with the phrase "si vis pacem parabellum"?

SHTF- "**** hits the fan", basing from the posts here, i think it means "in trouble". anybody care to explain whats with the **** hitting the fan?:)

horge
10-19-2004, 08:26
parabellum simply means 'for war'.
I disagree, but some folks hold that the 9mm suffixed apellation is entirely drawn off a well-worn quote from a popular, late-period Roman treatise:

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
(Thus, let him who wishes for peace prepare for war.)
-- Flavius Vegetius Renatus. ( fl. c. 375 AD)
De Rei Militari aka Epitoma Rei Militari

The paraphrased
"si vis pacem, para bellum"
(If (you wish to) see peace, (prepare) for war.)
supposedly appears in the prologue of Book III.

'General' Vegetius was not a battle-hardened man. His treatises were a casual scholar's call (or agitprop, if you will) for a declining Rome to return to its ancient militaristic traditions, and drew very heavily on the previous written works of others. It is thus likely that his much-quoted little maxim on military preparedness,

"si vis pacem, para bellum"

was merely borrowed from an earlier source. Marcus Tullius Cicero, Scipio Africanus Major and Appius Claudius Caecus are often mentioned, but there is apparently no real record of their presenting the maxim. Howsoeverbeit, the principle embodied in the maxim is so evident that it would have been expressed in various ways over the millennia since early man first made war. Such a truth is plainly evident

:)

(I posted this same crap some time back at THR here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85682), hehe...)

julianz
10-19-2004, 08:30
this is rocket science for me, ill stick with cutting body parts ;f ;f

good info^c

horge
10-19-2004, 08:42
But wait... there's more ;f ;f ;f

SHTF

This late 30's phrase originated in the United States, in journalistic circles. When the shyte hits the fan, you see, the mess and especially the stink, is maximized.

A massive scandal's expose', implicating many VIP's, was the sort of situation originally described by the phrase. Now it seems to means any really messy disaster.

In survivalist circles SHTF is a disaster causing major disruption of society;s functioning, albeit temporary. It is a few notches less severe than TEOTWAWKI --the latter being the worst conceivable S to hit the F

;)

cebuboy
10-20-2004, 04:00
thanks for the info horge:) btw the phrase is also similar to sun tzu's "in time of peace, prepare for war..." anyway, how come they call the 9 the parabellum?? :) i think i need to read some of them roman stuff:)

Alexii
10-20-2004, 07:26
Don't you just love Latin?;f

Freakin' genius that guy who suffixed the 9mm with the word
Parabellum aka "prepare for war".

Great info, horge ^c

atmarcella
10-20-2004, 09:08
horge do you have a P.H.D. or something? or do you just read a lot, you should meet my brother-in-law, he's a surgeon, who reads and drinks a lot:)

horge
10-20-2004, 17:39
atmarcella, good heavens, no Ph.D I'm afraid.
I'm just an idiot quoting my betters.
Don't listen to 'me', but listen to them through me, hehe.

:)

New_comer
10-20-2004, 18:31
Originally posted by horge
It is a few notches less severe than TEOTWAWKI --the latter being the worst conceivable S to hit the F ;)
As in...???

Eye Cutter
10-20-2004, 19:33
NC, you're asking the meaning of TEOTWAWKI?

the end of the world as we know it

atmarcella
10-21-2004, 04:49
btw, just watched the punisher, his motto was "if you want peace, prepare for war", kinda like the cold war ronald reagan theory "MAD"(mutually assured destruction), thing is, it worked!

cebuboy
10-21-2004, 05:15
Originally posted by atmarcella
btw, just watched the punisher, his motto was "if you want peace, prepare for war",

i think that phrase has been around ever since man knew how to make war.

New_comer
10-21-2004, 06:16
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
NC, you're asking the meaning of TEOTWAWKI?

the end of the world as we know it Yes, I was...

Thanks a lot, doc! ^c

TACIGTBOSC!

This Acronym Crap Is Getting To Be Oh So Confusing! :drool: ;P ;)

doctabako
10-21-2004, 10:51
Don't forgot FUBAR ;f which seems to be a favorite in war movies. For those who are clueless about it it means "Fucxxd up beyond all recognition" :) which is what I want to happen to all those involved in the AFP comptroller scandal.:(

glockfan33
10-21-2004, 23:52
Help!!! I'm having brain spasms...;g

Great info Horge!!!^c

atmarcella
10-22-2004, 04:58
Originally posted by doctabako
Don't forgot FUBAR ;f which seems to be a favorite in war movies. For those who are clueless about it it means "Fucxxd up beyond all recognition" :) which is what I want to happen to all those involved in the AFP comptroller scandal.:(

pare grabe talaga, an apartment worth $780k, i think those guys stole more money than erap, they should not be given due process, dpat mag disappear na lang sila and their bodies discovered later, notice i mentioned "those guys" cos i'm sure it goes all the way to the top;b due process is just another word for delay so that they can withdraw all their stolen money

doctabako
10-22-2004, 10:02
Originally posted by atmarcella
pare grabe talaga, an apartment worth $780k, i think those guys stole more money than erap, they should not be given due process, dpat mag disappear na lang sila and their bodies discovered later, notice i mentioned "those guys" cos i'm sure it goes all the way to the top;b due process is just another word for delay so that they can withdraw all their stolen money

In fact that General and his cohorts may turn out to be worse than Erap and FVR combined. Garapal!!!!;P Yes, it is highly unlikely that he's alone and millions more must have been siphoned off the country. Poor soldiers, they barely make ends meet, make do with antiquated arms, save up on ammo for practice and here is their Fat Cat General and his family wallowing in absolute luxury. No wonder we're in a depression;g

bass one
10-22-2004, 20:12
pare grabe talaga, an apartment worth $780k, i think those guys stole more money than erap, they should not be given due process, dpat mag disappear na lang sila and their bodies discovered later, notice i mentioned "those guys" cos i'm sure it goes all the way to the top due process is just another word for delay so that they can withdraw all their stolen money If you've seen the latest reality show "The Apprentice" you'll know how lavish that trump tower unit is...speaking of which, I love that show!