Asus MB won't load OS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Asus MB won't load OS

RBR
10-19-2004, 23:13
I've emailed Asus with no reply yet and searched the web. This is the 2nd one to do this. All my hardware seems to be recognized in the BIOS.

ASUS P4P800SE MB, after installation it will not load my operating system. I can get to the BIOS screens but after OK'ing there it takes me to a screen that says there was an error and to select startup (safe-mode,normal etc.). None of these options will load the operating system. Everything works fine with old P4S533 MB

System:

Microsoft XP Home operating system
Intel CPU P4/2.4GHz 533M 478pin/512K Northwood Core
(2) Kingston 512MB DDR333 PC 2700 Memory
Western Digital HD 7200rpm 8MB
Asus v9520 Magic (GeForce FX 5200) video-card
470 Watt power Supply

Any ideas?

NetNinja
10-20-2004, 00:57
Wait Wait,

You need to supply more details.

What EXACTLY did you do?

You didn't build a new system and switch the Hard Drive did you?

If you did that's a whole lot more than your system not booting up.

Come on! a little help here.

Throw me a bone!

chevrofreak
10-20-2004, 01:42
When you replace a motherboard with a different one than was originally in it when the OS was installed, this is what happens.

I dont know if the XP disc has a bootdisk folder, but if it does, make the boot disks, boot the computer, then do a repair, and select automatic. It should help enough. You will be better off copying the stuff you need to another drive, then formatting and starting from scratch.

Sinister Angel
10-20-2004, 08:04
Except for hard drives and CD-Rom/DVD drives, I'm generally going to Re-os a machine with the change or addition of new hardware. It makes life easier for me. Anyone else follow that guideline?

fastvfr
10-20-2004, 14:17
SA, I do that for all my builds, too. It isn't always NECESSARY, but that's the only way to be sure it'll begin its life optimized.

RBR, it could be that the HDD is not jumpered correctly for the new board. If you have Performance Enhancement enabled for the P-ATA and S-ATA controllers, they become even more sensitive. SUSE won't even load on my rig until the Enhanced Mode is set to SATA only...

You will need to reinstall your OS, and possibly need to reformat beforehand as well to get it working properly.

Even a Restore install will necessitate a call to Redmond for a new Activation Code....so be prepared for that.

The old OS has only drivers for your old rig in its registry, so it will not work properly with the new MOBO. And, as you have discovered, it usually won't even boot.

Never install an OS on a HDD that will be used in a different system. Unless the two PC's are totally identical down to the last chip and capacitor, there will be problems.

Good luck,

FastVFR

RBR
10-20-2004, 21:56
The system was up and running (I built it a few years ago) and I was attempting to replace MB's only. The new one had USB 2.0 & 4X AGP unlike the old MB. So I'm guessing from the responses that the OS has to be reloaded at this time also?