Please help me pick dig. cam. for wife. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Please help me pick dig. cam. for wife.

havensal
10-20-2004, 06:08
I am looking to buy my wife a digital camera for Christmas.
I don't want to spend more than $300 if I can help it.
She is not a photographer, nor am I.
All the bells and whistles are fine but not necesary.
Right now I am trying to decide between the Kodak DX7440 (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/9/19/131/2244&pq-locale=en_US) and the CX7530 (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2237&pq-locale=en_US) , although I am not set on this.
What is your opinion on these?
I am leaning toward the 7440 but I don't like the batery pack idea. Does anyone here have one?
How long do they last? Thanks.;c

pal2511
10-20-2004, 07:02
I would stay away from the cybershot sony digital cameras. I work part time in a one hour photo lab..and I also have a sony cybershot..I dont care for it. THe pictures always seem to turn out dark unless you brighten them manualy...Kodaks are generally good cameras. Make sure you get a camera with an optical zoom. Do NOT worry about the digital zoom because typically that is not gonna be any good. Try epinions.com for some reviews of cameras

Soujurn
10-20-2004, 07:05
I am going to go buy a camera today. I have narrowed my choice to the Canon S1 IS. It is more than $300 though. $379 at Costco.
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=9824&sa=true
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/images/d_camera/s1is_586x225.jpg

pal2511
10-20-2004, 07:09
Ya if you can check out a discount warehouse club like sams club or costco. You will most likely get a decent deal there. If not check online.

Sulaco
10-20-2004, 07:18
In my opinion, Canon and then Nikon are good in the lower end or "point and click" market. I started off with Fuji and really like the way they process the images but am now with Canon for price/feature ratio. You really get a lot for your money with Canon. I like the PowerShot series of cameras a lot.

Soujorn, I looked at that camera also, but decided not to get it. dpreview.com's Review was not stellar and it has no macro mode. However, the zoom is nice.

This Canon PowerShot A95 (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3761050/search=canon%20powershot) starts at $284.00 through PriceGrabber. Here (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona95/) is a great review of the camera.

Here's an excerpt from that review;

"If the A95 proves anything it is that you don't need to spend a huge amount of money to get stunning results, a metal body and a wealth of photographic controls. Whether you're an absolute beginner - for whom the extensive new subject modes are ideal - or a seasoned snapper wanting total control, the A95 should certainly be on your shopping list if you're on a tight budget. You can get faster, nicer looking, sleeker and more polished 5MP 3x zoom compacts, but you'll struggle to get considerably better results without spending a lot, lot more money."

Courtesy www.dpreview.com

Good luck and let us know what you do!

Jeep274
10-20-2004, 07:20
I'm a big fan of Fugi Digital Cameras. I have a Finepix 3800 that takes incredible pictures. The Fugi's are very user friendly, with easy to navigate menus. My wife is not very good with technical things and she has no problem using it. I don't have experience with the ones you listed, but don't buy one before you check out the Fugi models.

http://www.epinions.com/Fuji_FinePix_3800_Digital_Camera_Digital_Cameras/display_~latest_prices

G30Jack
10-20-2004, 07:33
I have a Minolta Dimage 7i that is awesome but a battery hog. I use my Pentaz Optio 30 I got at Wally World for 189.00 all the time. It's a nice, easy to use camera.

Jack

Dragline
10-20-2004, 09:31
Originally posted by Sulaco
In my opinion, Canon and then Nikon are good in the lower end or "point and click" market.

Canon PowerShot A95

Good luck and let us know what you do!

Agree, Canon A95 looks fantastic for the price. Want to spend a bit less and still get a great little dit cam? Go with the Canon A80.

digitalpaladin1
10-20-2004, 09:39
Look at reviews from CNET.

Click Me (http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.dir)

havensal
10-20-2004, 09:58
I just checked out the A95. This looks like a good camera and I already have CompactFlash cards to fit it. I like the idea of using NIMH AA baterias (I have plenty) instead of a battery pack. It may be a tad more expensive, but I can save more by not having to buy allot of extras.

A few more questions. How are the printer docks? Are they worth it? What is dye-sublimation printing? Are they better/cheaper to run than inkjet? ;g

Thanks for all of the help. I owe all of you a beer.;c

labrat
10-20-2004, 10:34
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=fuji+s7000&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler

LOVE this camera.
LR

Sulaco
10-20-2004, 10:39
You don't need a dye-sublimation printer. Just get a good, 100 dollar inkjet that will do photo quality and you will be happy. I like HP printers personally.

NiMH AA's are fine and work better than propietary LiIon packs in most scenario's.

I don't know what you mean by a printer dock, but if it is something to plug your camera into the printer, just get a CompactFlash card reader and you are all set.

podwich
10-20-2004, 10:54
I've been leaning towards the Sony DSC-W1 for myself. It has a 2.5" 123k pixel LCD, 5 MP, very fast startup time, takes AA batteries, and costs $320 at newegg (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-150-046&depa=0).

Dragline
10-20-2004, 11:02
Do all the Sonys still use Memory Stick? This was always the drawback I felt about the Sony dit cams, locking you into the use of their proprietary media.

Dragline
10-20-2004, 11:06
Originally posted by havensal

A few more questions. How are the printer docks? Are they worth it? What is dye-sublimation printing? Are they better/cheaper to run than inkjet? ;g

Thanks for all of the help. I owe all of you a beer.;c

Any decent photo printer for under $200 will make fine prints for you. Another option is (well at least in my area) many grocery and drug stores have the Kodak photo printing centers on premises. You bring in your CF card and it makes prints right from your card while you wait. Cost is cheap enough, and quality is pretty nice too.

Thanks for the beer. ;f

muscles
10-20-2004, 11:14
i have 3 canon digi's...the 10d, a80 & s410. i also have 2 nikon digi's...the d70 and the coolpix5000. i prefer canon's usability over nikon. you absolutely cant go wrong with the a85, or a80. if you have no need for manual functions, check out the s410. its so small, that you are more apt to take it along with you...and as a result you get photo's that you never would have had. at least...thats been my experience.

printers...you dont need a dye sublimination printer. however, you may want to check out an ink jet that uses monochromatic archival ink. photos dont fade for 100yrs rather than the standard 15 or 20 yrs. i have the epson 2200 and its great. a bit pricey though. there are other options.

decide whats important to you.

havensal
10-20-2004, 12:31
OK just a few more questions and I should be done.;)

Which is better LCD or TFT?
Do I really care if the CCD is 1/1.8" or 1/2.5"?

I really appreciat you sharing all of your wisdome with me (and others I hope). My wife will be pleased.;f

fnfalman
10-20-2004, 12:36
Do all the Sonys still use Memory Stick? This was always the drawback I felt about the Sony dit cams, locking you into the use of their proprietary media.
-----------------------------------------

They still use Memory Sticks, but it seems like everybody and their brothers are making aftermarket Memory Sticks, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. I bought a Sony Cybershot DSC P150 recently. It came with the crappy Sony 32kb stick. I bought a 256kb stick that Sears carries from somebody I can't remember. It seems to work fast enough. But I'm going to buy a 512 stick from SanDisk soon. Between those two sticks, I ought to have enough memory to take a few pics.:cool:

bigjim
10-20-2004, 12:44
You're getting a digital camera for your wife?

That's what I call a good trade!!!

^5

(I can't believe I got to say it first)

sharpshooter
10-20-2004, 14:35
I like Canon Cameras myself, I have a PowerShot S30 and it rocks.

Megapixels- make sure you get the most MPs you can afford. 3.2MPs is fine if you want good 4x6 pictures with the ability to be able to zoom, crop a little, or print 5x7s or a few 8x10s. The more MPs you have, the clearer the pics are when you print larger. A lot of cameras out there now have 4-6MPs at good prices.

Zoom- optical zoom works great and is the most important. Digital zoom sucks and pixilates your images. You'll be disappointed with digital zoom quality.

Batteries- Digital cameras suck power like crazy, especially if you have the viewing screen on. Some cameras are rediculous about how much juice they burn. If your 35mm point and shoot gets 29 miles per gallon, your typical digital camera gets 3 miles per gallon. I'd make sure your camera takes Li-ion rechargable packs. They're pricey to replace of if you want to carry a spare, but they recharge pretty fast (about an hour) and last MUCH longer than regular AA batteries. The down side is that if you run out of juice during the middle of an event, you're out of luck unless you have a spare battery pack. You can stick your battery and charger in the wall real quick if you need to. If your camera takes AA batteries you can just replace them on the spot. But batteries are expensive and you'll burn thru a lot of them. $$$$

Memory cards: I'm not an expert on memory, but compact flash cards are pretty good. You'll want to make sure your camera doesn't have a built in fixed memory card that you can't replace. Most cameras come with a 16MB or 32MB card that is only good for a limitted number of images. The more megapixes you have, the more storage space you're going to need. At least a 128MB card is highly recommended, 256 is better, and 516 is best if you plan on taking lots of pics. Make sure you have enough battery or you won't ever be able to take that many pics.

Functions: All you really need is just the basics. You can do plenty of stuff on photoshop later if you want to.

Printers: You really don't need a color printer for pics. Costco does digital pics in one hour for $0.19 each and they turn out fantastic. Your home printer won't compare in quality unless you have a really super nice one for hundreds of dollars. Take your memory stick or CD to Costco and plug it into their machine and choose which ones you want printed. You can even choose B&W etc and burn the pics on a disk if you don't want to do it at home. Other stores do digital prints too, like Longs or Wallgreens. I'm sure Walmart will jump aboard soon too.

Printer ink is expensive, and so is paper. Don't bother spending more than $100 for a home color printer. And don't forget that ink cartriges will cost you at least $25 for black and $30 for color before you can even print your first pic. Printers don't come with ink in the box... Costco is pretty hard to beat!

We have a 3.2MP Canon PowerShot S30 with 3x optical zoom and 10x digital zoom and all the funtions. We rarely use any of the functions other than the basics. We have one Li-ion battery pack and a 128MB compact flash card. One of these days I'll pick up another battery and a bigger memory card. We can take about 77 pics on the highest quality settings with 128MB, and about 300 on the medium settings. The battery last pretty long unless you're constantly reviewing pics and using lots of flash. It's a fantastic camera.

okie
10-20-2004, 14:46
I have an Olympus. I like the hell out of the thing. As already stated get an optical zoom man;) :cool:

CheesyD
10-20-2004, 14:49
I've had a $700 Fuji digital camera and an $800 Nikon digital camera. I got rid of both and now have a less than $300 Canon Powershot S410 that takes better photos than either of the other two.

I bought mine here...

http://www2.buydigitaldirect.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=S410

They have it for $274 plus S&H.

You can read the CNET reviews on the camera here...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerShot_S410/4505-6501_7-30732124.html

94% of the users reviewing the camera gave it a thumb's up.

daveygunn
10-20-2004, 15:05
Originally posted by fnfalman
-----------------------------------------

They still use Memory Sticks, but it seems like everybody and their brothers are making aftermarket Memory Sticks, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. I bought a Sony Cybershot DSC P150 recently. It came with the crappy Sony 32kb stick. I bought a 256kb stick that Sears carries from somebody I can't remember. It seems to work fast enough. But I'm going to buy a 512 stick from SanDisk soon. Between those two sticks, I ought to have enough memory to take a few pics.:cool:

I think you mean 32Mb, 256Mb, and 512Mb...if you really mean Kb, then you arent gonna fit any pics on there at all.

Soujurn
10-20-2004, 16:26
Originally posted by Sulaco

Soujorn, I looked at that camera also, but decided not to get it. dpreview.com's Review was not stellar and it has no macro mode. However, the zoom is nice.

Maybe no dedicated Macro mode, but it does focus down to 10cm, (3.9"), which is pretty decent for that lense.

SanduneCC
10-20-2004, 16:59
I recommend the Canon A85 for less than $200 or A95 for less than $300. They both take AA batteries and CF cards. Do a price search on PriceGrabber.com before you buy - prices change daily.

DaveD
10-20-2004, 17:18
www.dpreview.com for more information than anyone needs.

Trebor
10-20-2004, 21:03
Good thread. Lots of good info. Thanks guys.

We just got our first Digicam, a HP 735 3.2 MP for $100 and we're already thinking about what we want for our second camera. That A95 looks good. I'll have to check to see if uses the same memory as the HP.

podwich
10-20-2004, 21:38
For cameras that take AA batteries you can buy 2100+ mAH NiMH rechargeable batteries. 4200 mAH will beat a lot of Li+ batteries and be a lot cheaper in the process-not to mention that if your batteries do die, you can just drop in a couple alkaline ones.

Sony's memory sticks are not nearly as expensive as they used to be. For example, you can buy a Sony 512 MB memory stick pro for $95 on newegg or a Sandisk one for $81. While this is still a fair bit more expensive than CF or SD, it's not insane like it used to be.

CCD size is described by some weird fractional thing. 1/1.8" is bigger than 1/2.5". Check http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=Sensor_Sizes for some explanation of this.

havensal
10-21-2004, 05:26
Thanks, you guys are the best. I am now in the market for an A95.;f ;a :)

Sulaco
10-21-2004, 20:53
double post

Sulaco
10-21-2004, 21:03
For cameras that take AA batteries you can buy 2100+ mAH NiMH rechargeable batteries. 4200 mAH will beat a lot of Li+ batteries and be a lot cheaper in the process-not to mention that if your batteries do die, you can just drop in a couple alkaline ones.

Yep.

Originally Posted By Sojourn:

Maybe no dedicated Macro mode, but it does focus down to 10cm, (3.9"), which is pretty decent for that lense.

I didn't realize it would focus down that low. That is good news. My only other hangup is with the not so great review by dpreview.com. I really put a lot of faith in the reviews there because they have never steered me wrong. If you get it, let us know what you think.

dglockster
10-23-2004, 22:06
How important is it for a camera to have firewire capability?

havensal
10-25-2004, 05:45
Originally posted by dglockster

That is a good question, I never thought about that. I would amagine that it is just faster at downloading than USB, but I will let somone else say for sure.

Jaegergirl
10-25-2004, 13:51
Originally posted by dglockster

if you have usb, then personally firewire is not important, at least in my opinion.

as far as cameras go, i've had both the olympus c3000 and c4040 and absolutely loved them both! easy to use, awesome pictures and olympus' customer service is awesome. great cameras in my opinion. we just upgraded to the nikon d70 and decided to keep the c4040 instead of selling it because i liked it so much.

as far as printers go, i had the epson 780 and it was a great little printer. about a year ago, i purchased the canon i960 and i tell you what, the pictures is prints is so darn amazing, even my father-in-law, who is an avid photographer, couldn't tell they were from an inkjet. i highly recommend it!

:)

Tvov
10-26-2004, 10:49
We also are looking at digital cameras, especially when we get the latest prints back from out existing 35mm. The prints have been not so great lately, and the cost of having film developed is really starting to get expensive.

This has been a great thread!

Sulaco
10-26-2004, 16:48
Firewire is faster than USB (both 1.0 and 2.0) which means data transfer rates are higher. If your camera is less than say 3 megapixels and you aren't transferring hundreds of pictures a week, I think USB is fine.

Olympus makes nice cameras also. They keep getting better too. I would say the top three brands are easily Canon, Nikon and Olympus in that order (as far as prosumer and under cameras are concerned anyway).

Dragline
10-27-2004, 13:36
Originally posted by podwich
Sony's memory sticks are not nearly as expensive as they used to be. For example, you can buy a Sony 512 MB memory stick pro for $95 on newegg or a Sandisk one for $81. While this is still a fair bit more expensive than CF or SD, it's not insane like it used to be.

I just ordered a 512MB CF card from buy.com for $35 with a $15 MIR which gets me it for $20.
Can't believe I once spent $70 for a 64MB CF card. this was back in 01.