Actual Inspection of a Purchased Pistol [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Actual Inspection of a Purchased Pistol

Alexii
10-20-2004, 07:45
Okay, here's a rant so buckle up.

We spend a lot acquiring that dream pistol. Prior to that some of us even research the pistols intricacies, often with more intensity and enthusiasm than a virgin at prom night. Then the day arrives and we were presented with a pistol that may be less than ideal (an E-series, slide overhanging 3mm over the frame, bushing not flush with the slide, a ding, a dent, a scratch, etc.). Then our excitement is out the door faster than greased lightning.

I know all about the "warehousing yada yada yada" at Camp Crame, but can't we just at least inspect the actual unit and jot down the serial number of the chosen unit we're getting before plunking down hard-earned cash?!

doctabako
10-20-2004, 07:59
I'm with you on that. We could reject the pistol if its not to our liking due to imperfections and wait for another unit to pass through ballistics and more paperwork but that takes a lot of time. Most of the time the buyer just makes do with the minor(or not so minor) imperfections and learns to live with it just so he could take his Baby home.
The only solution is for the Gun Shop to schedule trips to the the Crame warehouse to show the unit to the prospective buyer but that may not sit well with the FED or may prove to be a hassle to some. Even then that wouldn't guarantee that your unit will arrive spotless as it will be handled and test fired by the people there.

Ahhh, the trials we endure to acquire our toys. :)

9MX
10-20-2004, 08:00
so what brought the rant alexii?

jjserv
10-20-2004, 11:13
Originally posted by Alexii
Okay, here's a rant so buckle up.

We spend a lot acquiring that dream pistol. Prior to that some of us even research the pistols intricacies, often with more intensity and enthusiasm than a virgin at prom night. Then the day arrives and we were presented with a pistol that may be less than ideal (an E-series, slide overhanging 3mm over the frame, bushing not flush with the slide, a ding, a dent, a scratch, etc.). Then our excitement is out the door faster than greased lightning.

I know all about the "warehousing yada yada yada" at Camp Crame, but can't we just at least inspect the actual unit and jot down the serial number of the chosen unit we're getting before plunking down hard-earned cash?!

Actually this is not too difficult if you have the cooperation of the Gunstore "bodegero" at the FED warehouse. I have asked about and been shown actual units at the FED whenever I inquire about specific pistol stocks. Even though there is a sign prominently displayed at the gate "No Inspection Allowed" or something to that effect, this is not actually followed by the Gunstore bodegero or the cop manning the gate. Been there and seen 3 units at 3 different times already (a Glock, a Springfield 1911, and a Colt). Even Nashe stocks are pulled out and shown to an inquiring "buyer"... ;Q

This oppurtunity though may not be available to a gun buyer however, with your specific intention in mind. Remember, they (the Gustore) will be the one who will be troubled/hassled (and the related gastos) in case you insist on a change of unit due to imperfections. Maybe a reasonable tip to the Bodegero may buy you this chance...

horge
10-20-2004, 16:09
We've been down this road before. :(

This is why I prefer to buy the display unit, provided it hasn't been fondled into crumbs. You get to inspect the little bast. I did this with my [u]Bersa Thunder 380[/b], and I at least TRIED to do it for the Armscor Practical .45 FS DT I picked up yesterday. The latter pistol followed the usual sight-unseen warehouse route.

However... in neither case was I ever uninformed of the SN: the gun shop has to call up the FED warehouse to determine availability, and reserve the unit --THAT is where they can obtain for you the SN.

Buying sight unseen has been pretty frustrating.
I have a ding on the frame under the barrel, my slide stop seems to have a spot of corosion under the blue, and someone's pasty finger grunge is really worked into the skeletonized and reeded hammer. I never would have bought this specimen if I had seen it thus. Armscor didn't even throw in a plastic bushing wrench (mutter...mutter...), and I really want to disassemble this thing and inspect/clean the innards.

The folks at Starfire threw in a 10-pack of discounted XTP's too. I had ordered originally from Squires Bingham at the last gunshow, but cancelled my order after some pretty bad service --they were always polite, but I'll save that for a review after I shoot this thing's blueing off.

Where was I?
Oh right, 'sight-unseen buying'.
It's for idiots, and we've really no choice but to be idiots.
Worst case is paying for a unit that wasn't ever even IN the damn warehouse.
Next is paying for a unit that just got reserved by another shop.
Then of course there's paying for a unit that's there all right, but chock full o' flaws, and then dinged up by whichever sausage-fingered pakialamero molests the warehoused pistols on his lunch break.

Not everyone has the time to get friendly with the warehouse comptrollers/'bodegeros' at FED, so they'll fish out your particular unit; nor the inclination to.

:soap: :soap: :soap:

Alexii
10-20-2004, 20:06
Originally posted by 9MX
so what brought the rant alexii?

Nothing in particular yet, 9MX. But this became apparent to me only now, would you believe? I'm also aware that there are people who bought guns directly from the Crame warehouse-- got to choose from the batch of different dealers and "expedited" paperworks and release of the unit. Another reminder that I'm in the Philippines.:(

jasonub
10-20-2004, 21:01
so far i never had a problem with buying not seen guns, my beretta 92fs was in perfect condition when i got it. So was my usp 9mm, usp 45, anschutz bolt rifle, anschutz semi auto rifle, ruger 22/45, armscor 45 (though after shooting 200 rounds it went to the smith for a major overhauling for comp use) then i went to custom pistols so i dont think any ding will be present after leaving the gun smith.

I hope they will maintain this awareness in the future. The companies i dealt with was, pb dionisio, twin pines, and true weight, and closed uzi alarms. Dont know about the others though

9MX
10-20-2004, 22:06
Originally posted by Alexii
Nothing in particular yet, 9MX. But this became apparent to me only now, would you believe? I'm also aware that there are people who bought guns directly from the Crame warehouse-- got to choose from the batch of different dealers and "expedited" paperworks and release of the unit. Another reminder that I'm in the Philippines.:(

this realization came to me belatedly, didn't pay much attention to my G17 when i got it. But it was ok though:)

antediluvianist
10-22-2004, 01:40
Actually, I was happier with the used gun that I bought from a BOG than the new gun I bought from a store. In the future, I will be on the lookout for used guns from BOGS. And for a used gun,what-you-see-is-what-you-get : you really do see it and inspect it before you buy it. Not like a new gun from a gunstore, which is sight-unseen unless you buy a demo.

gunfool
10-22-2004, 03:09
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Actually, I was happier with the used gun that I bought from a BOG than the new gun I bought from a store. In the future, I will be on the lookout for used guns from BOGS. And for a used gun,what-you-see-is-what-you-get : you really do see it and inspect it before you buy it. Not like a new gun from a gunstore, which is sight-unseen unless you buy a demo. A brand new maybe okay as well as long you buy it from a fellow Bogs like Deenoh which I believe you can ask him a favor to inspect the unit for you. Right Deenoh? Cheers man....

mc_oliver
10-22-2004, 03:34
The thing I really hate most is the requirement that the guns be zip tied. Kahit trigger 'di mo man lang ma-test.

Good thing, however, is that I got the chance to actually dry fire the Taurus 24/7 from one of the shops kasi mey built-in lock (so no need for the zip tie). It felt weird.