NEW to country [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NEW to country

JFP
10-20-2004, 15:28
Hi to all, thank you for making this such a great forum and taking time out to read my post.

Will be moving soon to Manila, and wanted to know where are the best shops to purchase NIB

Glock.
HK USP.
Colt 1911 (not sure if these are available),

Thx again for taking time out to read my post, and looking forward to returning (have visited in the past for short 2 day business trips) to your beautiful country.

horge
10-20-2004, 16:25
Hi and welcome!

Based on reputation try

Weapon Systems Corp. They have a sales office up in City & Land, across the street from the Robinson's Galleria Mall. I don't think there are units on display there though. Their real store is in Barangay Moonwalk, Paranaque. They carry Glock and Colt's. Dunno about the USP. Others here nay have a lead on where to find that.

Lots of shops offer various Colt's 1911's, from the large store with a pretty wide selection P.B. Dionisio has along Roces Avenue in Quezon City, to the various Hahn outlets in the SM Malls.

The Makati Cinema Square mall is aging, but is home to a bunch of gun shops, cheek to jowl: Casa Armas, Final Option, Twin Pines, Wirox, Jethro et etera, as well as an indoor range (NorthStar).

I have to warn you though: in this country, you generally buy firearms sight-unseen, and then have to wait a month or more to get your permits approved, and your firearm. You usually put down about 5 thousand to get the permit apps running, then the bulk of your payment on receipt of the firearm and permits.

deenoh
10-20-2004, 18:57
Nashe has USPs

riddler
10-20-2004, 20:10
I still do not know the particulars but you may want to do a little research on whether you can legally purchase and license a handgun in the Phils.

On my last visit, the lady at the gunstore in Cebu told me that I have to be a citizen to be able to buy a handgun. Not only that, even if I can, the "processing" would take longer than my stay.

horge
10-20-2004, 20:33
doH!

Good point, riddler.
I assumed JFP was a Filipino citizen, although there ARE ways to own handguns here (through a trusted proxy, for one). He DID say he was moving here, and not merely vacationing, so I didn't think processing time was more than an invconvenience.

:)

9MX
10-20-2004, 22:11
Originally posted by deenoh
Nashe has USPs

hwag na dun, "world class" ang service doon eh:soap: ;f

horge
10-21-2004, 01:00
Now, now...
No need to be NASHEty about them.
;)

JFP
10-21-2004, 12:20
Thx for the kind and prompt replies. I will be living in Manila for the next few years, so processing time is a non issue, but I will look into (when I get there) the laws for non citizen purchase.

vega
10-21-2004, 15:26
JFP- There's just one law for non-citizen...You are not allowed to buy/own firearms in the Philippines. You can bring your own but for a number of days only.

Unless they changed the law when I was last there.

Like horge said, get a trusted proxy. But that should be 2-ways. Your proxy must trust you too. If anything happens to the firearm, like you accidentally shoot someone, the proxy is criminally and civilly liable too.

vega

riddler
10-21-2004, 16:40
BTW, guys do you know if the dual citizenship bill became a law?

I am thinking of getting mine back for this purpose. What do I have to do?

Salamat

horge
10-21-2004, 17:11
Republic Act 9225, the 'dual citizenhip law', is in effect, signed na by the President.

IIRC it only applies to 'natural born Filipinos' (born of one or two Filipino citizens), who have since become citizens of another State and wish to reacquire Filipino citizenship. Children of the subject they get in on the subject's application if the kids are still under 18, otherwise they have to go the good old naturalization route.

On successully availing of Pinoy dual citizenhip, the subject can now get and carry a Philippine passport, vote in the Philippines, run for public office in the Philippines, buy land without hindrance in the Philippines, buy firearms in the Philippines, et cetera. Subject can also begin paying taxes in the Philippines, hehe...

DFA and BoI are the implementing agencies, so consulates abroad would be the place to go ---subject needs bring birth documents, and I think the processing fee is US$50 or US$100---I forget which. Of course, someone will administer/observe an Oath of Allegiance, and so on.

hth...

riddler
10-21-2004, 19:38
Originally posted by horge
On successully availing of Pinoy dual citizenhip, the subject can now get and carry a Philippine passport, vote in the Philippines, run for public office in the Philippines, buy land without hindrance in the Philippines, buy firearms in the Philippines, et cetera. Subject can also begin paying taxes in the Philippines, hehe...

Thanks horge!

On the fun side of stuff,

- I think I can still obtain a passport because I do not think the BFA and the BOI know who is what. Don't you just need a birth certificate and a "cedula" to get a passport?

- As of last election, my cousin told me that my name is still in the registered list of voters.

- running for public office? buying land and firearms? see above...;f ;f

Of all the requirements, I think the hardest to get are original income tax returns for previous years......

vega
10-21-2004, 22:59
Originally posted by riddler
Of all the requirements, I think the hardest to get are original income tax returns for previous years......
I don't see why they won't take you US ITR since you're living and working in US. The reason they want an ITR is to show that you are working and won't use the firearm in crime. Kind of stupid law. Even if your income is only P10,000 for the whole year they will still take it since it does not state the bracket.

vega

riddler
10-22-2004, 00:08
Originally posted by vega
The reason they want an ITR is to show that you are working and won't use the firearm in crime. Kind of stupid law. Even if your income is only P10,000 for the whole year they will still take it since it does not state the bracket.

vega

;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

That is truly a good one!

antediluvianist
10-22-2004, 01:33
"Of all the requirements, I think the hardest to get are original income tax returns for previous years...... [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, my friend, you would be surprised what our resourceful accountants can create/manufacture/produce/come up with/etc.. An "original" ITR with the BIR stamps? Mmmmmm, what's the problem? I once used- for a gun purchase- an ITR that was 3 years out of date - just told the gunstore to use whatever they had in my file already to save time. Obviously the PNP guys didn't even bother to look at the date on the ITR. Got the gun, no problem.

julianz
10-22-2004, 02:46
Originally posted by riddler
[Of all the requirements, I think the hardest to get are original income tax returns for previous years...... [/B]

if there's a will there's a way..

Overseas workers are excempted from tax and filing ITR ..just give it a thought.

riddler
10-22-2004, 11:02
Originally posted by julianz
Overseas workers are excempted from tax and filing ITR ..just give it a thought.

oh boy oh boy.... didn't know that. IIRC, when I renewed my Phil. passport many many moons ago, I think one of the requirements was my previous year's US tax return so they could compute how much I owe the government.

As to whether I did or did not pay it, I honestly forgot. I must have because I was able to renew my passport then....but don't really know for sure...

vega
10-22-2004, 12:18
I renewed my Phil passport here in the consulate last year but I was not charge any income tax. They didn't ask for my ITR but they charged me $60.

vega

riddler
10-22-2004, 15:11
Originally posted by vega
I renewed my Phil passport here in the consulate last year but I was not charge any income tax. They didn't ask for my ITR but they charged me $60.

vega

huh! ;P ;P I guesss, napunta yung binayad ko sa mabubuting kamay. :( :(

bass one
10-22-2004, 18:50
No taxes for us OFWs. Renewal here for a 32 page passport costs sgd$150 = us$88. I don't remember submitting an ITR when I purchased my gun.

julianz
10-23-2004, 00:06
Originally posted by bass one
No taxes for us OFWs. Renewal here for a 32 page passport costs sgd$150 = us$88. I don't remember submitting an ITR when I purchased my gun.

i did'nt submit aswell copy lang ng job certificate.

bass one
10-25-2004, 01:05
copy lang ng job certificate. Not even that.

riddler
10-25-2004, 10:26
bass and julianz,

did you guys just renew your passports? did you do it personally through the consulate or did you do it through mail?

now that I have been pondering about it, the last time I renewed my passport was way back in 1993 and I did it through the mail. I called to request an application form from the consulate in Kalifornia (I think!) and they sent it to me with the list of requirements.

bass one
10-25-2004, 19:39
Riddler: walk-in. the embassy here is just a 10 minute walk from my office. got it the next day.

julianz
10-26-2004, 03:04
i renewed it my self here (consulate)30 mins. max. . no pila no hazzle .Back in PI its another story.