Accident photo - OUCH! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Accident photo - OUCH!

Texas T
10-20-2004, 18:14
Notice that in addition to not wearing any real protective gear, his footwear has been knocked off in the crash.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/trafcam-crash-lg.jpg

This is from a European safety study...
The object motorcyclists most often collided with were passenger cars. In half of the collision accidents, the driver of the other vehicle was judged to have made the primary error that caused the crash, and he failed to "perceive" the motorcyclist in 70 percent of the two--vehicle collisions. In 37 percent of the the accidents with a partner, it was the motorcyclist who created the problem. As other research has concluded, drivers with motorcycling experience are more likely to see and avoid motorcyclists.

In 70 percent of the crashes, the rider hit the car or other object at under 30 mph. Of course, the severity of injuries went up with crash speed.

Since this was Europe, 90 percent of the crashers were wearing helmets, and they did a good job—when they stayed on. However, 9 percent of the helmeted riders lost their helmets during the crash, either because they didn't fit properly, weren't fastened properly, or were damaged during the crash. Other protective gear also did a good job of attenuating the most common injuries—to arms and legs, though such gear didn't prevent all injuries.

Crashing motorcyclists were more likely to have been drinking than the drivers they collided with.

Over half the accidents happened in intersections.

Riders with no licenses or improper licenses crashed more than riders who were properly licensed for what they were riding.

Riders who took some sort of rider training were more likely to try some sort of avoidance maneuver, such as braking or swerving. Untrained riders were more likely to sit there and crash without doing anything to prevent it. Riding experience also worked in the rider's favor, both total and on the bike being ridden. Inexperienced riders are also more likely to do something that causes the accident. As other studies have found, you are in more danger on a bike that is new to you (bad news for motorcycle testers).

The full 173-page report can be downloaded as a PDF file from the site of the ACEM, (Association des Constructeurs Europeens de Motocycles, a European motorcycle industry organization). You must go through a free registration and confirmation process for access to it.

RBR
10-20-2004, 22:23
From the photo it looks like the car is at fault since they have a red light. If the bike was coming from the left then it looks like he was riding to the far right side of his lane (maybe his lane position wasn't the best).

And judging from the cloud of rust knocked off the beater car their insurance may be lacking.

I think that car drivers saying they "didn't see the bike" really means their just bad unattentive drivers ,assume their higher mass means they have the right of way or just don't care. You can wear all the Hi-Viz colors and have the brightest lights on your bike and it will still happen.

norton
10-21-2004, 16:44
As a long time rider, I had a crash 2 summers ago. My helmet stayed on, and probably saved my life, cause I hit the pavement hard enough to knock me out for some unknown amount of time.

norton
10-21-2004, 16:45
and I forgot to add, the driver that pulled out in front of us said she didn't see us.

Alan
10-22-2004, 12:10
Glad you're okay! I had a near-fatal accident 3 years ago. It's a long story, but from what the doctor's have said...I'm actually VERY VERY lucky to be alive today.

I actually took the time to write down what happened to me so I could have a record of it all. It was hard to deal with and writing it down sort of helped me work through some of the issues I was facing at the time. I could post it here if anyone is interested...but it's about 3 typed pages long.

Originally posted by norton
As a long time rider, I had a crash 2 summers ago. My helmet stayed on, and probably saved my life, cause I hit the pavement hard enough to knock me out for some unknown amount of time.

Texas T
10-22-2004, 21:33
I'd be interested. I think any time we can learn from another's experiences we all benefit.

fiberpig
10-22-2004, 21:49
...picked me up off the road with a blood pressure of 60/0 and then the lifeflight, told the wife not to hurry to the hospital cause they didn't need 2 fatalities, told I'd never walk again, yep...been there...yep, still here.

Alan
10-25-2004, 07:53
It's about 3 typed pages long. Want me to email it to you? PM?

Originally posted by Texas T
I'd be interested. I think any time we can learn from another's experiences we all benefit.

Texas T
10-26-2004, 09:00
I had Alan send me his accident story. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Bottom line... regardless of how you feel afterwards, get some medical attention and let THEM tell you that you're okay.

Alan
10-27-2004, 09:40
That's excellent advice. Being stubborn about getting medical attention and thinking "Oh...I'll be okay" nearly cost me my life.

Originally posted by Texas T
Bottom line... regardless of how you feel afterwards, get some medical attention and let THEM tell you that you're okay.

norton
10-28-2004, 14:36
My accident
Riding my bike, with another rider ahead of me. Rural area, 4 lane highway, very light traffic, about 10 a.m. partly sunny, dry roads. We were north bound. Grassy median seperates the north and soutbound lanes.
Saw a car crossing the south bound lanes and proceeding to the intersection. She had a yield sign. I sensed danger immediately, rolled off the throttle-going about 55 to 60 mph. It appeared she was not slowing down in the median. As she started into our lanes my first thought was, I gotta slow down now. Hard on the brakes as she crossed my lane. My riding partner apparently did not see her until the last minute. It looked like he was speeding up, trying to beat her through the intersection. It was not clear if she was going to cross in front of us or turn and go the same direction we were. I saw him hit the front fender of her car, and launch over the handlebars of his bike. At that same instant I realized I was going down. I remember hitting the pavement. I did not hit her vehicle.
Next thing I knew I was standing up in the middle of the road. Don't know how long I was on the ground, don't know how I got out from under my bike. I was holding my arm (broken collarbone). I stumbled around in the road, thinking I needed to get the side of the road before I pass out. I saw grass and laid down. Next thing I knew an EMT was looking in my helmet asking me where I hurt.
My riding partner on the other bike was life lined. He died a few hours later.
I got off easy. Road rash and the broken collarbone, off work for 2 months. I was able to attend the funeral of my riding partner, who was my father in law.

Texas T
10-28-2004, 17:50
Norton... sad story. Sorry for your loss.

My one trip down is nowhere as severe as your's or Alan's. I was riding my KZ650 through the Saguaro National Monument on the east side of Tucson at the base of the Rincons. It's about a nine mile, one-way road once you leave the visitor's center. It is up, down, left, right, up-left, down-right, and every other combination that makes life fun on a sport bike. ;)

I was a couple of miles in and was cresting a small rise that immediately went into a left-down corner. I carried too much speed at the top, braked too hard too late, and had the front wheel on some loose sand all at the same time.

I high-sided it and the bike and I went off the road to the right. I had rash on my right palm and my right fore-arm, a small cut on my right forearm that stopped bleeding fairly quickly, a lot of rash on the top of my right thigh where my jeans had been torn open, and my right ankle was sprained. I got the bike upright, and other than a lot of scratches to the full fairing it was in pretty good shape.

I was below the line of sight of the cars going by, so if I had been knocked out or killed they probably wouldn't have known for quite a while. ;P

The bike started, I mounted up and got the bike back on the road. I had to ride the remainder of the circuit and the rest of the way home (23 miles) with my right foot hanging down as I couldn't use it to brake because of the pain.

I pulled into the carport, gritted my teeth, covered the torn pants with my helmet and walked in past my mom. I took a long hot shower and picked the sand out of the various pores of my skin, and then drove my El Camino over to my GF's house. The pain in my ankle got to be too much so she took me to the hospital where the doc x-rayed, poked and prodded and taped me up.

When he started asking about the accident itself he explained carefully that if the accident had happened on a public road he would have to report it to the cops and someone would have to come and take a report. But, if the accident had happened "off-road", no reports would need to be made. After some give-and-take we agreed that I was in control of the bike while I was on the road and only crashed after I had gone "off-roading". ;f

He was a cool doc. :)

norton
10-29-2004, 07:19
Great ending Texas.
The year after my accident, I rode my repaired bike a few times but realized my heart wasn't in it anymore. I sold my primary bike this spring. This was the first summer in many years that I did not swing a leg over a m/c.
Riding has provided alot of joy in my life. Riding with friends on overnight trips, camping under the stars, swapping lies at rest stops.
Riding, looking at, talking about bikes.
Maybe again some time in the future.
Ride Safe