Insurance? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Insurance?

Texas T
10-20-2004, 23:21
I've got state farm for all my cars. Any need to go elsewhere for motorcycle coverage? I see ads for Progressive and others in the motorcycle rags all the time. Any benefit to using one of them instead?

T

RBR
10-20-2004, 23:53
You might try Dairyland, they were a bit cheaper than USAA for me.

Researcher
10-21-2004, 08:19
Any major reason why you need to switch from State Farm? I actually switched all my insurance over to state farm because they offered the best price for motorcycle insurance.

MikeG22
10-21-2004, 17:20
lots of riders use state farm so it's probably not too bad. I have my cars, house, and bike with AAA and I think i've gotten a pretty great deal. Can't hurt to call around and see what it would be for you.

Alan
10-22-2004, 12:15
Texas T,

State Farm sometimes offers multi-policy discounts, but I found the best deals through Geico and Progressive. I had several different types of sportbikes over the years I was riding, and each company offered a different quote based on make/model. I would switch providers depending on what I was riding at the time.

Originally posted by Texas T
I've got state farm for all my cars. Any need to go elsewhere for motorcycle coverage? I see ads for Progressive and others in the motorcycle rags all the time. Any benefit to using one of them instead?

T

BikerRN
10-27-2004, 15:07
Check out Markel Insurance. I have my 2003 Harley with them and they beat Progressive by a bunch!

Good luck.

xrated
10-27-2004, 20:31
It has been my experience that most of the time, no other insurance company beats State Farm. You cannot insure a motorcycle, stand alone, but usually they are very competitive with their auto insurance too. Price quotes for my sportbike was $800 plus with Geico, and Progressive, whereas State Farm was in the low $400's. I had my truck and house there, so it was a no brainer for me. BTW, I'm 49 years old and have a spotless driving record, no tickets (I'm not sure how I've been able to accomplish that), and no chargable accidents. Hope this helps.

TxMan
10-31-2004, 18:37
I have Progressive. I shopped around, USAA (I have for my truck) was way too high (over a grand a year), got a quote from Dairyland and State Farm both way too much. Progressive for me is 1/4 the price of the rest of the insurance companies per year. I couldn't beat that.

Texas T
10-31-2004, 20:44
Originally posted by Alan
but I found the best deals through Geico and Progressive. On another board that I've been reading, several of the guys really took Geico to task for their position on radar detectors, participation in rallys such as the Iron Butt, and other issues. I haven't checked on the legitimacy of the claims, but more than one chimed in on the subject.

As a military brat, Geico was the first insurance company I had, but I changed to State Farm around 1974 or so and have been with them ever since. I've had four claims with them during that period but they've never jacked up my rates. I guess I'll stick with them for my cycle coverage too.

Anvil
11-14-2004, 12:25
I just got a quote from Gieco for around $530 or so for 12 months

100,000 personal injury
300,000 collision

no uninsured motorist

$133 to get it started
9 monthly payments after that.

My family has 2 other policies with them for our automobiles.

Glock22C
11-17-2004, 11:29
Progressive sucks!

I've been with them for 4 years and every year they raise my rates despite clean record.

Just got a quote from them for my 2003 Ninja ZX-9R.

9 months $2600 a year from Progressive
12 months $400 from State Farm

I had to switch my car over to them (an extra $400 a year) but over all I still save tons!

Texas T
11-17-2004, 23:22
I don't know how old you are but they base their rates upon similar age groups riding the same bikes. If your peer group is causing Progressive to pay out a lot in accidents they are going to catch you in the same raise-the-rates net.

RKC2000
11-21-2004, 12:15
Here's another vote for Dairyland.

Army of Juan
11-22-2004, 18:33
State Farm insures by cc's. So a cbr 600 would cost less to insure than a shadow 1100. If you ride sportbikes it doesn't get any better than State Farm, if you ride cruisers there many companies that will beat them in terms of price.

md2lgyk
11-26-2004, 16:30
I've been with State Farm for 24 years. Just to see if I could do better, I recently got quotes for the car, truck and bike. The best anybody else would do was 150% higher on the car and truck, and 250% higher on the bike. That's for full coverage $100K/$300K. State law here requires Uninsured Motorist coverage, as well as Underinsured Motorist, which is way expensive. The bike (Suzuki Marauder 800) is $275 a year, the wife's Ford Focus is $500 a year, and my Nissan pickup is $600 a year.