44mag ruger, s&w... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 44mag ruger, s&w...


cebuboy
10-21-2004, 06:04
hi guys:) any bog here who loves hand canons?

hi DocT; was it you with a super blackhawk?

anyways, want to know what revolver you have experienced/shot in .44mag;N primary purpose is for plinking or just for the kick of it;f any idea on prices? i think only twin pines is selling them here in cebu as no other shops here have them .44's, they kinda told me that i must be crazy;5 i'm beginning to like the super blackhawk with the 7" bbl(may display sa twin pines) but for 45k, dont you think its kinda expensive for a single action? shot my friends(also a doctor) 629 and i liked it, i liked it a lot:) hehe mahal lang at 75k.

FAlvar
10-21-2004, 07:07
My one and only big boomer is also my first Smith.

629-4 with 6"bbl.

With big magnums, the shape and composition of the grip has a lot to do with your shooting experience. I find that with SA revos like the Ruger SBH, the trigger guard bangs my knuckles during recoil. So I avoid them (the SAs). I also prefer cushy rubber grips for boomers vice wood.

As for the utility of my 44, well, it's equally accurate with 44 mags or Spl. So I have the option of having two power levels to choose from given an application.

cebuboy
10-21-2004, 07:32
thanks for the info FAlvar, the only thing thats stopping me from getting the smith is the price;1

jundeleon
10-21-2004, 07:40
The Smith and Wesson Model 629 Classic with six-inch full-lug barrel, red ramp front sight, rear adjustable target sight and hogue rubber grips, is available at twin pines for 62k. When I inquired last week, they said the price is still negotiable. Processing is about 3k. I do not know how much discount twin pines usually gives away from to sticker price. The sales personnel said they still have about six units of that model. The 629 is a classic gun that i think is a must have for any gun enthusiast. Loaded with frangible ammo to prevent overpenetration and cut recoil, the 44 mag could make a formidable home defense cannon.

cebuboy
10-21-2004, 08:36
thanks for the info jun, will drop by twin pines and try to ask if they can sell it for less than 60k:) this all started when my friend let me shoot his 629, and now the result is i want one for myself:) not primarily for home defense(have a 12ga for that) but just got to have one...;f its kind of addicting, booom!^4 "go ahead punk, make my day" ala harry callahan;f btw, i'm used to be a pistol guy, after i got my k38, i fell in love with them wheelguns;3

doctabako
10-21-2004, 09:40
Originally posted by cebuboy
hi guys:) any bog here who loves hand canons?

hi DocT; was it you with a super blackhawk?

anyways, want to know what revolver you have experienced/shot in .44mag;N primary purpose is for plinking or just for the kick of it;f any idea on prices? i think only twin pines is selling them here in cebu as no other shops here have them .44's, they kinda told me that i must be crazy;5 i'm beginning to like the super blackhawk with the 7" bbl(may display sa twin pines) but for 45k, dont you think its kinda expensive for a single action? shot my friends(also a doctor) 629 and i liked it, i liked it a lot:) hehe mahal lang at 75k.

Yup, that's me. Didn't you ask about this before ;f You've got big bore fever and that has no cure :)Go for it, get the Super Blackhawk or if you like double action revos, get the Super Redhawk. I don't think 45K is too expensive for the build quality and durability of the gun. The 629 is now 75K? Last time I asked at twin pines it was only 57K.

Here's a link (http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259303&perpage=25&pagenumber=2) to your previous thread on the .357 and our experiences with the .44's :)

cebuboy
10-22-2004, 03:48
Originally posted by doctabako
Yup, that's me. Didn't you ask about this before ;f You've got big bore fever and that has no cure :)Go for it, get the Super Blackhawk or if you like double action revos, get the Super Redhawk. I don't think 45K is too expensive for the build quality and durability of the gun. The 629 is now 75K? Last time I asked at twin pines it was only 57K.


yup, i asked you before about it, now that i tried both:) 686 6" and 629 4" i kinda like the boom of the 44mag;f btw, i still dont know as what gun to get, the super blackhawk or the 629. if the 629 can be had for less than 60k i think i'll get it:) what do you think? havent shot the ruger though... my only experience with a sa revo is with my colt new frontier buntline .22mag, its kind of awkward loading it and poppping of the cases one by one:) also i'm kind of worried about that square trigger guard hitting my knuckles;P as FAlvar said

doctabako
10-22-2004, 04:09
The S&W 629 especially in 4 inch barrel trim will serve your purposes well since you can also use it for concealed carry with an outside waistband holster covered with a jacket. The double action mechanism and swing out cylinder is also faster to use. You can't do this with the Single Action Super Blackhawk which is a special purpose gun.
Get the Super Blackhawk if you intend to maximize the accuracy potential and power of the caliber, as in precision shooting with or without a scope and/or hunting or just playing cowboy like I sometimes want to do ;f. I also intend to buy a 4 inch barrelled 629 in the future but I'm presently saving up for an open gun. Whatever you decide you won't go wrong with either of them. To further tempt you and wet your appetite for this big bore wonder, here's a picture of my baby cannon which I posted in another thread ;f
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/doctabako/DocsRSB.jpg

cebuboy
10-22-2004, 04:30
Originally posted by doctabako
The S&W 629 especially in 4 inch barrel trim will serve your purposes well since you can also use it for concealed carry with an outside waistband holster covered with a jacket.

Get the Super Blackhawk if you intend to maximize the accuracy potential and power of the caliber, as in precision shooting with or without a scope and/or hunting or just playing cowboy like I sometimes want to do ;f

629 for concealed carry??;f you must be kidding right? hehe anyway i'm 5'9" and have a 32" waist, last time i tried holstering the gun, it looks like that my pants are about to fall off;f you just got to love the trigger feel of the smith:) and if twin pines will give it for less than 40k i might go for it:) for power, the sbh is strong, accuracywise, is it more accurate than a 6" 629? what about the redhawk? hehe for single actions, i think the bisley vaquero with case colored finish looks good.

doctabako
10-22-2004, 04:50
Originally posted by cebuboy
629 for concealed carry??;f you must be kidding right? hehe anyway i'm 5'9" and have a 32" waist, last time i tried holstering the gun, it looks like that my pants are about to fall off;f you just got to love the trigger feel of the smith:) and if twin pines will give it for less than 40k i might go for it:) for power, the sbh is strong, accuracywise, is it more accurate than a 6" 629? what about the redhawk? hehe for single actions, i think the bisley vaquero with case colored finish looks good.

Yes, with an outside pancake holster covered with a jacket or loose polo shirt. I think you're big enough to hide it. The single actions are said to be more accurate because of the more stable platform(less moving parts like the absence of the crane)although I doubt if its a big difference. There are full power heavy grain head 44 mag loads that you can't use on a 629 and these loads(like the garret for example) are flatter shooting, hence more accurate at long distances. I don't think they'll give you a 629 for less than 40K at Twin Pines though. The Vaquero has a fixed sight and that limits your load options. I don't have problems with the square trigger guard hitting my knuckles on recoil. Falvar probably has that problem because he's big and has large hands.:)

cebuboy
10-22-2004, 08:01
Originally posted by doctabako
I don't think they'll give you a 629 for less than 40K at Twin Pines though.

oops, i meant the super black hawk. selling price is 45k. if may 5k na discount, i think pwede na. but if the 629 is less than 60k, problema na;f cant decide on which one. hehehe when playing with my sa colt... i feel like wyatt earp:) my gun is just a scaled down replica though.