Are you like Mr. Magoo too? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are you like Mr. Magoo too?

antediluvianist
10-21-2004, 08:15
Calling any BOGS who have pretty lousy vision,like me. I am having difficulty seeing the top of the front site on my SW 686+. Therefore some of my shots are high, some low, as I can't sharply align it with the top of the backsight.

The front sight has some orange thing on top. Probably supposed to be very visible, but for me it isn't.

Anybody know where these S&W front-site inserts are available locally? If none, I'll probably just paint that orange thing with flourescent paint (what's the best locally-available flourescent paint?) Thanks. Its a great gun, that orange thing just isn't very visible - not in gunrange light, anyway.

cebuboy
10-21-2004, 08:39
hi ante, pardon me asking, what's a .45 luger?

antediluvianist
10-21-2004, 08:54
It's a Luger chambered in .45acp. Only a very few were ever made, and each one is worth hundreds of thousands, or possibly millions, of dollars.

I'm kidding: I don't have one. I've just seen pictures of them. Nor do I have a Korth revolver( $5,000 or so each - a relatively small number hand-crafted each year in Germany .)

I do have the Masungit Dachshund,Wham-o Slingshot,and S&W 686Plus .

mc_oliver
10-21-2004, 19:42
Time to switch to the dot. ;)

Allegra
10-21-2004, 20:50
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Calling any BOGS who have pretty lousy vision,like me. I am having difficulty seeing the top of the front site on my SW 686+. Therefore some of my shots are high, some low, as I can't sharply align it with the top of the backsight.

The front sight has some orange thing on top. Probably supposed to be very visible, but for me it isn't.

Anybody know where these S&W front-site inserts are available locally? If none, I'll probably just paint that orange thing with flourescent paint (what's the best locally-available flourescent paint?) Thanks. Its a great gun, that orange thing just isn't very visible - not in gunrange light, anyway.

Whats the distance of your targets and what size?
Are you sure its not your trigger control that needs improving?

antediluvianist
10-21-2004, 23:27
The problem is that the top of the front sight is not readily visible. I'm not saying that my trigger control is great, but the non-visibility of the top of the front sight is a separate problem.

I intend to buy some flourescent paint this weekend and try that. Whatever is the brightest stuff available at ACE Hardware. I know that at least one other BOG said he uses flourescent paint on his sights.

flyboy 1
10-21-2004, 23:37
I know that at least one other BOG said he uses flourescent paint on his sights.
Sir Ante, kilala ko ata yan ah. Naka "seesay" ata. Si boss 9mx yan!

Have you ever considered fiber-optic replacement front sights? I've been looking them up the past few weeks on the net, and they seem to quite promising. There's HiViz, Truglo and several others. If not, painting your sights with flourescent paint might be the easiest, simplest and cheapest way to go.

Just my 2 centavos. :)

jundeleon
10-22-2004, 00:51
How about the Docter Optics mini red dot sight?
Its small and unobtrusive, yet durable even for magnums.
I think it can be easily mounted on the 686's top strap which is already drilled and tapped.
I saw one during the gun show (one of the small booths) but I cant seem to remember which particular shop.

antediluvianist
10-22-2004, 00:58
Thanks. I will look out for that at the next (November) Gunshow. It's small? Good.

julianz
10-22-2004, 02:51
Thanks. I will look out for that at the next (November) Gunshow. It's small? Good.
how about laser sight? you dont have to worry about aligning the front or the rear sights. just point the laser then boom..dont know in day time thou.

jundeleon
10-22-2004, 03:35
link:

http://www.docteropticsusa.com/ds-handgun.php

Allegra
10-22-2004, 04:36
Originally posted by jundeleon
link:

http://www.docteropticsusa.com/ds-handgun.php

2 of my friends said sakit ng ulo daw ang dr

9MX
10-22-2004, 09:32

ante,

for your revolver, i'm not sure how long is its barrel, but you might wanna consider acquiring a scope similar to fpj's character in Muslim Magnum .357...then have sideburns na din;f