Metal heads -- check in here [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Metal heads -- check in here

AJE
10-22-2004, 01:19
I am a very big fan of Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, Slayer, APC, Shadows Fall, Black Label Society, Drowning Pool, Shadows Fall, Shinedown (ok, not metal), and.... Shadows Fall.

Who's the other headbangers?

;I ~2 ~2 ~2 ~2 ~2 ^d

JaviFL
10-22-2004, 07:14
Big Iron Maiden fan here. Slayer keeps getting better with age.

chevrofreak
10-22-2004, 08:20
Your avatar frightens me http://files.chevrofreak.com/smilies/yahoo/2.gif

I'm not much of a metal fan, but there is some stuff I do like. Can I name it? Nope.

Biker13
10-22-2004, 08:55
I like most music, excluding mainstream country and rap. I'm a big fan of Manowar. I like older Iron Maiden and Savatage.
Biker13;c

Black Metal
10-22-2004, 09:05
Slayer Rules!!! period.

Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Immolation, and Krisiun are the fastest, most brutal bands carrying the flag of aggressive extreme metal today.

AJE
10-22-2004, 10:14
Originally posted by chevrofreak
Your avatar frightens me http://files.chevrofreak.com/smilies/yahoo/2.gif

I'm not much of a metal fan, but there is some stuff I do like. Can I name it? Nope.

Randy Rhoads or the brillo pads?

AJE
10-22-2004, 10:16
Originally posted by Black Metal
Slayer Rules!!! period.

Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Immolation, and Krisiun are the fastest, most brutal bands carrying the flag of aggressive extreme metal today.

I really don't care for too much of that stuff... the screaming and growling is okay for a little bit but I like it when they sing too. I'm not too familier with the bands you posted, but I don't think that they sing too much.

My two favorite METAL bands are Killswitch and Shadows Fall for those very reasons.

JaviFL
10-22-2004, 10:57

Not into the aggro stuff anymore. I can still tolerate Kreator, Coroner, and Sodom.

Berto
10-22-2004, 12:04
Not into the whining teenager metal.

but......Vader
Immortal
Kataklysm
Opeth
Marduk
Bathory
Satyricon
Carpathian Forest
Mayhem (not the silly Tommy Lee BS)
Amod Amarth
Enslaved
Darkthrone
Nile....

stuff like that makes me happy.:)

.22 boy
10-22-2004, 12:09
Drowing pool, disturbed, demon hunter, c.o.f, killswich engage

.22 boy

Black Metal
10-22-2004, 13:00
Point well taken:) But as far as musicianship goes.. death metal artists can play circles around most neo-metal bands. I know the cookie monster vocals can get a little played. but i cant get into bands like the Deftones and all their clones who whine for a minute and then scream and turn of the distortion ona riff and call it a chorus. Im not flaming this is just MHO. Also, Nile destroys! "In Their Darkened Shrines" is a great album.

Berto
10-22-2004, 14:10
I admit,Cookie Monster gets on probably most folks' nerves,but dammit,it fits.:cool:

What could be more motivating?;c

black diesel
10-22-2004, 18:41
I'm a huge Slayer fan, it borderlines on worship. I've seen them 6 times and always in the front row. I'm going to see them next Friday night on the Jager tour. I could go on about them but I don't want to frighten people.

I used to like Metallica but they've done nothing but disappoint me lately so I seldom listen to them, even the old stuff.

Other bands I like are Fear Factory, Slipknot, Sepultura, Pantera, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Tool, and Iced Earth. Iced Earth isn't popular but musically they are amazing. Their songs are very complex, moreso than about any other band.

I play guitar (an ESP Jeff Hanneman) and appreciate the musicainship of death metal even if the vocal style is questionable. The guitars and double bass drumming just amazes me.

AJE
10-22-2004, 22:31
Point well taken:) But as far as musicianship goes.. death metal artists can play circles around most neo-metal bands. I know the cookie monster vocals can get a little played. but i cant get into bands like the Deftones and all their clones who whine for a minute and then scream and turn of the distortion ona riff and call it a chorus. Im not flaming this is just MHO. Also, Nile destroys! "In Their Darkened Shrines" is a great album.

I don't like 75% of Ozzfest bands for that very reason... they all sound the same.

I like the bands I pointed out because from what I have heard they are the best at mixing the pretty parts and the heavy parts together, making each more pretty and heavy.

... if that makes any sense.

black diesel
10-23-2004, 14:04
That's why I refuse to go to Ozzfest, I won't stand there listening to a bunch of garbage all afternoon. I was very fortunate this year that Slayer and Slipknot played some "off fest" shows. That way I got to enjoy the only two bands I wanted to see without going to ozzfest. The guitar riff just doesn't exist in the new metal, it's a bunch of chords most of the time. Why can't bands write riffs like Master of Puppets or South of Heaven anymore? I'm not saying it has to have cool riffs to be good music but it sure helps.

testosterone
10-24-2004, 01:38
Tool and APC are my number 1 bands..Ive had Tool cd's in my cd changer in my truck since atleast '93....ive changed my cd changer with a few differnet brands but the cd's always stay in there.
Im also diggin Nonpoint and Slipknot....
I have every Slayer cd out.....

fastvfr
10-30-2004, 20:56
IRON MAIDEN!!!

TOOL!!!

W.A.S.P.!!!

SLAYER!!!

BLACK SABBATH!!!

OZZY!!!

Am I dating myself here?!;Q :cool:

Altaris
11-16-2004, 22:43

I agree, I love Nile's album. I have had that playing in my car for the past month hehe. I would love to go see them in concert sometime....if they ever stop by Houston.

I just saw Cannibal Corpse in Concert a few weeks ago. It kicked ass ~2

Iced Earth isn't popular but musically they are amazing. Their songs are very complex, moreso than about any other band.
I agree there. The new album is great, and I like how they kept the war history theme through the entire thing.

Gunlawyer
12-01-2004, 08:20
Another aging metal head here. Lately been digging Dog Fashion Disco. Rammstein makes awesome workout music. Slayer, Testament, Old Metallica, Old Megadeth, Mercyful Fate, Pantera are just a few that will always be close to my heart.

metallic
12-01-2004, 08:46
Metallica, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Fear Factory, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Mudvayne, Within Temptation (Goth Metal, basically), Lacuna Coil, Slipknot and sometimes Meshuggah. I think I sometimes like Meshuggah because it drives my roommates up the wall.

.22 boy
12-01-2004, 11:05
Originally posted by metallic
Lacuna Coil

They are NOT metal!

metallic
12-01-2004, 12:28
Originally posted by .22 boy
Lacuna Coil

They are NOT metal!

Out of curiosity, what would you call them?

.22 boy
12-02-2004, 17:02
Out of curiosity, what would you call them?

Rock/pop

Berzerker10mm
12-06-2004, 19:54
I BLEED BLACK LABEL SOCIETY!!!!~2 ~2 ~2 ~2

ateamer
12-06-2004, 23:43
Here's the playlist for the CD I burned last night:

Slayer – The Antichrist
Iron Maiden – The Trooper
Anthrax – Panic
Death Angel – Never Me
Pantera – Hollow
Sepultura – Arise
Cro Mags – Everybody’s Gonna Die
Cannibal Corpse – Severed Head Stoning
Deftones – 7 Words
Iron Maiden – 666 The Number of the Beast
Slayer – Angel of Death
Anthrax – Parasite
Death Angel – Thrown to the Wolves

bachchoy
12-07-2004, 00:14
http://membres.lycos.fr/arnaudbastien/hpbimg/rar11.jpg

http://www.akkords.ru/r/rammstein/329.jpg

http://www.ninten.com/~niteshok/images/tool-maynard.jpg

http://alexsolca.com/static-x.jpg

AJE
12-07-2004, 13:56
Heard Slipknot, have both APC albums, but I haven't seen too much into Static X.

How would you describe them?

bachchoy
12-07-2004, 20:53
Originally posted by AJE
Heard Slipknot, have both APC albums, but I haven't seen too much into Static X.

How would you describe them?

Got to web site and listen to thier music!

Very Good Riffs!

www.static-x.com/

SPL2k
12-07-2004, 21:56
Originally posted by black diesel
Iced Earth isn't popular but musically they are amazing. Their songs are very complex, moreso than about any other band.

you can say that again!! ^c

crash700
12-17-2004, 01:54
Metal rules !!!~2 ;I

c5367
12-23-2004, 05:07
Metal rocks!

Can't say I'm a big fan of Slayer, but Disturbed, Slipknot, old Metallica and Hatebreed have been getting alot of play on the ipod as of late.

On a side note, I'm not sure Tool or APC belong in the metal category. Both rock no doubt. I have everything they've put out, including Salival and Tales from the Darkside. I like APC too, but the politics of 13th Step and even more so with the latest release really turned me off.

Dieseler
12-26-2004, 15:15
Since the lines of rock and metal are more and more blurred I'm not sure where alot of these bands would fall... but here's my tastes

Metallica
Iron Maiden
Slipknot
Pantera
Mortification
Disturbed
Deftones
Tool/APC
STP
ThreeDaysGrace
Monster Magnet
Staind ( first album only!)

and there are others I cannot think of right off the top of my head

Camshaft
12-28-2004, 20:31
huge slayer fan here. divine intervention is my favorite all time album. well that or reign in blood.

im in a death metal band called spinecast. our first ever show was with nile. true story. may 5th 1998. also played with krisiun, angelcorpse, incantation, fleshgrind, cryptopsy, way more than i can remember. heres a link to our site.

http://www.myspace.com/reloc.cfm?c=2&id=C8E0685C-562D-4324-A765-C36A4FB633C2

edit: crap didnt realize you had to join to hear the mp3s. our webmaster knocked a chick up and quit doing the site so that myspace thing is all we have.

Ludacris
12-29-2004, 05:54
Black Label Society
In Flames
Metallica(pre '88 work)
Megadeth
Pantera
Iced Earth
Priest
Deep Purple
Dream Theater
Soulfly's first album
Sepultura
Ronnie James F'in Dio

Gotta love 'em.

roburado
12-30-2004, 20:53
My favorite is Dream Theater
Dig old Metallica. Master of Puppets being my favorite album.

Zulu Alpha
12-31-2004, 14:21
Gotta love anything put out by Blackie Lawless (i.e. W.A.S.P), AC/DC, Iron Maiden (Bruce Dickinson on leads IMHO was the best),White/Rob Zombie, Dio, and the list goes on. I will definately hafta check into some of the bands ya'll have listed as some of them I have never heard of. I guess I listen to what some of you would call "easy listening metal"! Gotta love Metal!!!

black diesel
12-31-2004, 21:58
A band I'm currently listening to is Children of Bodom. I watched them for the first time open for Fear Factory a couple months ago. I stood there in the front row with my mouth hanging open watching Alexi Laiho absolutely rip. I later found out he has his own ESP signature model guitars only they're not sold in the US. I bought Follow the Reaper but haven't found any of their other albums yet. Check them out!

Altaris
01-02-2005, 08:57
Children of Bodom and Iced Earth played together here several months ago. I had never heard of Children of Bodom before, but I was very impressed.

I am very happy too. I found out that Nile will be coming here in May. That is one band I really want to see.

Jlarue
01-08-2005, 00:05
Originally posted by Berto
Not into the whining teenager metal.

but......Vader
Immortal
Kataklysm
Opeth
Marduk
Bathory
Satyricon
Carpathian Forest
Mayhem (not the silly Tommy Lee BS)
Amod Amarth
Enslaved
Darkthrone
Nile....

stuff like that makes me happy.:)

Amen to that, also can't forget the likes of Acheron, Deicide, and Dimmu Borgir to name a few.

Berto
01-10-2005, 06:00
Originally posted by Jlarue
Amen to that, also can't forget the likes of Acheron, Deicide, and Dimmu Borgir to name a few.

Dimmu Borgir puts on a great live show,saw them a few times at the Graceland in Seattle-they are a small venue and always bring the serious metal shows to town.....Nile
Satyricon
Opeth
Lacuna Coil(cute singer..music sucked)
Zyclon
Immortal (incredible)
Berzerker(didn't like)
Cryptopsy (great musicians until bass rig quit)
Kataklysm (incredible)
...and a few others,missed Mayhem recently.:(

:cool:

Jlarue
01-10-2005, 09:11
I also listen to Immolation on a regular basis.

Actually there are way to many bands here to mention :)

Would take up an entire page all by itself

glock_19guy1983
01-11-2005, 19:09
I might get flamed here but I LOVE the new Megadeth album. It sounds great compared to Metallicas' latest travesty. James and Kirk need to realize that most of the people buying their albums grew up listening to them and still like guitar solos! At least Dave understands that.

Oh back to the subject at hand. Some of my favorite metal bands are:

Disturbed
Ozzy
Seether
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer

ChuckUles
01-29-2005, 09:11
Maiden, Metallica, Sabbath, Megadeath, Anthrax,

there's nothing like Rusty Metal....~2

Mossjaw
12-16-2008, 21:16
Brutal Death Metal Warrior here! Check out my band!

www.myspace.com/cesspoolofvermin