So what color should a firetruck be? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So what color should a firetruck be?

Ffolkes
10-22-2004, 01:20
Where I grew up they were red, all the toy trucks I had as a kid were red, however in the city where I am now they are yellow! I've seen white ones on the news in other cities, what color are they were you are? Are they colored for tradition of visibility?
__
ffolkes.

locnload
10-22-2004, 08:27
FIRE TRUCKS ARE RED, TOILETS ARE WHITE.;f

glockster96
10-22-2004, 08:36
LaFrance Green. :) (kind of a lime green)

Alpha752
10-22-2004, 11:20
IMHO Red. Squads too. Black on Red looks good too.

clubsoda22
10-22-2004, 15:42
in my local, we have yellow, red & dark green. They all look good.

emrgnc
10-22-2004, 18:37
Originally posted by glockster96
LaFrance Green. :) (kind of a lime green)

We have a neighboring dept. that has THOSE color trucks....Looks like a ;E took a ;C on them.... ;T Some one must have been ^1 when they ordered them....;f

There not that bad, but they are the butt of most of the jokes around theses parts.;f

GeeThirty
10-22-2004, 21:21
We finally phased out our last red truck about two years ago, and are now running all yellow apparatus (although our new Chief/Duty Officer's Expedition is white - go figure!). ^8 Anyway, we did it for "visibility", but I swear sometimes that the trucks could be painted "day-glo neon orange", and people still wouldn't see us! ;Q

jlw_84
10-22-2004, 21:50
Our dept has so far followed tradition of red apparatus and white medical units, we are still sporting red bunker gear even.

Glkster19
10-23-2004, 14:14
Firetrucks are red with reflective white striping and gold lettering. Ambulances are white with red striping with gray accents on the red striping/lettering.

Have 1 dept near ours that runs the lime green trucks.

kels
10-23-2004, 14:27
I like puke green or yellow.
Yellow stands out the best.
RED is the standard here though.

F4GIB
10-23-2004, 21:01
Lime Green is the most visible. And therefore my favorite.
Yellow is a compromise. I rode on yellow firetrucks for years.
Red is traditional but it looks black at night. Red trucks are invisible without lights, reflective striping, etc.
I once saw a real firetruck in black (somewhere in central Iowa).

DocH
10-23-2004, 21:02
They were all red when I was growing up,now they're yellow.
Wish they'd go back to the retro red. I did see one of our newer conventional cab engines today tho,and it sure looks better than the cab-overs. In red it would really be nice.

hotpig
10-23-2004, 21:10
Red with white refletive stripes are my favorite. My neighboring Department to the North has white with blue reflective stripes. They look pretty good to.

Slinger646
10-25-2004, 00:53
RED the yellow trucks aren't quite ripe yet ;f

obxemt
10-27-2004, 19:01
GREEN, like the 1975 Maxims I grew up with. Those engines were AWESOME!

CAcop
10-28-2004, 05:55
Fire trucks in my city are traditional red.

Someday when the budget is there again we will have traditional B&W's.

CRider
10-28-2004, 11:25
As stated above, if it ain't red, it just ain't ripe yet :) All ours are red with white stripes & gold leaf lettering.

HKMark23
10-28-2004, 18:35
My first department had the lime green and everybody hated it! Then later came all red, and then red with a white reflective accent stripe down the side which I think looked the best.

Ditchdoc
10-31-2004, 05:54
Simply RED with WHITE stripe

Bogey
10-31-2004, 07:35
In Chapel Hill NC they have some units painted "Carolina Blue". Makes me think the department might be a little "gay".

Ugliest fire trucks I have ever seen.

obxprnstar
10-31-2004, 08:28
I grew up with yellow Fire Trucks. Have worked on Red. Around here they come in all diffrent shapes and sizes.

Yellow
Red
White with Blue stripe
White with Gold Stripe
Lime Green

I like yellow. Ask most citizens what color a firetruck should be and you will get the answer red. I know in the past studies were done that showed higher response accident rates as civilians were looking for the red fire truck, not the yellow or lime green one.

obxemt
10-31-2004, 12:27
Originally posted by obxprnstar
Ask most citizens what color a firetruck should be and you will get the answer red. I know in the past studies were done that showed higher response accident rates as civilians were looking for the red fire truck, not the yellow or lime green one.

Interesting, indeed, sir. However, a recent study conducted by the Reverend Roadlaw Highway Traffic Safety Institute revealed that 8 out of 10 drivers paid no attention whatsoever to apparatus color and were instead drawn to the relative size of the apparatus, speed at which it was traveling, NFPA lighting package, Federal Q2B siren and of course dual 24-inch Grover Stuttertone airhors. The remaining 2 were issued citations for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle as well as driving while jackass, both misdemeanors.

obxprnstar
10-31-2004, 12:50
Q2B being the deciding factor. However, you failed to cite a study by the NC Leage P Star Officials that showed when the Q2B is placed on a police car that there vehicles are less likley to yield as they are mistaken for a fire truck.