Setting up DNS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Setting up DNS

lomfs24
10-22-2004, 13:42
Long story short. I got an internet connection and I want to host a website (or two).

I am using Suse 9 Enterprise for the server. I have something set up wrong in the DNS though. From another computer I can ping ns1.belgradeministorage.info and it comes back with my IP address. But I cannot ping belgradeministorage.info. Were did I go wrong?

And more importantly, where is a good website that covers setting up DNS in suse 9 Enterprise? That way I can read on my own without bothering all the nice people here.

--edited-- I can plug the IP address directly into the browser from another computer and get the webserver. Or at least the default spash page that Apache uses.

HerrGlock
10-22-2004, 16:27
I have some "allow-recursion", "allow-transfer", and also-notify sections in the global part of the named.conf but here's the big pieces. Some is redundant but this works ;f:

__________/etc/named.conf

options {
directory "/var/named";
pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
auth-nxdomain yes;
};

zone "belgradeministorage.info"{
type master;
file "db.belgradeministorage.info";
notify yes;
allow-query { any; };
};

_____________________db.belgradeministorage.info

$TTL 1M;
@ IN SOA ns.belgradeministorage.info. nsowner.belgradeministorage.info. (
2004102201 ; serial
10800 ; Retry after 3 hours
3600 ; retry after 1 hour
2D ; 2 days
604800 ) ; Minimum TTL of 1 week
;
IN MX 10 mail.belgradeministorage.info.
;
; Name servers
;
belgradeministorage.info. IN NS ns.belgradeministorage.info.
belgradeministorage.info. IN NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.
belgradeministorage.info. IN NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
;
; Addresses for the canonical names
;
localhost.belgradeministorage.info. IN A 127.0.0.1
ns.belgradeministorage.info. IN A 123.123.123.123
belgradeministorage.info. IN A 123.123.123.123
mail.belgradeministorage.info. IN A 123.123.123.123
;
; Pointers to the www site...
; For those who insist on dumb names...
*.belgradeministorage.info. IN CNAME belgradeministorage.info.

HerrGlock
10-22-2004, 16:34
Good overview on it:

http://www.aboutdebian.com/dns.htm

lomfs24
10-22-2004, 22:03
Thanks HerrGlock. That was helpful. I am having a problem with slep 9. They have it set up so that everything runs with ldap support. I have had nothing but problems with ldap. Seems to me that if you change anything you lose everything. I have had this problem and my friend also has had this problem. It is either a POS or there is some stupid setting that we are missing.

As a result I am in the middle of a fresh install of Slack 10. If Suse and Novell can't get it together then I will use another platform.

Thanks again for you help.

fastvfr
10-23-2004, 07:40
^5 Slack 10!!^5

Sinister Angel
10-23-2004, 11:30
I recommend getting the book DNS and Bind. I'm not even doing anything DNS related right now and I got it anyway just in case.

lomfs24
10-23-2004, 20:11
I finally got it all working last night. My IP changed cause I got a static from my ISP so it will take a while for everything to resolve now. But I think I got it working.

I am much happier with Slack 10. I got apache working, I got mysl working, I got a firewall working, Now all I am fighting with is the cheap crap that my ISP gave me to work with.