Counter-Strike: Source [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Counter-Strike: Source

Glock9mmFan
10-22-2004, 16:24
If you pre-order Half-Life 2 through Valve's Steam, you get Counter-Strike: Source which is imo the best online FPS.

There are two teams-- terrorists and counter-terrorists. The terrorists either try to hold onto hostages or plant bombs. The CT's try to defuse the bomb or rescue the hostages.

You have a large selection of modern weapons, from the Glock, MP5, M4A1, M249, to the one-shot AI AWP-- and a lot more. Sadly, due to copyright lawsuits they had to change the names, but the weapons are still pretty obvious.

Primarily the one thing CS is famous for is its "realistic" damage. Shooting someone 1-4 times is usually enough to guarantee a kill -- even with body armor.

It's pretty realistic, much moreso than most games of it's type, but not perfectly so.

Still, it's a lot of fun. The new engine update to it is great, and it runs fast even on my year-old computer.

Matt VDW
10-23-2004, 15:34
How does "Counter-Strike: Source" differ from "Counter-Strike: Condition Zero"?

FoxMustang
10-24-2004, 13:59
Counter-Strike: Source is built on the new "Source" engine that powers Half Life 2. Basically, better graphics, better physics, better lighting, and so on. I have yet to see it, but I've heard it's simply awesome from my friends that are really into online FPSs. They say the addition of better lighting (ergo shadows) add a whole new element to the game.

fastvfr
10-24-2004, 16:57
Indeed it does.

Not quite the IQ jump we saw going from Doom II to Doom III, but pretty close!

Brasso
10-25-2004, 16:55
And if you can keep those slimy hackers off it might be fun.

DonGlock26
10-26-2004, 20:11
Originally posted by Matt VDW
How does "Counter-Strike: Source" differ from "Counter-Strike: Condition Zero"?

Real quick: you can shoot barrels and knock them over, papers blow around town, great muzzle flashes on bad guys weapons, dead bodies move when grenades go off near by, much better graphics over all. NO Rocket Launcher YET!!!:(

MrMurphy
10-29-2004, 15:49
It's "prettier" and more realistic in graphics and some basic effects (bullet holes in things, moving pallets) but it's still Counterstrike. I've been playing CT since the original Mod (when TFC was all the rage), like the week it came out. I burned out about 3 years ago. I tried Source at a LAN gaming center owner (friend of mine)'s request, but it's still just CT.

RealLiberal
10-29-2004, 20:38
It is exactly the same as Counter-Strike. Better graphics, no gameplay difference.