Roadrunner Broadband goes on and off [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Roadrunner Broadband goes on and off

ArmoredSaint
10-22-2004, 21:31
Meaning the connection goes down for a few seconds, it's happening more and more frequently, there techs checked out everything and even replaced the cable modem, but still it does that. It's a Sony Vaio with XP with all updates and lots of RAM. Could my ethernet card be dying?

Thanks.

potatoho
10-22-2004, 21:56
I find that they are very sensitive to signal quality. Mine was getting worse and worse and ultimately would go off for a while each day. When I got them to run a new cable through the yard, it hasn't had an problem since I can remember and I use it 16 hrs a day, home office.

fastvfr
10-23-2004, 07:53
I have several clients with Vaios, and it seems like their MOBO's or possibly the drivers for the chipset, might be causing this, as it will happen with Wireless broadband on Ethernet or USB, a wireless LAN, or with cable/ADSL/LAN connections.

A PC with a more solid platform (MOBO, PSU & CPU) won't have those issues on the same node...

Could be the RAM or the NIC, but some Vaios even exhibit this behavior when using a 2.4GHz 802.11b USB antenna to connect to their ISP's AP. So I think it might be a stressed PSU or cheap RAM, first and foremost, or possibly that a small amount of noise in the wall-current can cause them to hiccup and stop communicating temporarily.

However, only one out of four or five I have seen with this issue benefitted from the UPS's line-filtering effect...which brings me back to a marginal PSU, touchy MOBO or borderline RAM.

Try the Old Faithful Memtestx86, and see if that returns any errors; if not, you might try a switching hub that uses both USB and Ethernet, and connect through that.

If all that doesn't help, a call to the phone co. is in order.

Good luck,

FastVFR

Slater1601
10-23-2004, 10:15
Not enough info....is the cable modem actually going offline, or is the connection just dieing? Does it popup saying "A Network Cable Is Unplugged"?

ArmoredSaint
10-23-2004, 10:47
Originally posted by Slater1601
Not enough info....is the cable modem actually going offline, or is the connection just dieing? Does it popup saying "A Network Cable Is Unplugged"?

It doesn't go offline or any pop-up, it just stops communicating for a few seconds and then goes back on, it sucks when I am playing Counterstrike online ;f

Slater1601
10-23-2004, 10:50
Mine was doing something similar. My ping times would jump sky-high and sometimes wouldn't go through at all. The modem was power adjusting as far as it possibly could to stay online. They found that a node amp down the street had filled with water. They cut in a new one and everything was fine.

frefoo
10-24-2004, 22:44
Still dont have enough info, but I will take a stab at this.

What kind of cable modem do you have?

Does the cable modem "reset" or do you just loose link?

What are your ping times/traceroute results when the problem occurs?

I think you are saying you loose connection and then it comes back again?

CranialCrusader
10-25-2004, 17:25
If you are running ZoneAlarm disable it and see if that helps. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be ZoneAlarm.

CranialCrusader