Java Virtual Machine (jvm) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Java Virtual Machine (jvm)

BinLurking
10-23-2004, 15:34
After I installed XP SP2, the JVM on my IE disappeared. Now I can't run the texting program/site that I was using to text my friends in Asia. Does Sun Microsystem have an equivalent of Microsoft's JVM? I went to the MS site and JVM is no longer available. I have downloaded JAVA2 V.xxx but it doesn't seem to work. HELP!

mzenzer
10-23-2004, 16:11
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Not sure of the details but I think it had something to do with the justice departments case against MS. Is this where you went to download it?

David_G17
10-23-2004, 16:48
it has to do with Sun's case against MS. MS tried to steal Java and claim it as their own. MS lost, so they try to pretend Java doesn't exist.

BinLurking
10-23-2004, 19:38
Originally posted by mzenzer
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Not sure of the details but I think it had something to do with the justice departments case against MS. Is this where you went to download it? Yup, that's what I downloaded. I don't think JVM is included though. I can't run the Java based testing application.

Bronson7
10-24-2004, 08:32
Just go to the Sun site and download it. I did on mine and it works fine. Goes much smoother if you save it to a cd for a burn, then install it, plus you'll have it for reformats, etc.
Bronson7

fastvfr
10-24-2004, 12:11
Micro$oft's Virtual Machine is a sad, sickly, pale approximation of the REAL Java, anyway, so you are really coming out ahead by DLing the real thing...

I use Mozilla, and suggest to all my clients that they use it, too. I install it then activate the popup blocking, set up their e-mail accounts, and install Macromedia Flash Player and Java, then disable Java's Caching and ability to Update itself.

That gives you all of the good with none of the bad.

Just enable IE in the list of applications for Java so you can do the M$ Updates...

Best regards,

FastVFR