Are AVG and Avast! compatible? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Are AVG and Avast! compatible?

Romadoc
10-25-2004, 08:08
Can these two programs be run together? Must I choose one over the other and if so, which?

fastvfr
10-25-2004, 09:01
You should never run two antivirus apps on the same machine.

You should, however, run AVG and then go to Trend once a month or so to run this. (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

It's always nice to get a second opinion, IMO.

BTW, I install AVAST! only when people have DL'ed and installed AVG while there was a virus in residence already.

It is necessary to start an AV scanner out with a clean slate, so to speak. Less trouble all around.

Good luck,

FastVFR

General Sherman
10-25-2004, 14:46
E-Trust antivirus e-mailed me that a new version was available for download. But first I had to uninstall Avast home edition. I uninstalled Avast. I downloaded the new E-Trust and I could not get if fully installed. That left me naked.
I went back and downloaded Avast again and reset the computer to an earlier date to reacquire E-Trust.
By the way E-Trust initially missed a virus which both it and Avast are unable to delete. It is in a protected file, or something like that. Very frustrating.
:(

srhoades
10-28-2004, 02:31
Originally posted by General Sherman
E-Trust antivirus e-mailed me that a new version was available for download. But first I had to uninstall Avast home edition. I uninstalled Avast. I downloaded the new E-Trust and I could not get if fully installed. That left me naked.
I went back and downloaded Avast again and reset the computer to an earlier date to reacquire E-Trust.
By the way E-Trust initially missed a virus which both it and Avast are unable to delete. It is in a protected file, or something like that. Very frustrating.
:(

Should be able to delete it in safe mode.

NetNinja
10-28-2004, 10:58
Most people don't know how to setup thier anti virus software.

By just installing it by it's default settings is not necessarily a good thing.

Real time monitor scanning should be set to delete a virus when detected

NOT quarantine it.

Local scanning should be set the same

And when you have set your scheduler to do it's nightly scan it should be set to do the same.

Unless you write anti virus signatures all virus checkers should be set to delete the virus.

Think about it why would you want to quarantine an active virus on your machine? Unless you want to analyize it, 99% of people out there don't need to have the quaratine action set.

Updating the signature should be set to every 6 hours.

I have used E-trust anti virus on my company's desktops and servers for 6 years now. Not once has a virus come through that my servers didn't catch.

Well actually 1 did but that's another story.