left thumb cocks hammer : fast SA shooting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : left thumb cocks hammer : fast SA shooting

antediluvianist
10-25-2004, 08:45
Took my friend Vic Lim (81 years old, prominent businessperson) to Northstar to shoot my S&W 686+. Well, I was surprised to see that he uses a two-handed grip and cocks the hammer with his left thumb just like Jerry Miculek does when setting his world-records for speedshooting (eight shots in one second into a bullseye.)

Vic Lim says that twisting the revolver when shooting DA is almost impossible to avoid - especially if shooting is done one-handed. The pressure of the trigger finger and hand tends to push the gun somewhat to the side.

So, he uses a two-hand grip in such a way as to keep the thumb of his left hand up there near the hammer, and he cocks each shot with that LEFT thumb, and pulls the trigger with his right index finger, and by doing this he shoots FAST. (That's how Miculek does it.)Of course, the other advantage of doing it this way is that you avail of the lightness of the SA action - only about 2.5 - 3 lbs in my 686+, which is lighter than the SA pull in most semi-autos, and much much lighter than the revolver's DA pull.

Don't know if this method will be comfortable in a real-life defensive situation, or if it's just for show, but Vic does it pretty well for both speed and accuracy. They used to teach this technique in the old days,daw.It's worth practicing. Fast SA shooting can't be bad.

Eye Cutter
10-25-2004, 09:14
ante: if your DA pull is as smooth as a baby's bottom, no need to thumb-cock the hammer!

But this is generally the norm when shooting revolvers. For people used to shooting auto-pistols and are only occasional wheelgun shooters, like myself, the support hand thumb turns black from the blast coming out the cylinders fast! hahaha. The correct way is for the left thumb to hug the right thumb near where the hammer is.

I don't know who specializes in S&W revolver action work locally but changing to a reduced power hammer spring will make the DA pull a lot lighter!

Allegra
10-25-2004, 10:05
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Took my friend Vic Lim (81 years old, prominent businessperson) to Northstar to shoot my S&W 686+. Well, I was surprised to see that he uses a two-handed grip and cocks the hammer with his left thumb just like Jerry Miculek does when setting his world-records for speedshooting (eight shots in one second into a bullseye.)

Vic Lim says that twisting the revolver when shooting DA is almost impossible to avoid - especially if shooting is done one-handed. The pressure of the trigger finger and hand tends to push the gun somewhat to the side.

So, he uses a two-hand grip in such a way as to keep the thumb of his left hand up there near the hammer, and he cocks each shot with that LEFT thumb, and pulls the trigger with his right index finger, and by doing this he shoots FAST. (That's how Miculek does it.)Of course, the other advantage of doing it this way is that you avail of the lightness of the SA action - only about 2.5 - 3 lbs in my 686+, which is lighter than the SA pull in most semi-autos, and much much lighter than the revolver's DA pull.

Don't know if this method will be comfortable in a real-life defensive situation, or if it's just for show, but Vic does it pretty well for both speed and accuracy. They used to teach this technique in the old days,daw.It's worth practicing. Fast SA shooting can't be bad.

errr....I'm pretty sure Miculek doesnt thumb cock the hammer when setting speed records. Well, he didnt do it when he beat Jethro sa American Handgunner.
I think DA shooters either just pull the trigger straight or take up the slack then pull when the sights are on target
Tinanong ko na yan sa BE forums about DA triggers when I switched to prod div, BE himself adviced to just pull the trigger straight thru

FAlvar
10-25-2004, 11:07
Miculek does not thumb cock in competition. He wouldn't stand a chance against the auto guys if he did this.

He does however, have very light springs on his gun (I'd like to know what primer he uses.. Federal?) and he has committed to memory (no doubt through practice) exactly when the trigger will reset. Thus he wastes no time nor extra movement when shooting fast DA.

antediluvianist
10-26-2004, 01:13
Well, I've seen the video of when Miculek set the world record (8 shots in one second from a revolver into a bullseye- looked like a submachine gun.) Maybe he doesn't thumb cock (with his LEFT thumb, not right- right thumb cocking is certainly slow as it requires a shift whereas using the left thumb is almost like fanning the hammer) in regular competition, but for a one-off attempt at a gimmick world record, he did. Perfect timing between his left thumb and right index finger, both moving very fast.

Anyway, left-thumb cocking is probably not useful in a real defensive situation, although my 81-year-old friend says he was taught to do it that way.