Advice on eliptical trainers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on eliptical trainers

Lesh
10-25-2004, 09:50
I have been working out about 1 hour per day on a treadmill for the last 5 months. I am down 50 pounds, and my blood pressure and cholesterol are way down. Yesterday I saw a "free to a good home" eliptical trainer down the street. It appeared to be in good shape, so I loaded it up and took it home. This morning, in about 15 minutes, it kicked my butt. I was totally exhausted. Any advice on the correct usage of one of these machines would be appreciated.
Thanks.

mossy500camo
10-25-2004, 20:34
I have one of these things. They will kill you. I remember when I first tried mine out 5 mins nearly killed me. I have never in my life would have thought that I was that bad out of shape. I ride bikes now and use the eliptical on rainy days. Lord I pray for SUN SHINE.:)

pete1953
10-28-2004, 23:38
What is a good one to buy? I need one a heavy duty modle for my size. Hopefully I won't go broke getting it.

DonGlock26
10-29-2004, 14:46
I love the Lifefitness elliptical at the gym.;3

I'd like to own my own someday.

testosterone
10-30-2004, 05:37
I bought this one about a year ago...love it...
http://www.iconfitness.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=979&prrfnbr=458290&cgrfnbr=10672#

five-0
10-30-2004, 06:52
I've had a Horizon Fitness model for years...love it. The price was reasonable and their customer service is very good ($500-600 IIRC). Tried the more expensive brands and these actually felt/worked better.

Some advice...whatever brand you choose, make sure you get one with the "arm rowers." Big difference in intensity between one with and one without, IMO.
Best.

horizonfitness.com

45acp4me
11-03-2004, 11:31
Originally posted by Donglock26
I love the Lifefitness elliptical at the gym.;3

I'd like to own my own someday.

I found the Pre Cor units to follow the flow of ones stride much better: http://www.precor.com/cpr_efx.php

As for proper usage of an elliptical, it varies a bit person to person.

First, don't crank the resistance way up at first keep it below the halfway mark. On a scale of 1 to 20 I usually train from 6 to 8, for me it's a good blend of cardio and strength.

Second, vary the incline it's simulating if you can, this will work different muscle groups.

Third, get a heart monitor and stay within your range for a cardio workout. Get to your desired range and stay there for at least 20 minutes.

I like the elliptical much more than the bike or a treadmill. The bike is a walk in the park compared to the elliptical, it's like I'm not doing any work.

Regards,
Glen