??Apple Note book?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ??Apple Note book??

mrmatt
10-25-2004, 15:34
Looking into getting a new Laptop for school. I just wanted to see if anyone uses a Apple, and if they like it? My main worry is it is compatable with PC/window's programs?

CranialCrusader
10-25-2004, 17:44
I love Apple stuff. I know several people at school who have them and they work very well. Just about every program you need is avalible on the Mac plus you don't have to worry about spyware and viruses and everything else.

Rock solid UNIX based OS too.

CranialCrusader

BrianM_G21
10-26-2004, 11:22
I've been a die-hard PC guy since I was 11 (1985), though I've dabled a little in *nix from time to time. Well, 2 months ago my wife wanted a new laptop and liked the Mac Powerbooks best... so I've been forcing myself to use it, and it's nothing but a huge frustration for a PC Poweruser. I hate that using the terminal to open a program takes longer than looking for and clicking an icon (I'm used to the run bar in windoze), I hate the some standard programs like Opera and Safari (internet browsers) crash on a daily basis. The hardware is expensive, users are fanatical (and often unfriendly to newbie questions).... Overall, I've been displeased with the switch. But we now own a $3k laptop, so I'm going to make the best of it... maybe I'll find something I like in the next 3 years (till the extended service runs out).

mrmatt
10-26-2004, 14:36
Thank you Brian & Cranial.

Still trying to make a decision. If I do switch to an apple I want it to be as painless as possible.

saber41
10-26-2004, 14:37
Check out Virtual PC for Mac,

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc

With Virtual PC you can run Windows and Windows Apps on the Mac.

fastvfr
10-26-2004, 17:53
A used laptop running Debian or Slackware would be about 10% the cost of a Powerbook, and just as powerful if not more so.

Plus, Debian is more app-friendly when going cross-platform than OS X is, since OpenOffice will create and open .xml, .rtf and .txt files perfectly, and WINE will play many Windows games, as well.

Mac OS X is too flaky for my tastes...and far too dumbed-down. I work on MACs as well as PC's, and although OS X is a vast improvement over OS 9 and earlier (NOT saying much there!) and it is stable most of the time (as is XP when set up properly, BTW), I can't recommend it for folks who want to get the most from their hardware.

If you want a decent non-M$ desktop, KDE is worlds better than MAC OS Panther. And by setting up a SAMBA server, your laptop can even share files with Windows OSes!

I mean, really....what can you expect from DARWIN *Nix?!?

That's no lie...that is what they named the obscure version of Unix they based Panther upon! I about laughed myself into a cramp when I heard that one!!

"OS X - For A New Generation Of Darwin-Award-Winning Operating Systems!"

Sheeesh.

Good luck,

FastVFR

hypoluxo
10-28-2004, 21:55
You guys aren't describing any Mac I'm familiar with. My background is Electrical Engineering. I've been using PCs for 20 years and Macs for about 10 years. I still use both on a daily basis (4 Macs, 2 PCs).

There is no way I would give up my Mac for a PC. The file system is more intuitive, the user interface is usually more obvious, and they have fewer hardware compatibility problems.

Each system has its kinks and peculiarities. It can be very difficult for a person who has been indoctrinated on one system to move to the other.

Nevertheless, it is extremely rare that I come across a situation where I wish I was using a PC instead of a Mac. Nearly every useful piece of software is available for a Mac or has an equivalent.

That being said, they are both tools - nothing more. Jeep or Explorer.

T. Harless
10-29-2004, 15:42
I'm forced at times to work on a PC and I hate it every time. I'm a graphics pro and Mac is the only way to. I have four up and running at all times in my home office. Sit at a dual processor G5 and a 23" Cinema Display and say it doesn't kick some serious PhotoShop tail.

Laptop wise, My G4 Powerbook is a kicking machine. My G3 Powerbooks is pretty much an internet surfing machine but is a fine word processing laptop if need be. There was a time when software was an issue. It's just not the case anymore. I think MS Office is actually a better product on the Mac side. That's just me, being a Mac guy. Obviously, I vote for the Apple. Todd

BrianM_G21
11-02-2004, 12:07
Originally posted by T. Harless
I'm a graphics pro and Mac is the only way to.

That's something I agree with... macs are better in dealing with visual media (movies, pictures, creating newsletters/magazines/newspapers/etc), things just work a little better even though I use the same programs on the PC (I'm just an amature hack with PS).

Originally posted by hypoluxo
That being said, they are both tools - nothing more. Jeep or Explorer.

And that's the problem, both are crap... I want a Toyota. ;U

des2
11-02-2004, 12:26
I admit I am a mac addict. I love macs because that is what I am the most proficient with for my graphic design & have used them since the 80s. If you are not a designer & only plan to use the computer for average at home programs (word, excel, games, etc) then get a pc.
Pros:
-A pc is less expensive
-The programs are more available (& less expensive)

Cons:
-PCs are virus magnets. My mac has never had this issue
-PCs become outdated faster & seem to need more maintenance
-My mac has never (yes never) crashed or had the sniffles

This is all simply my opinion alone: & like bellybuttons we all have them! My name is Des2 & I approved this message.;f