Concert Review: Queensryche (warning long post) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concert Review: Queensryche (warning long post)

rappa29
10-26-2004, 10:18
Saw Queensryche last weekend at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater, FL. They're touring and performing a set of their gretest hits and the Operation: Mindcrime album in it's entirety w\live actors.

I was in the 8th row of I'd guess about a 1500 seat theatre. Show wasn't sold out, but there were only a few empty seats in the back row.

The sound from where I was sitting\standing was excellent. Very good mix and got a little bit of the stage sound (drums). I really enjoy small venues as opposed to arenas because the sound is always much better!

Their first set, they played hits from their EP all the way through Empire and a couple off of Tribe and later albums. I quit following them after Empire so I don't know anything after that album. Off the top of my head, they played: Voices (I think that's what it's called from Rage For Order), Take Hold Of The Flame, Lady Wore Black, Jet City Woman, Another Rainy Night, Empire, Silent Lucidity and a couple of newer tunes I didn't know. Geoff Tate sounded awesome. He was hitting every note just like he did in the 80's-90's. Rythm section (Rockenfield and Jackson) were solid. Scott Rockenfield (drummer)was kickin' tail on a 4 piece!!! Don't remember the guitar players names, but one of them is new (replacing Chris DeGarmo). They were good. Had good guitar sound and nailed all the harmonies. Solid first set of old material and current.

Their second set was the one everyone was there for. They performed (musically and theatrically) the whole Operation Mindcrime album. IMHO, the best concept album this side of the The Wall. Rockenfield switched to a bigger kit, but not that much bigger (additional 3 rack toms and 2 China cymbals). They performed this set balls out!!! It was apparent that Tate couldn't reach some of the notes on some of the tunes from this album (which is weird considering he hit stuff from their EP the set before), but he still sounded great and hit just about everything else. They had a female backup singer (woman who also performed on the Operation Mindcrime recording) to help and she nailed all the harmonies. The two of them sounded perfect (notably on Sweet Sister Mary)! They had live actors playing the significant roles of the album (Nicki, Dr. X, Sister Mary). It was pretty good, but more like Community Theatre. Tate played Nicki and Dr. X during certain songs (Eyes Of A Stranger, Operation Mindcrime, Sweet Sister Mary) and was much more convincing than the real actors (probably because he's singing the tunes and more passionate about the characters). Again, the rythm section was THUNDERING! Rockenfield is appropriately named. He was rockin' the joint and holding everything down ROCK SOLID!! The guitar players nailed everything right on. Even though I would've liked to see Chris DeGarmo play all his parts, the new guy did fine.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Operation Mindcrime album and was satisfied that they performed it perfectly and with as much passion and emotion as they did when I saw them do it in 1990! Easily, the best $40 I ever spent!! If you're a Queensryche ran, DO NOT miss this tour!

Sorry post is so long, I just had to get it all out!;f

VicMackey
10-26-2004, 11:49
Operation Mindcrime is a great album. I had no idea those guys were still around. Now, I'll have to look into tour dates!

pluvo
10-29-2004, 16:28
Mindcrime was awesome! ~2

After listening to that, and Livecrime, and watching the videos, I always thought that album would make for a great movie.