Norinco Defensive Pistol [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Norinco Defensive Pistol

Valor1
10-27-2004, 08:01
This Norinco pistol will definitely see a lot of range time. It is fast becoming my favorite. Iím getting reliability and acceptable accuracy at a much lower price.

I like two-tone finishes but the out of the box finish on the Norinco needs more tender loving care. The chrome plating is like a medium rare steak. The plating that Norinco made is showing some rust marks on the corner areas so the slide finish has to go.

I caní t bear the short trigger that is why it is the first thing I changed. I have rather large hands and the Kingís aluminum trigger solved the concern easily. It just took me about two hours of careful filing on the Kingís hammer fit it into that hole. The gunsmith gave it a a 3.5 lbs. trigger pull.

I wanted a no-frills pistol and wanted to save a few cents all the way. I decided I wanted the beavertail to avoid the possibility of hammer bites. I changed to a rounded hammer by Ed Brown (Hardcore hammer) for easier drawing from concealment. Since I have changed the trigger and hammer, I decided that I might as well change the disconnector and sear with Ed Brown match grade parts. Since the gun is for defensive purposes, I installed a drop-in type Novak sight and had the front sight dovetailed. I used a drop-in rear sight to save on machining time and costs. I like the extended thumb safety for a high thumb hold firing position and decided Iíll go for a single-sided safety. I donít have a use for ambi safety since I am right handed. I also hate ambis because of the difficulty removing them. The original cheap looking plastic grips need to go for the eyesore it creates. I then installed a pair of ebonywood (or kamagong) and the gun look more distinguished. The original grips are also giving me a perception of thinness.

A few cosmetic touches were made on the slide to make it look better. I had the rear serrations ďre-serratedĒ for a more positive hold and look. The scallop on the front of the slide were given a little square cut to align it with the frames dust cover. The change is not very noticeable at first glance but itís there anyway.

I wanted the gun to be as reliable as possible. In doing so, I had the barrel throated and the extractor tuned. Even from out of the box, the pistol is already functioning well. After the throating and tuning, it is now superb. I also replaced the firing pin with Ed Brownís Hardcore firing pin. I wanted the extra security against breakage because I sometimes dry fire a lot when I can. The springs were also replaced with ISMI springs using the standard 16 lbs. spring for the recoil guide. I donít have a use for full length guide rods because I hate the difficulty in disassembling a gun with them installed. The original Norinco part stays in place under the barrel.

The gun now fits my hand better and I can see the sights better. I took it to the range and let it spout 250 rounds. I didnít experienced any jams except for a failure to feed using Armscorpís Novak 8-rd magazine. When I switched to the original Norinco mags and Chip McCormick Power Mags, I went back to 100% reliability. I used 150 Armscor full metal jacket bullets and 100 rounds of standard load reloads from Stronghand. It is getting grouping of 3" at 15 yards with the reloads and a bit better with the Armscor ammo. I guess it's just me.

Finally, the gun was reblued. The blueing is a temporary thing. I may opt for the lesser maintenance hard chrome later on ( I am looking forward to a black hard chrome finish). My criteria for reliability, acceptable accuracy, better ergonomics and lower cost is finally achieved.

http://tinypic.com/ekntd

The Final Product

My apologies for the smudges. Just too excited to show it before thoroughly cleaning it.
http://tinypic.com/ekntk

Summary of Parts installed:

Ed Brown Hard Core Hammer
Ed Brown Match Sear
Ed Brown Match Disconnector
Ed Brown Hardcore Firing pin
Kingís Long Aluminum Trigger
Armscorp Beavertail
Shooters Arms Corp. Extended Thumb safety
Gunsmith fabricated front sight
Gunsmith fabricated rear sight
Locally made ebonywood grips

Eye Cutter
10-27-2004, 08:11
bravo! that is one heck of a pistol!

how much was the armscor beavertail? where'd you get and how much are the novak rear sights?

julianz
10-27-2004, 08:14
ang pogi naman nyan sir ..how much did it cost you ? details please ..where did you have it done?

Valor1
10-27-2004, 08:18
Thanks Eyecutter. Actually your gun was also my inspiration after the Range cum STi project gun you made. Kaya lang medyo tipid sa budget na kaya eto na lang ang result. The beavertail is P595 from Squires Bingham in Boni Serrano and almost comparable to the Ed Browns iyong "upswept" style nya. Looking for Ed Brown sana kaya lang they are quite expensive na. Don't like Pascual beavertails din dahil masyado naman overpriced for a local part. The sights are fabricated by my gunsmith (I think nasa P 1,500 yata).

Julianz,
Pistol is P 17,000. parts installed di ko pa maalala. Pero I think wala pa yan P 30k or almost P 30k.

mc_oliver
10-27-2004, 17:58
Nice! Looking at your pics nangangati kamay ko. Nai-imagine ko na kasi kung ano yung mga areas na kikikilin ko. ;f

Valor1
10-27-2004, 19:23
McOliver,
When the gun came out of the box, talagang gusto mo na agad gulpihin sa kikil. The finish is so rough lalo na the insides of the slide. I call this my Level 1 modification. he he he. Baka pang Single Stack o IDPA competition ang titikman nyan later on. Next step siguro ng modification e mabigyan ng magwell, front strap checkering o stippling at bagong barrel.

Vault Keeper
10-27-2004, 19:34
Valor1 sir, ganda! You really can see the difference, just like that of EC, before and after pictures...hope to bhave the time to do some works on my baby...

Regards!

Eye Cutter
10-27-2004, 19:40
VK: ayayayay!!! wag mo galawin yung gold cup mo. keep it stock as it came from the factory! Yung Para na lang i-customize mo! Sayang yung Colt!

julianz
10-28-2004, 06:15
ingit tuloy ako ..makapag overtime nga ng marami at ng makapag 1911 na rin. ano na naman kayang dadahilan ko kay Mrs.;f

New_comer
10-28-2004, 06:41
Very nice piece you have there, valor1! Nicely done ^c

Saan ka nagpa-smith?

horge
10-28-2004, 18:19
Very nice pistol, valor1!
Good mods :)

Hermo Gut
10-29-2004, 23:33
Valor 1, okey yan sir. Hindi ka talaga malulugi sa Norinco, kahit stock pa yan very reliable out of the box. I'll get one na ,yung Milspec, pang all around unit. Nice work. :) ;)

Alexii
10-31-2004, 04:00
Valor1, how's the machining inside the Norinco's slide and frame? Did you have any difficulties installing the Ed Brown parts or are they just a drop-in affair?

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Norinco lately, especially the strength of its steel.

Valor1
10-31-2004, 19:37
Thanks for the compliment everybody. Kayo talaga ang naging reason nito e. Ayoko na nga ng guns pero ng mapasali ko sa Glocktalk.com e nag-umpisa na naman ang kati.

Alexii,
The parts are all standard and will take any parts made for the 1911 pistol. Fitting the new parts didn't pose any problems, only very minor adjustments on the gunsmith's part. The only thing you wuldn't like are the crude machining marks inside and outside the pistol. Other than that, no othere problems. I shot it again today for another 200 rounds of major reloads from Stronghand. No problems of any kind. I tried Armscor's Novak mags on the last 50 rounds, nag-digest na rin. Wala na talagang problem.

Alexii
10-31-2004, 23:33
Valor1-- does your Norinco have a firing pin safety ala Colt's 80 series?

Valor1
11-01-2004, 00:07
I believe all Norinco 1911's like mine have no firing pin safety ala Series 80 Colts.