Wireing network jacks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wireing network jacks

pal2511
10-27-2004, 08:27
In my new house I plan on installing network jacks in 3 of the rooms. I want to have at least 10/100 mb speed. I know I need a crimper and the plugs and cable....do you guys reccomend anything else.

HerrGlock
10-27-2004, 08:31
Cable tester. It's some money, about $80 or up to as much as you want to spend, but it's worth its weight in gold when you're trying to figure out why something's not talking.
http://images.belkin.com/F4F314/STD1_F4F314.jpg
Belkin online price $89.99
DanH

HerrGlock
10-27-2004, 08:34
Here's the one I've got for home. It works ;f

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=206116&pfp=BROWSE
Multi-Network Cable Tester
Manufacturer: Belkin
Mfg Part #: F4F315-T
Product Number: 206116
$59.99

pal2511
10-27-2004, 08:36
I plan on having 3 items plugged into the network in the living room. Do you think it would be better to hook up the 3 devices to a switch then to teh network panel. Or somehow get 3 network panels wired up seperatly into the wall.. I am gonna have a xbox/playstation 2 and pc

pal2511
10-27-2004, 08:39
How about this one...

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SMTRX-034&cat=NET

pal2511
10-27-2004, 08:40
This is a kit with everything....

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CT-CAT5E-1000-30U

pal2511
10-27-2004, 08:42
Do I need a special cable to penetrate floors and walls? I remember while reading an old A+ or mcse manual that you had to get a special type of cable that started with a P ...I think. Enlighten me..I havnt did this networking stuff for a longggg time.

lomfs24
10-27-2004, 09:01
I don't know anything about special cable to go through walls and floors. I have cable strung all over my house and it is just the blue stuff you get from Radio Shack.

As far as testers. The ones that HerrGlock mentioned test for more than continuity. I think the ones you were looking at just see if there is a connection from end to end.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. You could always try the cheap tester and then if you are having network problems then you could get the more expensive one to find out what the problems is. Maybe you could find a local electronics shop or electical shop who would rent you one for a while.

HerrGlock
10-27-2004, 09:23
Wire: Make sure it's CAT 5 or CAT 6.

Kit with everything looks like a nice one, but the cable is not shielded. If you run it by a power cable, you'll screw up the network traffic.

Standard setup is out of wall to switch near the port. Computers get plugged into switch.

DanH

pfrigm
10-27-2004, 09:38
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Wire: Make sure it's CAT 5 or CAT 6.

Kit with everything looks like a nice one, but the cable is not shielded. If you run it by a power cable, you'll screw up the network traffic.

Standard setup is out of wall to switch near the port. Computers get plugged into switch.

DanH

What HerrGlock said. The "starts with P" thing is probably "plenum rated" cable. Plenum rated cable uses a jacket material that when heated to a high temp (like in a fire), will not give off toxic fumes. In new constuctions that have plenum (ie non-ducted) spaces above the ceiling, you are supposed to use plenum rated cable to be in compliance with code. At our facility, we simply ducted everything and left the ceilings open (saved money on ceiling materials as well as not having to pay for the more expensive plenum rated cable). In areas where we did have plenum space, we ran conduit for the cable so that the cable was enclosed. Unless you are running your cable through duct work (don't do that, by the way:)), you don't need plenum cable. You do want Cat5e or Cat6, however - even if most residential codes call for Cat3 as a minimum.

renman
10-27-2004, 10:31
Have you considered wireless ??

JohnCT
10-27-2004, 10:45
Pal2511, PM me if you want to get the specifics of what you should use for the whole setup. I'll go through the whole process with you.

Clyde
10-27-2004, 11:26
Check out Smart home (http://www.smarthome.com/8559.html) for Wall Plates. I like the Leviton stuff.

I would Drop JohnCT a PM :) -

Do you have any other devices on the Network? (PC, Servers, Network Printers, or AP's) What are you using to connect to www (DSL, Cable?)

JohnCT
10-27-2004, 14:07
FYI, 3Com makes manageable switches built into the wall jacks.
http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=WEBBNCNJSYS

Not saying it's the best option but thought I'd throw this out there just for knowledge sake. It can also have built in power over ethernet for VoIP phones.

AggieMM
10-27-2004, 14:38
Originally posted by renman
Have you considered wireless ??

I agree with this!!!! Unless you're installing cables in new construction for a specific reason, I highly recommend going wireless, specifically 802.11g. It is cheaper, easier, and secure enough with proper configurations. You'll save on switch and cable costs.

However, I did wire my entire house, but I only did it because the house would only be sheetrock free once in its lifetime. Gave the foreman a 6 pack and pulled the cable over a weekend. Another reason for doing it was for the "geek" badge of honor. :)

Ryan

P.S. - Shameless bragging, here's my setup - Ryan's Network Pic (http://www.woodfam.com/download/network-20040115_2083.jpg)

JohnCT
10-27-2004, 15:18
hehe Cisco Catalyst switches....sun....hp...hehe nice stuff :)

If any of you need a hookup for APC stuff, let me know.

HerrGlock
10-27-2004, 16:01
Originally posted by JohnCT
hehe Cisco Catalyst switches....sun....hp...hehe nice stuff :)

If any of you need a hookup for APC stuff, let me know.

I've got a handful of Ultras and SPARCs and use PIXs. Do you have three phase A/C UPSs? That's my next one.

DanH

AAshooter
10-27-2004, 16:23
This outfit has a lot of materials and products for home wiring. It is small shop in my area where a lot of do-it-yourselfers get help, advice and materials. This is a link to their Learning page. They have some nice write-ups on wiring for a variety of tasks.

http://www.hometech.com/learn/index.html

JohnCT
10-27-2004, 17:45
Originally posted by HerrGlock
I've got a handful of Ultras and SPARCs and use PIXs. Do you have three phase A/C UPSs? That's my next one.

DanH
I could get you set with 3 phase UPS. I'm not sure whether you're just wanting the higher end smart ups or if you're looking to get into the infrastruxure or symmetra line. Let me know. :)

srhoades
10-28-2004, 02:27
Originally posted by pal2511
Do I need a special cable to penetrate floors and walls? I remember while reading an old A+ or mcse manual that you had to get a special type of cable that started with a P ...I think. Enlighten me..I havnt did this networking stuff for a longggg time.

That would be Plenum.

Cinic
10-28-2004, 09:47
Pal2511, PM me if you want to get the specifics of what you should use for the whole setup. I'll go through the whole process with you.

Not trying to be a jerk, but why not keep it public so the rest of us can learn too?

JohnCT
10-28-2004, 10:04
Originally posted by Cinic
Not trying to be a jerk, but why not keep it public so the rest of us can learn too?
I guess I just didn't want to flood the forum with a bunch of stuff that many of you would find irrelevant since I was going to try and address Pal's specific issues. I'll post some of the relevant general info :)

Cinic
10-28-2004, 11:49
No worries. I was just being selfish because I like to read about networking stuff. ;f

JohnCT
10-28-2004, 12:53
If any of you want a decent free trade magazine, I'd recommend NetworkWorld. You can sign up at www.nwfusion.com. Subscribe link is in the top right. Whether you work in the IT field or not, I'd recommend filling out the info with bogus stuff. The questions they go through are to get marketing data on you but the magazine is well worth it. They have alot of articles that go over whats up and coming along with analyzing products and current technology. Heck...I would even pay a bit of money to get it.

(And no I'm not affiliated with their company in any way)

^c

pal2511
10-28-2004, 15:45
Does anyone sell the cat 5e plenum cable that is NOT in a 1000 foot roll? I dont need 1000 feet at all..

AggieMM
10-28-2004, 16:09
At my Lowes, I could buy it by the foot, but that way is very expensive. It was cheaper to buy the 1000' box and "store" the remaining cable for future use.

Ryan

lomfs24
10-28-2004, 16:52
If any of you want a decent free trade magazine, I'd recommend NetworkWorld. You can sign up at www.nwfusion.com. Subscribe link is in the top right. Whether you work in the IT field or not, I'd recommend filling out the info with bogus stuff. The questions they go through are to get marketing data on you but the magazine is well worth it. They have alot of articles that go over whats up and coming along with analyzing products and current technology. Heck...I would even pay a bit of money to get it.

(And no I'm not affiliated with their company in any way)

^c

Thanks, just signed up for it.

Cinic
10-28-2004, 16:56
Originally posted by pal2511
Does anyone sell the cat 5e plenum cable that is NOT in a 1000 foot roll? I dont need 1000 feet at all..

Do you really need the plenum cable? I highly doubt that your house isn't fully ducted so the plenum cable wouldn't be required. However, I am thinking of home construction around here so it may be different wherever you are.

JohnCT
10-28-2004, 19:29
Originally posted by Cinic
Do you really need the plenum cable? I highly doubt that your house isn't fully ducted so the plenum cable wouldn't be required. However, I am thinking of home construction around here so it may be different wherever you are.

I'd really stick with Plenum cable unless you're hard up on money. PVC cable ignites at a lower temperature and spreads fire quite quickly while releasing alot of dense, toxic smoke, which will contain, among other things, hydrochloric acid. The Plenum does cost *up to* 2-3x more for the cable itself but why not play it safe and put in a cable that is designed to be fire-resistant and give off very little smoke. I always have the cable guys pull plenum even if it's not a plenum environment...but then again I'm not worried about the extra cost...I'm more interested in safety. Guess the biggest thing to decide is whether or not the few bucks you save by pulling PVC over plenum will be worth the safety factor you'll be giving up. Most home owners won't even put a dent in a 1000 ft roll.

Cinic
10-29-2004, 09:54
What are all the other cables (electric, telephone, etc) in the house made with? I don't know, but if they're not plenum rated, it seems wasteful to run a plenum rated network cable adjacent to a PVC sheathed telephone cable.

Are these other cables typically plenum rated?

JohnCT
10-29-2004, 14:22
To the extent of my knowledge, there are even more types of jacketing for electrical cable than for data/voice cable. Even with the various types of electric cable jacketing, I believe most of the jackets require much higher temperature to ignite and they make them fire resistent in most cases. In situations where the electrical is of concern it is placed in conduit which would help contain any fire outbreak and smoke. As for the voice cabling, I would assume that you would be putting in voice cabling while pulling for your data. If you're going to be leaving the existing voice cabling, it more than likely has a PVC jacketing but since we're talking residential I don't think it's as big of a deal. Most residential homes have a single cable run in series to each of the voice jacks in the house. It's normally a category 3 (or lower...) cable. The actual amount of material in the cable is minimal and I would think that the risk of that material would not be as great due to the small amount of material available to burn. Cat 5 or 6 cable is much bulkier and has more jacketing material to contribute fuel to the fire. Only thing I'm saying is that regardless of whatever else you have in, why not contribute towards a safer home environment? If I was going through the trouble of upgrading/adding data to my home then I would have the voice repulled as well. Of course if you don't have the voice repulled, maybe someday you will and then you can replace it with plenum also. I can't account for all the various materials within the household but every little step towards safety counts in my book. Of course if you don't have the extra few bucks to spend on the 1000 ft box of cable, then that somewhat settles the issue there although I doubt any of us here would be contemplating adding data cabling to our homes if we were that hard up for money. I'm not a cabling expert but I can get answers to questions. I'll double check on the electrical cable to be sure and I'll let you know.

As a side note, I did see wireless mentioned in the thread. The current wireless standards are not secure unless you go with a complex setup which no consumer or even a uber geek would go through to truly secure down the wireless environment. There is 802.11i that should be out soon that will somewhat improve the security scene. I believe 802.11n is supposed to be finalized in 2006 and bring about ~540 Mbps raw throughput with some sort of backward compatability with 802.11 g and b. I believe 802.16 and 802.20 are out for metropolitan wireless broadband. Supposed to be for companies like Verizon or your local phone provider to compete against cable modem companies. Anyway...just thought I'd mention it for knowledge sake....

Cinic
10-29-2004, 18:10
Your point on overall home safety is well taken and I agree with you in theory. I just wonder where you draw the line. There are just so many more items in the home which are going to emit toxic fumes when burned.

I guess for a home, the cost of upgrading to plenum cable doesn't really make that much of a difference. And every little step helps.

JohnCT
10-29-2004, 18:39
Yea...I completely understand your POV as well. Even if we wanted to build a safe house it would be pretty hard with contractors the way they are....well at least in my area.

lomfs24
10-29-2004, 21:37
Yea...I completely understand your POV as well. Even if we wanted to build a safe house it would be pretty hard with contractors the way they are....well at least in my area.

In the spec homes I have built, when I worked for a contractor who built spec homes, I would think that the the cableing, no matter what kind, would be the least of your worries in a fire.

greenlead
10-30-2004, 00:32
My house is wired with cat5 and we use Leviton plates.

Stay away from the old Linksys switches. We got them a few years ago, and they are nothing but trouble.

JohnCT
10-30-2004, 09:11
Originally posted by lomfs24
In the spec homes I have built, when I worked for a contractor who built spec homes, I would think that the the cableing, no matter what kind, would be the least of your worries in a fire.
Guess my habit carries over from the cabling decisions at work.....sometimes we put in miles of cable in a small floor.

JohnCT
10-30-2004, 10:43
Originally posted by greenlead
My house is wired with cat5 and we use Leviton plates.

Stay away from the old Linksys switches. We got them a few years ago, and they are nothing but trouble.
FYI, Linksys makes some decent products for the price now. I think part of their shift was due to being purchased by Cisco.

Hey lomfs24, just wondering if you would have any insight since you worked in the residential end, do you know of any other products in the household that would release alot of toxic smoke and burn easily? Was interested if you could think of anything. I couldn't think of much and it's got me wondering about the residential side of things....
Gonna go bug our contractors next time I meet with them....

DragonRider
10-30-2004, 21:17
I got this when I did my wiring job. I ran 2 cables to each point. Here is a 500 foot spool. It's handy also when a family member wants a cable run.

http://www.cablesamerica.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=2703&sku=27343

Good luck

John

pal2511
11-17-2004, 22:49
Well everyone I purchased the new house. I am gonna run the plenum wire and new cable coaxial wire also. I am running the coax wire to the same faceplate as the cat 5 wire .. How many plugs of networking should I put on each plate. I am even running one to the kitchen for giggles.. I am having 3 in the living room and 1 for each bedroom. I am also rerunning the phone wire.