Has anyone here ever traded/sold a Harley to get a crotch rocket. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here ever traded/sold a Harley to get a crotch rocket.

Ghosty
10-27-2004, 11:27
I've had my '03 Harley Softtail standard for little over a year. Although it is a great motorcycle, I'm considering trading it or selling it for a '05 Yamaha R1 or R6 (all black for '05). (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/mcy/media/wallpaper/wallpaper_mcy_05_R1_5_1024.jpg)

The Harley is nice, but where I live, the roads are more curvy and well suited for a crotch rocket. Also, I seem to never have the time to keep the Harley in spotless condition.

I had a '04 Yamaha FZ6 for a short time, and I enjoyed it very much. Handled better, better braking, and was just as comfortable.

So I'm wondering if anyone has ever done a similar trade, and what their opinions were of it (smart move, regretted it, etc).

Also, does anyone here own a '04 R1? If so, do you like it

TriggerRider
10-27-2004, 19:58
Ghosty -

Never owned a Harley, although I have ridden most of the Harley models produced in my 30 odd years of motorcycling.
My philosophy is that I don't want to own anything that takes more than 20 minutes to clean - I have more pressing things to do in my life ! Like RIDE.

If you owned an FZ6, you might want to check out the FZ1. It is more powerful, comfortable for fairly long rides, and handles very well.
Yes, I own an '01 model, and love it.

We also have the best forum in motorcycling.
Good luck with your decision.

xrated
10-27-2004, 20:24
First of all, I sell both. I work at a motorcycle shop in the St. Louis, MO area (Alton, IL) that sells H.D. and Honda (we do keep the bikes separate, so they don't fight, :) ) and only one time in the year and a few months that I've been there, has anyone traded a Harley for a sportbike. We had a used Suzuki Hayabusa, and a guy came in and traded a Harley cruiser for the Zuke.

Harleys and sportbikes are like talking apples and oranges. I've ridden for 33 years and my feelings have always been, ride what works for you. Hondas have always been one of the most reliable, troublefree motorcycles on the planet. Harleys on the other hand, as most of you know, have had quality problems for years. They are a much better motorcycle now than they ever have been. Plusses are that they retain their value much better than any motorcycle made. Harley sells a "lifestyle" as well as motorcycles. Another plus for the H.D. side is that there is more accessories made for Harley than any other motorcycle around. The Japanese motorcycles, without a doubt are much more reasonably priced, and give you much more "value" for your dollar. It all depends on your riding style, income level, and what makes you smile. Myself, I'm an old guy that still loves to go fast, hang a knee in the corners, and spend more time riding than working on my bike. Honda dependability, reliability, fit, finish, and value; make the decision easy for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/vlklwood/CBR1100XX/misc-562_15162339.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/vlklwood/seXXt/dragon-2_19360006.jpg

F14Scott
10-27-2004, 21:04
Man, that is a beautiful XX. The exhaust looks varrry niiiice.

I understand one can still get '03 Birds in the crate. Someday...

Eyespy
10-27-2004, 22:11
"crotch rocket" ;Q

Ghosty
10-28-2004, 09:56
Originally posted by Eyespy
"crotch rocket" ;Q

Guess I touched a nerve. ^8

I've never considered the term "crotch rocket" an insult.

Eyespy
10-28-2004, 23:30
If I may presume to know what type of bikes you are actually alluding to, the correct terminology would be "sport bikes". I have always been put off by the phrase "crotch rocket", as it does generally carry an intended negative connotation, even if you were not yourself invoking it, and it least accurately portrays that to which it refers.

xrated
10-28-2004, 23:30
The term "Crotch Rocket" has an especially bad connotation that associates sportbikes with irresponsible people. Certainly there are irresponsible people riding all kind of bikes, but as much bad press as the sportbikes are getting, we don't need to throw out another opportunity for the media to take a shot at motorcycling in general. So, from now on, just call them sportbikes. :)

xrated
10-29-2004, 00:48
Thanks F14Scott! The pipes are a set of Carbon fiber cans with stainless steel "S" bend pipes. The brand name is MIG and they supposedly are no longer in business. A friend of mine that has the same bike and access to a dyno shop, split the cost of have a Custom map made for the PowerCommander II. It dynoed at 148.2 HP and that of course is not considering the ram air affect at speed. Absolutely a great sound too. 8000RPMs = After-Burner! :)

kels
10-29-2004, 01:25
I dont know if it is the horse power
or what.
People climb on to one and it is like
they loose common sense.
I wish you well and hope you are the
exception.
Make sure the life insurance is paid up
and please sign your organ donor card.
My best ticket so far is 64/20 while
he was riding on one wheel.

SteelFrame
10-29-2004, 08:27
I realize I may be a minority in todays market, but other than the dirt bikes I started on as a little kid 35 years ago, I prefer the standard bikes and sure wish there were more of them to choose from. I do miss the 750 Nighthawk (toured Europe on one) though it's a bit small for my needs.

I'm in the market for a new bike and plan to get an '05 Honda 919 or a Kawi ZRX1200 in the next few months.

Any standard riders out there?

xrated
10-29-2004, 13:50
I dont know if it is the horse power
or what.
People climb on to one and it is like
they loose common sense.
I wish you well and hope you are the
exception.
Make sure the life insurance is paid up
and please sign your organ donor card.
My best ticket so far is 64/20 while
he was riding on one wheel.

Not that I couldn't have an accident, but I've been riding for 33 years, and ALWAYS wear full protective gear EVERY TIME that I ride. Also, with age comes wisdom, hopefully. There is a time and a place for everything

LTR
10-29-2004, 17:07
Purchased my first HD in 2001. Waited 11 months for it and paid $1000 over list. Put 7500 miles on it two up and never had any trouble. Too much maintenace in my opinion. At the time it required three different oils for the trans, clutch and motor. Now Harley sales there own synthetic which can be used in all three. More place for busted bugs then you could believe. All black and it would get dirty just looking at it. Sold it and purchased this new last April. Never have looked back. 2003 Honda ST1300ABS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/50b2158f.jpg

This bike cleans up great. Oil changes are easy. Electric windshield is great. And with 7.7 gals it can really go the distance. Twice the HP and better milage to boot.

LTR

Compy
10-29-2004, 22:53
A few years ago I had a Harley Night Train. I ended up having to sell it to pay the loan off when I got laid off. Just a month ago I bought (actually, the company I work for bought it for me! :) ) a Honda 919.

I thoroughly enjoy the Honda more than the Harley. It is a bit more comfortable, has a LOT more power, handles WAY better and isn't geared like a tractor!

I'm not against Harleys by any means and will one one again someday, but they are just two different riding experiences. Test ride as many bikes as you can before making your decision. The thing I don't like about most crotch rockets is the crouched riding position. It tends to hurt my back. The 919 has a more upright position, but not quite as upright as a Harley.

xrated
10-30-2004, 21:29
"crotch rocket"

^2

V Creed
10-31-2004, 23:57
I have ridden Harley's for years. Presently own a 97 Heritage Classic. Never had any problems with it in about 25k miles.

But........I recently bought a Honda 1800 VTX Retro (looks sort of like a giant Harley) which is a lot faster than my Harley. I put drag pipes on it, so it sounds like a NASCAR race car.

Come summer I'll probably sell the Harley, since the VTX is faster, louder and handles better! ;f

Crotch-rockets? ;T

Eyespy
11-01-2004, 12:17
"NASCAR"

Ewww......;5

RKC2000
11-01-2004, 21:04
I've riden HD for around 6 years now. I know if I had a sport bike I'd kill myself - as I tend to wind it up when I can. My Road King Classic keeps me at or under 115 mph.

I'm also not a HD bigot - I like anything with two wheels and an engine.

xrated
11-01-2004, 23:16
I'm also not a HD bigot - I like anything with two wheels and an engine.

Good for you. I have been riding since I was 16, and I'll be 50 in a couple of days. I have always felt that it didn't matter what you rode, as long as you were having fun riding, that is what should count. Too many people (I hesitate to call them motorcyclist), are more concerned about the name on the side of the bike, than they are about actually riding.

BrianM_G21
11-02-2004, 11:19
I had a friend while attending MMI that went from a Softail classic to a Kawi ZX6E and then put 48k miles on the bike in the next 4 years. He's working in a HD shop, but rides a Yamaha now (I think, he was in the process of shopping the last time we spoke) and said that he perfered the slightly more relaxed 'sportbikes' to Harleys now ~ something about more bike for the money and not having to work on his bike at home after doing it all week in the shop.

That said, he only made the switch after I agreed to take the HD classes (along with Suzuki and Yamaha, dropped Honda). Interesting machines, and I'd like to own an older one someday when I have the disposable income to afford a non-primary road bike (I can only have one, and when I can afford 2, the other will be a dedicated track bike).

Ghosty
11-03-2004, 14:49
Thanks for the replys, everybody.

Safety was another issue with my Harley. I always rode my FZ6 with a full helment and kept my speed in check. On my Harley, I never wear my helment and I'm always trying to light or smoke a cigarette while riding.

I'm more cautious on the sportbike...which will make my mother feel better. ;f

My wife and others think I'm nuts for wanting to trade it for a sportbike, but I believe they are more interested in the name stamped on the side of the tank, just like Xrated pointed out.

Also, the Harley just costs to much in money and time. You have to get all the expensive accessories, like little chrome whatevers, $1000 pipes, $1000 saddlebags, and a closet full of Harley T-shirts.

With the sportbike, just get some decent riding gear and a $50 tank bag, then you are ready to hit the road.

Well, I guess I just got to find some sucker to give me enough money for it so I can get the R1.

BikerRN
11-10-2004, 07:26
I just put my 2003 "Tricked Out" Harley FXD up for sale so I can buy a VStrom.

Harleys have always taken a lot of time to maintain, and I prefer to ride, not polish all day. The bike was very comfy the way I had her set up, but I'm going to take a big hit on the milage. In 9 months I've put 10,000 miles on her. The local Harley people think that's too many miles, and celebrate putting 2500 miles on a scoot in two years.

I'm more into distance and seeing the sights, not looking like "Billy Bad*ss. So I guess I'll jump over to the other side and start riding a Suzuki. I've got Harley shirts from Hong Kong and Australia that will make great cleaning rags. <smirk>

Anyway, take care and enjoy whatever you ride, it's all good. I'll probably get a Road King in a couple of years, but for now I want simplicity and dirt road capability.

Rinspeed
11-24-2004, 19:13
I always thought you had to wonder about an "American Made" company that could make more profits selling clothing, that was made oversees, than motorcycles.

Rinspeed

jemontgomery
12-12-2004, 04:02
consider the yamaha FZ1; a 996cc (liter bike) standard; superioor to the 919 and a joy to ride. i traded my valkyrie for one. made the switch @ 60 yrs. old. don't regret it a bit.

45acp4me
12-13-2004, 11:07
Take the time to try a FZ1, Bandit 1200, and 919 before you buy the R6 or R1. All three are a nice blend between a standard and a sportbike. Handling is quite good, ergonomics are nice and you aren't bent over like on a sport bike.

Regards,
Glen

CBRGlocker
01-04-2005, 13:52
I did it and haven't regretted it. I traded an FZR1000 for a Night Train. Don't get me wrong, the night train was a nice bike to cruise on but I just missed the quick throttle response, light weight and agility of the sport bike.

Rabbi
01-05-2005, 01:44
I was a Harley guy. I was mesmerized by the mystic and all the trapping since I was a child. I have personally rebuilt two basket cases , both Iron Head sportsters. I have owned a Fat boy and a Springer Soft tail. I have tried not to be a Brand Snob, But I did enjoy my Harleys to the point I didn't want to consider anything else.

THEN IT HAPPENED!

I took a friends GSXR for a good long spin. I was Hooked. I no longer own Harleys. I have had Hondas, Ducatis and now a Triumph. All Sport Bikes. I have no desire to return to cruiser type bikes any time soon but as I age I am sure they will lure me back. While I hold nothing against Harley, Having had an awakening to the whole of the bike market and no longer needing to be associated with the Harley image, I don't think I would consider a Harley again when the time comes for me to get a tourer or cruiser.

Perry F.
01-05-2005, 05:19
Originally posted by xrated
The term "Crotch Rocket" has an especially bad connotation that associates sportbikes with irresponsible people. Certainly there are irresponsible people riding all kind of bikes, but as much bad press as the sportbikes are getting, we don't need to throw out another opportunity for the media to take a shot at motorcycling in general. So, from now on, just call them sportbikes. :)

Screw that guy, call em, what you want, CROTCH ROCKETS, I like it.

That guys a friggin motorcycle sales man, does want people comin in asking for crotches, it will lower his commision.
Something nearly as bad as death and taxes, is pushy know it all sales people.

Stand up for yourself. Ghost

Perry F.
01-05-2005, 05:25
CROTCH ROCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dandapani
01-05-2005, 07:56
Originally posted by Eyespy
"crotch rocket" ;Q

Ok, how about Repli-Racer?

xrated
01-05-2005, 17:59
Perry F wrote:
Screw that guy, call em, what you want, CROTCH ROCKETS, I like it.

Realistically, it makes no difference to me what YOU call them. If you are willing to broadcast your ignorance to the world, then so be it. My commissions are based on the cc displacement of the motorcycle that I sell, not the terminology that some dimwit places on it. Actually, the term "Crotch Rocket" may have more letters in it than the sum total of your I.Q.

PS. If you're going to "screw that guy" as you so elequoently stated, you must make an appointment with me, I don't take walks ins anymore.

Rinspeed
01-05-2005, 19:39
If you are willing to broadcast your ignorance to the world, then so be it.

I agree that those that call them Crotch Rockets are just showing their lack of intelligence and/or understanding. I've owned between 25 - 30 bikes from just about every company that is still around today and some that aren't. Some of the 1000 cc and larger sport bikes can provide a ride that is unmatched by any cruiser bike made by anybody. That is IF you like precise handling, brakes that will actually stop you when you really need to and a little extra power that helps make the ride more enjoyable. Here is one of mine that has never let me down. What ever you ride just ride safe.

Rinspeed

Texas T
01-05-2005, 20:28
My commissions are based on the cc displacement of the motorcycle that I sell,
Why is that the determining factor?

Perry F.
01-05-2005, 20:52
Perry F wrote:

Realistically, it makes no difference to me what YOU call them. If you are willing to broadcast your ignorance to the world, then so be it. My commissions are based on the cc displacement of the motorcycle that I sell, not the terminology that some dimwit places on it. Actually, the term "Crotch Rocket" may have more letters in it than the sum total of your I.Q.

PS. If you're going to "screw that guy" as you so elequoently stated, you must make an appointment with me, I don't take walks ins anymore.
I'll make one.
Crotch Rockets,Crotch Rockets,Crotch Rockets,Crotch Rockets,Crotch Rockets,Crotch Rockets,Crotch Rockets,Crotch Rockets,Crotch Rockets,

xrated
01-06-2005, 19:09
Generally speaking, I try not to argue with idiots, as it brings you down to their level. So, with your last comment of your post Perry F,you've show me two things for sure:
1. My assumption about your I.Q. is probably correct
2. I'm done arguing with an idiot!

Clydeglide
01-14-2005, 17:29
LMAO.....Stop it guys!!!! You're killing me here..... Call 'em what you want. Talk about negative connotation....mention salesperson...

Anyway, I've ridden many Harley's for many years. I bought my wife a Suzuki Hayabusa about 2 years ago (she likes sport bikes). I liked it from the moment I rode it. Six months later mine was parked next to hers and the Hog. Three months later I blew the dust off the Harley and sold it. I've never looked back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/clydeglide/2BUSASSIDE020203.jpg

FWIW, I am 55 and my wife is.....well.....older

:cool:

gixxer11
01-14-2005, 17:58
I think the thread would be strange if it was the other way around "sold my SPORTBIKE to get a Harley". Once you get used to how nice a modern motorcycle works it's hard to spend that kind of money for something that does NOT function as well (i.e. Harley). As far as Harleys being American made, some have Nissin brakes (Japanese, subsidary of HONDA), most have Showa suspension (Japanese), Mitsubishi, Hitachi, or Nippon Denso electronics (hell, "Nippon" is the Japanese word for "Japan"). So when you do pick the bike that YOU like, don't take any crap from Harley biased people, and tell them "I had a Harley and I love the FREEDOM of riding what I like"

Rinspeed
01-14-2005, 18:22
Originally posted by gixxer11
Once you get used to how nice a modern motorcycle works it's hard to spend that kind of money for something that does NOT function as well (i.e. Harley).

I would have to agree with that statement 100%. You would think for the highway robbery prices that Harley charges the components such as brakes, suspension and motor wouldn't suck so bad. The motor in the V-Rod is a step in the right direction. Of course it took some engineers from Germany to make it a reality.

Rinspeed

gixxer11
01-14-2005, 18:39
The V-Rod motor was COMPLETELY designed by Porsche. Most of the engine components (cylinder head, crank, rods, pistons) are made and assembled in France. Harley puts they're name on it. I'm not a Harley hater, I just get sick of Harley riders giving me crap. Maybe I'll just use my G20 to settle it. Then I start a new thread "Shot a smart mouthed Harley rider cause he was an idiot". Just kidding, I want to get along with everyone on two wheels.

Clydeglide
01-14-2005, 18:49
Originally posted by Rinspeed
I would have to agree with that statement 100%. You would think for the highway robbery prices that Harley charges the components such as brakes, suspension and motor wouldn't suck so bad. The motor in the V-Rod is a step in the right direction. Of course it took some engineers from Germany to make it a reality.

Rinspeed

It depends on what you're into. I was into getting a new bike every 2 or 3 years for cheap. After the first purchase the Harley allowed me to do that. Average depreciation was <5% year....and that is based on trade allowance! Soooooooo.........

As far as the Porsche tweaked engine in a V-Rod...That's what Porsche does.......

Perry F.
01-14-2005, 19:23
Originally posted by Clydeglide
LMAO.....Stop it guys!!!! You're killing me here..... Call 'em what you want. Talk about negative connotation....mention salesperson...

Anyway, I've ridden many Harley's for many years. I bought my wife a Suzuki Hayabusa about 2 years ago (she likes sport bikes). I liked it from the moment I rode it. Six months later mine was parked next to hers and the Hog. Three months later I blew the dust off the Harley and sold it. I've never looked back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/clydeglide/2BUSASSIDE020203.jpg

Very nice, crotch rockets.:)

Rinspeed
01-14-2005, 19:27
Originally posted by gixxer11
The V-Rod motor was COMPLETELY designed by Porsche. Most of the engine components (cylinder head, crank, rods, pistons) are made and assembled in France. Harley puts they're name on it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement at all. The motor is assembled here in the states. I know this for a fact because the company I work for designed equipment that is used in the final assembly. Whether components come from France or not has nothing to do with the fact that it's a Harley motor. Porsche may has designed the motor but they didn't come up with concept or else it would be a twin turbo :)

Rinspeed
01-14-2005, 19:28
Originally posted by Perry F.
Very nice, crotch rockets.:)

Except for the headlights :)

Texas T
01-14-2005, 20:17
I really like the looks (and capabilities) of the busa, but I don't think I could get used to the bent-over-the-tank posture. It makes my back hurt just to look at it. ;)

Clydeglide
01-15-2005, 05:25
Originally posted by Texas T
I really like the looks (and capabilities) of the busa, but I don't think I could get used to the bent-over-the-tank posture. It makes my back hurt just to look at it. ;)

The Busa has probably the least aggresive riding position. Ours have Heli Bars and there is also a riser available from Gen Mar which gives you a little more upright position.

The back is never the problem. Arms and wrists are, but once the bike is set up it becomes a non-issue. My limitation is the seat, which is the best of the sport style seats. It's just me. I can't sit for more than an hour on anything.

A good friend of mine (about my age) does 800-1000 mile days on his.

Don't let your imagined concerns interfere with one of the most amazing two wheel rides out there. I came off a full dress Harley!

I was in the high line car service biz for over 20 years. I have driven Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes, BMW and more at high triple digit speeds. NOTHING is more stable at high speed than this bike.

If you ever get a chance to ride one do not pass it up. Just remember what's under you.;f

Rinspeed
01-15-2005, 08:05

People say the same thing all the time when they see my Ninja but the ride is very comfortable.

Clydeglide, I haven't tried one yet but I've heard that a sheepskin seat cover is the cat's ass for long rides. It may not look that stylish but if they really work I wouldn't care. It's not like you would have to leave it on all the time.

Rinspeed

Clydeglide
01-15-2005, 10:52
Originally posted by Rinspeed
People say the same thing all the time when they see my Ninja but the ride is very comfortable.

Clydeglide, I haven't tried one yet but I've heard that a sheepskin seat cover is the cat's ass for long rides. It may not look that stylish but if they really work I wouldn't care. It's not like you would have to leave it on all the time.

Rinspeed

airhawk (http://www.rohoinc.com/recreational/products.jsp)

xrated
01-16-2005, 09:43
Once you become acclimated to the riding position of a sport bike, it will be as comfortable or more so, for some people that a cruiser. When I was in Hawaii, in 2002, I rented a cruiser for the day to ride/sightsee. I was never so glad to get off of a motorcycle at the end of the day. The cruiser riding position had my lower back feeling like an elephant had stepped on it. I'll take the sportbike riding position anyday.

Compy
01-16-2005, 18:09
When I lived in San Jose, I had a GS450 that I learned to ride on, and a almost new Harley Night Train. One day I was out riding the Harley and pass by two groups of people. One group on cruisers, the other on sportbikes. The guys on cruisers waved at me while the guys on the sportbikes flipped me off. I thought this was rather interesting. Since I was close to home, I swung by real quick and dropped off the Harley and picked up the Suzuki. I came across the same two groups a few minutes later, and got nearly the exact opposite response, only the Harley guys didn't flip me off, they simply didn't return my wave. The sportbike guys waved.

Out here in Flagstaff, I have not had anything like this happen no matter what kind of bike the person was on. I ride a Honda 919 now and most everybody waves and returns waves.

Texas T
01-16-2005, 18:25
Originally posted by CompensateThis!
Out here in Flagstaff, I have not had anything like this happen no matter what kind of bike the person was on. I ride a Honda 919 now and most everybody waves and returns waves.

TOP TEN REASONS WHY BMW RIDERS DON'T WAVE BACK.
10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Shoulder too stiff from camping on the ground the night before.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
And the number one reason...
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back
10. - Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. - Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. - Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. - Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. - The expresso machine just finished.
5. - Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. - Was in a three-way conference call with stock broker and accessories dealer.
3. - Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. - Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. - Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on the dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
10. - Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. - Leather and studs make it too hard to raise arm.
8. - Refuses to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. - Afraid to let go of the handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. - Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. - Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. - Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by those rice-burner manufacturers.
3. - Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. - Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1 - They're jealous that after spending $20,000, they still don't own a Gold Wing.

Texas T
01-16-2005, 18:27
The Busa has probably the least aggresive riding position. Ours have Heli Bars and there is also a riser available from Gen Mar which gives you a little more upright position.
I've heard there are hard bags available for the busa to turn it into a sport-tourer but I haven't looked into it. What about the wind blast with the lower windshield as opposed to riding behind a full fairing at high speeds?

Clydeglide
01-16-2005, 19:47
I've heard there are hard bags available for the busa to turn it into a sport-tourer but I haven't looked into it. What about the wind blast with the lower windshield as opposed to riding behind a full fairing at high speeds?

Air management on the Busa is excellent. You do get wind blast off the windshield. The riding position and full helmet make it a non issue in warm weather. There are options. Zero Gravity windscreens (http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sportbikes/suzuki_sptbks/133.html)

For touring, Ventura rack (http://www.ventura-bike.co.nz/english/products/products.html) and tank bags should be sufficient.

epsylum
01-25-2005, 17:03
I saw one guy at the AMA Prostar race here in Indianapolis that had a busa with bar risers, hard bags (I beileve they were Corbin beetle bags), a Corbin seat and a large (about st1100 size) windsreen that bolted to the outside of the fairing that looked like it was made for it (not some stupid windjammer type thing). It looked like he could cruise all day on that thing.

That would be my dream tourer.