Preferred Anti-Spyware?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Anti-Spyware??

Tennessee Slim
10-28-2004, 11:28
I recently switched to XoftSpy, which seems to work well enough, but it has some operational drawbacks. What are you using, and are you satisfied with it?

Tvov
10-28-2004, 12:09
We've been using AdAware for awhile now, and it seems to work great. We had Spybot for awhile, but it consistently missed stuff that the AdAware would catch, so I deleted it. I just started using SpySweeper, and so far it seems to work well, finding everything that AdAware finds. It is interesting to run a couple different programs to see what one missed and the other finds.

Both this programs are easy to use.

NetNinja
10-28-2004, 12:38
Please read the sticky at the top of this forum. The programs they recommend perform just as well or better than paid ones.

Tennessee Slim
10-28-2004, 13:01
Originally posted by NetNinja
Please read the sticky at the top of this forum. The programs they recommend perform just as well or better than paid ones.
Dayum! You'd think I just fell off the turnip truck, wouldn't you?? ;9

fastvfr
10-28-2004, 13:10
Well, Slim, I use BOTH Spybot 1.3 and Ad-Aware.

That way, you get a Second Opinion each time you scan, and unlike antivirus apps, there is no problem with having both of these apps installed simultaneously on your PC.

Just use one first, then scan with the other; don't run both scanners at the same time!

And, yeah, there is some good reference material in the sticky!

Good luck,

FastVFR

10-28-2004, 13:28
After updating and running Spybot and Ad-aware scans, I do the free scan at http://www.pestpatrol.com - it will list explicitly whats (still) on your box, files, cookies, registry entries. Then I take a few minutes to clean it up manually.

David_G17
10-28-2004, 14:01
all of my problems went away when i installed the adware defense program called "linux".

Luke77
10-28-2004, 14:12
I use Ad-Aware SE, spybot, hijackthis, and CWShredder. That seems to cover just about everything.

hile
10-29-2004, 14:22
Originally posted by David_G17
all of my problems went away when i installed the adware defense program called "linux".

Haha.

Do one better; if you must use x86 hardware (and it's not on the Solaris HCL), use one of the BSD's so that you actually have a stable ABI. Me, I just don't use x86 hardware.

Tennessee Slim
10-30-2004, 10:18
Originally posted by hile
Haha. Do one better; if you must use x86 hardware (and it's not on the Solaris HCL), use one of the BSD's so that you actually have a stable ABI. Me, I just don't use x86 hardware.
Me, I gotta straddle the fence. I do find Windblows useful for some purposes.

A couple of years ago I was negotiating with a guy in San Antonio for his quad Ross processors for my Sparc 20. He threw in a HyperSparc 30 with 1GB of RAM and twin 9GB HDDs as boot!! I wasn't familiar with the HS30 but I bit anyway. When I got it I did some investigating and found out it sold new in 1998 for $23,000. And I got it free.

So now I have two quad-CPU SPARC boxes with a total investment of $700. Not everything resulting from the Dot-Com collapse was bad. ;)

Tennessee Slim
10-31-2004, 13:30
;g

So far I've run XoftSpy, Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware and SpyBot. Each one of them has found bitzen pieces that the other(s) missed.

Like I said. ;g

greenlead
10-31-2004, 21:19
I use linux, personally. Also, when I am running in Windows mode, I am careful what I allow on my system, it is unstable enough already. :)

hile
11-01-2004, 10:55
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
Me, I gotta straddle the fence. I do find Windblows useful for some purposes.

A couple of years ago I was negotiating with a guy in San Antonio for his quad Ross processors for my Sparc 20. He threw in a HyperSparc 30 with 1GB of RAM and twin 9GB HDDs as boot!! I wasn't familiar with the HS30 but I bit anyway. When I got it I did some investigating and found out it sold new in 1998 for $23,000. And I got it free.

So now I have two quad-CPU SPARC boxes with a total investment of $700. Not everything resulting from the Dot-Com collapse was bad. ;)

sweet!!!!! too bad those are sun4m

Tennessee Slim
11-01-2004, 11:12
Originally posted by hile
sweet!!!!! too bad those are sun4m
Truth. Now I'm Jonesing for a 64-bit SPARC box. Maybe I'll build a 'server room' around an E-3500. ;)

10 Ring Tao
11-03-2004, 15:16
AdAware, but make sure you have SE, it catches an incredible amount that 6.0 missed.

Tennessee Slim
11-03-2004, 16:30
I loaded AdAware SE Pro, updated it, ran it, then immediately after loaded and ran SpyBot. Spybot still found a hatfull of crap. :steamed:

Washington,D.C.
11-03-2004, 16:34
AdAware and Spybot find a few different things.CCleaner also finds some spyware aswell as cleaning hidden files.When I use CCleaner with Spybot, AdAware doesn't find anything so there is some overlap.CCleaner is fast.It might not get the heavy stuff or update but it's a great program.

Washington,D.C.
11-03-2004, 16:35
Did you get the Spybot updates too?

Washington,D.C.
11-03-2004, 16:42
I just installed the beta version of the next Spybot.It's an unauthorized release but it searches for the same things as the current release version.It is faster.It scans quickly.

Jlarue
11-05-2004, 14:46
Although it is not free you should check out SpyWare stormer. I have used adaware and spot bot for a long time, and decided to try a pay for use title to see if it was anymore better. I ran spybot and then adaware and then stormer. Stormer found a lot of stuff that the other 2 had missed so now I stick to just stormer.

Washington,D.C.
11-05-2004, 15:04
http://www.download.com/3302-8022_4-10297449.html http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm