Linksys NSLU2 and External HD Enclosures [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Linksys NSLU2 and External HD Enclosures

ppcrusa
10-28-2004, 16:27
Looking at getting a Linksys NSLU2 which is a NAS device.
Supposedly you hook up an External USB 2.0 HD to it and it will allow you to have NAS(Network Attached Storage).

The real question is will it talk to only USB External Drives like Seagate and Maxtor make? OR will it allow you to use such other things as an External Hard Drive Enclosure and pick your own drive to go inside?

Has anyone tried the above? I sure would be interested to know.

NGWT
10-29-2004, 22:18
I've been looking at one of these too. Looking at the requirements on the box I can't see why it wouldn't work with your own enclosure and drive.

My biggest question is whether I can get it to work with Linux, not that I use it a lot but it would be cool to do an NFS mount with the network drive.

fastvfr
10-29-2004, 23:14
There is no fundamental difference in the Coolmax USB 2.0 HDD enclosure I have my 120GB Maxtor Diamond9 in and one of the external drives purchased from Seagate or another HDD maker.

Same gear, down to the last component. So if you can save some $$$ by picking the HD and enclosure separately, by all means do so.

Takes less than 5 minutes to install the drive in the enclosure, and about 10 minutes to format a 120GB drive under USB 1.1....I'm guessing 2.0 might format a bit faster, but maybe not.

And yes, /parted sees it just fine.

Good luck,

FastVFR