Optimizing for multiple tasks? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing for multiple tasks?

ThinkOfTheChildren
10-28-2004, 19:34
I'm currently running a Pentium 4 chip, 2.4ghz, with 1 gig of RAM in Windows XP Corporate. I constantly have a ton of processes going (task manager is counting 51 as we speak) although they don't use up much of the processor's power (CPU usage is fluctuating between 3% and 5% right now). Also, only 372 megs of RAM are being used right now.

While my resources are pretty free, with all this junk running, it's natural that new processes will be slower to start up. I'm wondering if there are any tweaks I could perform to optimize my system for the kinds of use I'm putting it through.

None of the processes running are spyware or anything like that, so no need to worry about that.

Any tips?

10-28-2004, 20:31
Kill all the processes you don't need. Reference the Services Guide for XP on http://www.blackviper.com

Here's what one of my home machines is running currently with XP Pro SP2 (only have GT up) ;f

10-28-2004, 20:33
Also - here's a look at my Services list - sorted by "Status" (the ones running on top). Everything else on the list is Manual or Disabled startup.

NetNinja
10-28-2004, 20:52
Paranoia!

2 Ghz Athlon
1 Gb of Ram

I have pleny of Mem and processing power to spare. And I run a VPN and pcanywhere into several PC's at once.

Long live Seti!

ThinkOfTheChildren
10-28-2004, 20:58
I appreciate the tip, 0100010, but I can assure you that all of the processes I have running are running for a reason. I long ago killed off stuff that I don't use.

10-29-2004, 10:49
Seriously? 51 processes and all of them are needed? Wow. ;P With that much stuff resident in memory and eating cycles, about all you can do to speed things up is get faster disks; and even then whatever you open next will just have to wait its turn.

Is 51 a total example of when you are in production - or just what the machine is running after a boot?

ThinkOfTheChildren
10-29-2004, 11:43
Originally posted by 0100010
Is 51 a total example of when you are in production - or just what the machine is running after a boot?
No, no, no, not just after boot. It's when I'm running full force, which is pretty much all the time. My computer serves many roles for me. I haven't rebooted in many days, so I don't know offhand how many processes are running at startup, but I know it's a lot less than that.