any Mandolin players? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : any Mandolin players?

Bonk
10-28-2004, 23:29
Looking for suggestions on what to get in terms of a (first time for me) Mandolin - styles, makes, etc. The local music shop has been great, but a little outside input can't hurt.:)

b-dallas
11-04-2004, 07:51
I bought an Ovation mandolin - can't remember the model...the red sun-burst cut-away. Worked furiously for about 2 months to self teach (I DO play guitar). Understand the theory of it all (E-B-G-D...like n upside down guitar neck...sort of) and can make the basic chords...not much of a mando-lead player at this time...haven't played it much over last year or so, though...good luck.

frettedfive
11-09-2004, 12:25
I've been learning to play the mandolin for a while now.

Mine is a Fender FM-53S. http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0955300

It's not the best sounding mandolin in the world, but it does have a solid top and it doesn't break the bank to purchase one.
I'm perfectly happy with it, and consider it to be a fine instrument to learn on.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your playing! ;c

T. Harless
11-23-2004, 10:38
The Washburn and Kentucky F style is not a bad deal. I poked around and found a 1917 Gibson A Army/Navy model for $300. It's kind of hard to finger but it sounds great. I've seen them since for that or a little more.

Todd

Dimmak
11-24-2004, 21:51
Actually the tuning is: G-D-A-E (same as a Fiddle)

Any Fender mandolin A or F style is a great beginner mandolin. I am currently using an A style Fender to teach my son.

good luck....

Gunlawyer
12-01-2004, 08:16
Not sure if this counts but I retrofitted a new mandolin case to hold two MAC submachineguns, 6 magazines, and a silencer. So I guess not a mandolin player but the instruments in the mandolin case play loud and fast!

hapuna
12-01-2004, 11:28
Get a UKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glockerel
12-16-2004, 02:49
Been playing mando for years. I play a Summit F5 and a King Brown F4/5. Both are excellent instruments. You can get either for just under 3 g's, which is a bargain in a handmade carved top instrument.

KevlarCondom
12-17-2004, 11:03
What's the difference between A and F types? I see there are type 1 and 2 also. The type 2 is $150 more for identical looking mando's from the same manufacturer. Is there a minimum price range where even a beginner would'nt want to drop below? I found a ton of mando's by doing a Google search for affordable mandolin's.

Glockerel
12-18-2004, 15:16
Originally posted by KevlarCondom
What's the difference between A and F types? I see there are type 1 and 2 also. The type 2 is $150 more for identical looking mando's from the same manufacturer. Is there a minimum price range where even a beginner would'nt want to drop below? I found a ton of mando's by doing a Google search for affordable mandolin's.
An A shape is an oval type body while an F shape has a curl. Mandos are very subjective and like all instruments, you get what you pay for. Buy as good as you can for as little as you can. You won't get anything worth playing for under $400, and anything worth keeping for under a Grand. Good F models start at about 2500, with good A's being around 1500./
Check out www.mandolincafe.com and all of your questions will be answered.

waymore
01-12-2005, 02:47
Like guns, if you are going to play get as much as you can afford.
I really like "Webbers."