MSLinux- HOWTO run a stable enviroment in an unstable one! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MSLinux- HOWTO run a stable enviroment in an unstable one!

lomfs24
10-30-2004, 21:18
Linux on Windows???? HUH???

NGWT
10-30-2004, 22:53
MS Virtual Server.

Ought to be fun to play with.

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1644184,00.asp

David_G17
10-31-2004, 00:27
sort of reminds me of cygwin.

saber41
10-31-2004, 08:01
As the title bar says from the pic, that is Microsoft Virtual PC 2004.
It actually works pretty good. I have several flavors on linux installed on VPC on my WinXP machine.

Check it out, you can get a free 45 day trial of the software from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

10-31-2004, 16:19
Yup MS bought Connectix and then re-released Virtual PC under their own name - it works very well. I use it at work on all of the lab PCs so my agents can pull up any OS their customers have - in case they forget them.

NGWT
10-31-2004, 20:42
Anybody know if it comes with the MSDN?

metallic
10-31-2004, 21:07
Originally posted by NGWT
Anybody know if it comes with the MSDN?

I have access to it through Academic MSDN, so I would assume so.

fastvfr
10-31-2004, 23:07
Yes, but do you have the same control over diskwriting and other permissions?

Can these virual OSes be hardened from SSH and other exploits like a properly set-up Debian or Slackware install can be?

I doubt that...but until I have all the data to peruse I won't rule it out.

I'll just stick with my separate / and /home partitions for now...;)

What is the biggest advantage to this? I mean, it sounds like you are basically polluting a good Linux kernel by possibly running it in an unsecure environment full of viruses and assorted other malware, not to mention a system afloat in security holes...

Would this be a detriment to XP in any way? After all, the XP OS is fairly easy to comandeer, and an unsecured Linux kernel can be just as shaky from a security standpoint...

Though I might try setting up a virtual Smooth Wall OS to access the Web on an otherwise XP box, then route the XP's TCP connection to see the ports I have filtered but left open in SW...seems like that might be a good use for this sort of thing.

Until then I'll stick to my standalone SW firewall.

Thanks in advance,

FastVFR, The Skeptical Kernelhacker

lomfs24
11-01-2004, 08:28
fastfvr, you raise some good questions. However, I thought it was kinda cool, unique etc... Other than what one poster said about running several OS's for tech support so that tech could see what the customer is seeing, I cannot think of a single real world application that you would need it or want it.

Why would I take a machine, load windows on it, and then run a virtual PC with Linux. I can't think of a real world application for it. Other than for brief testing etc...

Just kinda fun for me to play with.

11-01-2004, 09:37
Yes - full version is available through MSDN.