Win XP HE +SP2 Firewall?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Win XP HE +SP2 Firewall??

Gecko10
10-31-2004, 04:44
I just installed SP2 and have the firewall set to on. Everything seems to be working well, but have a question since I've never had a firewall before.

When I want to download updates to programs, such as new Norton A-V and Ad-Aware definitions will I have to add those programs to the Exceptions list?

I don't have a clue!

Firewall>Exceptions Tab.

fastvfr
10-31-2004, 23:30
Well, with some software firewalls you do, and with some ya don't.

Try it, and if it blocks the attempt, then Allow it.

It also depends on the level you set Zone Alarm or Black Ice ect. to as to whether they will block everything.

I use Smooth Wall and a hardware NAT to do my filtering and port blocking, and I have not installed XP SP2 on any of my personal PC's, but I did put AVG into a new install the other day, then did the SP2 update and the updates came into AVG with no problems, and did not enter the Exceptions list.

And that is something that Sygate, Zone Alarm and Kaspersky AH do not allow by default, typically. They all want confirmation. So just click to Remember This and approve it, and you are golden.

I'm guessing SP2's firewall isn't for ****, from what I have heard lately...just like SP1's version, it blocks things like M$Blaster but little else. And it apparently blocks VERY LITTLE OUTBOUND TRAFFIC.

Come to think about it, I think I'll try busting it just for fun, to see how much it can stand before crumbling before me. ;f

Good luck,

FastVFR