Service Pack 2 successfully downloaded. Now unable to access some hyperlinks. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Service Pack 2 successfully downloaded. Now unable to access some hyperlinks.

Timberwolf
11-01-2004, 00:04
I downloaded SP2 just fine and two minor issues cropped up. I can live with the first issue, but the second issue is undesired:

1. I’ve lost the ability to left click on a hyperlink in Word and jump to the destination. I must right click and choose the “Open Hyperlink” option to get to the destination.

2. I can no longer access some javascript on some Web sites. Example: on the CNN Web site, they always have their little “QUICKVOTE” poll located in the lower right corner of their homepage. There is a hyperlink “VIEW RESULTS” in that frame. I used to be able to left click that hyperlink and see the results of the poll. Now, left clicking does nothing. Right clicking and choosing the “Open in New Window” option displays the standard “The page cannot be displayed” error message.

Any suggestions to resolve the latter issue would be much appreciated.

HerrGlock
11-01-2004, 05:56
SP2 put some security things into WIN. It also turned on some of the features that you may have either never touched or turned off.

You need to enable java and javascript in IE. I would leave ActiveX and Active Scripting off, though.

DanH

Timberwolf
11-01-2004, 11:20
DanH,

I tried lowering my Java permissions to the lowest safety, but it still didn't work (I already had my ActiveX and Active Scripting disabled).

I appreciate your suggestion, though.

MikeG22
11-02-2004, 15:35
Install firefox and be happy you have a better browser. It actually renders things properly (looks like IE) and is more secure. You get tabbed browsing which is great too. Definitly worth the switch.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/index.html

Timberwolf
11-02-2004, 15:47
Thanks, Mike.

I uninstalled SP2 and got back to where I was. I've considered firefox and will take another look at it. ;c

Jlarue
11-05-2004, 14:48
In sp2 you may need to tweak the firewall that Windows installs as part of sp2, this may in fact solve the problem. Of course I also always suggest firefox over IE it's just a better browser.