MP3 Player Advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Player Advice

D-DAY
11-01-2004, 22:15
Guys, I am lost in an endless maze here. I have been wanting to get an MP3 player <$300. I am leaning toward a flash based player, maybe an i-River iFP-799 1-Gig. I would like something relatively small, say no larger than an i-Pod mini (I only have about 300 songs). Problem is I am wondering how complicated it is to convert many of my music files to appropriate files for any MP3 player. I have downloaded songs a while back from places like Ares and also put most of my CD collection on my computer (Musicmatch).

I guess what I need is a good place to download music, then a good music manager program, that is compatible with my MP3 player???

My choices :

I-Pod mini
i-river i-FP-799
any other suggestions?

Also, Can i-tunes be strictly used as a music manager, and if so is there a fee?

Thanks,

D-DAY

hypoluxo
11-01-2004, 22:46
Hi D-Day,

Being a Mac guy, I can only speak to the iPod/iTunes combination. iTunes is a free download from the Apple site and works on both Macs and PCs. It is a pretty good music management system and integrates nicely with the iTunes music service. It allows you to catagorize your music and set up numerous playlists that can be exported to your iPod.

I have never used a flash-based player, but I have 2 iPods. They are absolutely marvelous and have loads of accessories available for them. There are several internet forums dedicated to them, one of the best being ipodlounge.com (http://www.ipodlounge.com/).

Hope this helps.

Furant
11-02-2004, 13:09
iTunes can be a good music manager even without an iPod and as hypoluxo mentioned, it's integration with the iTunes music store is pretty intuitive.

However, I hate that iTunes installed Quick Time and background services and tries to wrestle control of all of my music files from any other apps.

By far the best music manager I have tried (and I've tried at least a dozen) is MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com). It's a more powerful and customizable database than iTunes. Most of the functionality is free, but for ~$20 you get support for VB scripting, customizable playlists, file monitor to keep the database up-to-date with what's on your hard drive.

It has a great ability to synchronize your music with portable devices that are recognized as a mass storage device. iRiver is included in that - iPod is not, although iPod support is forthcoming. They also have a great forum for technical support and feature requests.

Not affiliated, just a very satisfied user.

Joey

MikeG22
11-02-2004, 14:34
Well for flash based I'm really happy with my Rio Chiba 256. Very small, has an FM tuner, and a SD expansion slot. I bought a 512mb sd card for 30 bucks and now have 768mb total space. The next week I saw 1gig SD cards for 49 bucks. Oh, and the player was only like $130 so for 300 you could get that and many spare gigs of storage. Here is a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AQIFX/ref=dp_ln_ed_1/002-1011662-9296839?v=glance&s=electronics&vi=reviews&me=A3T4TT2Z381HKD