Scratchy Stereo Tuning [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scratchy Stereo Tuning

Glockerel
11-02-2004, 09:44
I've got an old Sony in my garage. It works fine,mostly, except that when I turn the tuning dial, it scratches like crazy.
Anyone got any good ideas how to clean this up?
Many thanks!

Riverweasel
11-02-2004, 09:52
Unplug radio, Remove nob, spray contact cleaner at point where nob turns. don't worry, it dries 99.9%. You should be able to find contact cleaner at radio shack or other like store.

Glockerel
11-03-2004, 03:42
Thank you sir!

Thirties
11-03-2004, 07:56
What do you do when "contact cleaner" spray doesn't really do the job? I've used the stuff, and it works, but only temporarily.

Wulfenite
11-04-2004, 08:10
I had a radio that did that except with the volume control. The contact spray worked temporarily. Ended up junking it.

Washington,D.C.
11-06-2004, 11:06
TV tuner contact cleaner works fairly well.You might have to use it a few times to flush out all of the dirt.

Thirties
11-06-2004, 13:21
Yeah, mine is the volume knob on a radio. Don't know why I haven't kunked it yet!

fastvfr
11-06-2004, 15:51
Got a soldering iron/gun?!

Just pop the pot out and take it to Radio Shack, and get a replacement.

A potentiometer is just a couple of tapered tracks of carbon and a brush mounted on a spindle that the knob attaches to. And there aren't osusally more than three or four mounting points, so if your soldering skills are a little rusty, you shouldn't have too much difficulty.

And if you screw up somehow, hey, it was already busted, right?!

I can't count the number of electronic devices I have rescued from an early grave just because I swapped out a capacitor or two, or a resistor, rectifier or potentiometer, giving it a new lease on life.

My current project is a SKT 'A' Chaintec MOBO that had its largest caps fizzle; they were from that infamous batch of 'pirated' caps which used an incomplete electrolyte recipe in their construction, causing them to overexpand and plop black poop on the MOBO in short order.

Well, a quick visit to mouser (www.mouser.com/) got me the two higher-quality 4.7mfd 12v 105C capacitors I needed, and once I receive them, this burnt-out old MOBO I got from a client I did a complete replacement system for (I got the mainboard, along with the case, the PSU, vid card, SB Live! sound card, 4-port USB PCI card, Rockwell modem, 512MB PC133 SDRAM and an AMD Athlon 1800+ for $20; they were just going to take it to the dump) will be riding high again in a rig I can sell for $400 or more!

Not too bad for $20.80 worth of parts, actually...

Good luck,

FastVFR