So there I was building a PC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So there I was building a PC

whiskey_moodz
11-02-2004, 15:20
Okay I have done this before so this isn’t my first time on the dance floor. I am trying to build this pc machine for my sister. She has given me all the parts and I am slowly installing them in a case. I have a

SY-K7ADA v1.0 motherboard.

A Athlon 1800 chip w/ cpu fan

A stick of 256 pc2100 ddr ram

A nVidia GeForce4 MX 440se / 64MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / Video Card

So far this all I have installed. I usually at this point I power up just to make sure everything is running well.

Well all 5 fans spin..The (2) 80 mm …the motherboard fan… and the cpu fan .. video card fan

All the lights come on at power up but the monitor stays in standby But I get no beeps from the case speaker.

Can someone out there give me few ideas to double check before I throw this thing out the window?

Whiskey Moodz

MikeG22
11-02-2004, 15:31
Not sure on the MB but does it have onboard video as well? You might need to hook the monitor to that to get in bios and disable the onboard/tell it to use the AGP video card. Also, some newer video cards need an additional power connector plugged into it from the power supply, double check that. You might want to also check all power on the motherboard and that the ram and cpu are seated properly. Um, otherwise make sure you put the little connectors for the lights, speaker and power button on the propper way.

whiskey_moodz
11-02-2004, 15:56
Thanks for the fast reply.
The MB has only a audio out on it.

I am not sure if I do have everything hooked right, I mean I can power on,. Restart,. power light comes on also. The only thing that I know that isn’t hooked up is the line in connectors/jumps from the case to the motherboard
Not really sure where the pins go on this MB

R-out (purple)
R-In (yellow)
Gnd (black)
Mic-in (green)

L-out (blue)
L-in (red)
Gnd (black)
Mic-in (orange)

He video card doesn’t need and external power source but I do know it is running cause the fan on the card is running. I hope that this can help you help me… I am going to try and reset the memory chip… and the cpu…..

Whiskey Moodz

weiser09
11-02-2004, 17:06
Check you memory. I had the same problem a while ago. I removed, then re-inserted the memory. Started up fine after that. YMMV ^c

PurchGuru
11-02-2004, 20:00
You might also want to check the Mbd to see if you can reset the BIOS. I have known some manufacturer's boards to get hung and you have to reload the base BIOS to clear it up (using the reset jumper).

fastvfr
11-02-2004, 21:30
Ditto that BIOS issue. If clearing the BIOS via the CMOS jumper doesn't seem to be helping, I guarantee that pulling the battery from the MOBO, unplugging the PSU, hitting the power button a few times, and waiting a few hours before putting the battery back in WILL do the trick!

BTW, you don't have a hard drive yet; maybe the BIOS is doing an IDE check and stalling when it gets to that point. Failsafe settings ought to fix that; if not, try adding an old HDD to the mix to see if that helps.

Is this a known-good video card? I know you said the fan is spinning...but does it work in a different machine?

Last but not least, did you remove and fully reinstall every last slotted component? The last time this happened to me, I pulled the Radeon 9800XT out and pushed it back in and restarted....and that PC ran solid as a rock.

If these things don't get you going, I'd suspect a faulty MOBO or CPU. RAM or video will generally get you some beeps if they are FUBAR; by the way, I'm sure there is a DLable user's manual for that MOBO somewhere....so you can get the speakers up, at least. Truth is, I almost never hook the jacks on the case up, as I never use them. Only for customers do I take the time to do that.

As long as the MOBO speaker is properly connected, these are the only issues that are likely.

Good luck,

FastVFR

SamBuca
11-02-2004, 21:49
Forgive me if I repeat something already said.

1) Find your CMOS reset jumper and make sure it's not in the reset position. A lot of new motherboards come jumped to reset.

2) Make sure your CPU jumpers are set to the right clock speed...if you have memory jumpers, check them.

3) Reseat the CPU and be sure the heatsink is on correctly. 3 seconds with an incorrectly seated heatsink will cook it.

4) Remove all the PCI cards (except for video if it's not on board). Reseat the video card.

5) Remove the memory and use a stick of memory that you know works.

6) Check the direction of your cables..pin 1 goes with the red stripe.

This sounds like a memory stick issue.

Bronson7
11-03-2004, 08:10
Maybe a silly question as I'm a noobe at building computers, but why didn't you install any drives?
Bronson7

10 Ring Tao
11-03-2004, 15:06
Originally posted by PurchGuru
You might also want to check the Mbd to see if you can reset the BIOS. I have known some manufacturer's boards to get hung and you have to reload the base BIOS to clear it up (using the reset jumper).

Like some have mentioned, make sure the reset jumper is in the right spot. I toiled for hours building my first one a few years ago because the MB came with the jumper in reset position, and not 'boot up like normal dammit' position.

whiskey_moodz
11-03-2004, 15:21
I have a feeling that the video card maybe a bit much for the older motherboard. I am trying to find a newer motherboard to be more compatible for the motherboard..

I am not really sure how to reset the jumpers I most deal with newer boards but since this one is used I guess I would have to look up how to reset them

Bronson7 the reason why is cause you want to make sure the items hat you have in there so far are working together. You do now want to put all your items in your machine to find out that something is not working. You want to put in your video card, memory, fans, cpu chip just to make sure everything is doing good together…

Whiskey Moodz

Bronson7
11-03-2004, 15:32
Got it. Thanks Whiskey.
Bronson7

David_G17
11-05-2004, 15:42
Originally posted by whiskey_moodz
I am not really sure how to reset the jumpers I most deal with newer boards but since this one is used I guess I would have to look up how to reset them

you need a diagram of that specific motherboard (user manual?)

google the manufacturer and model.

IndyGunFreak
11-05-2004, 19:15
You know, I must be lucky.

I've built SEVERAL PC's.., and have never had even a quirky hardware conflict. Usually, when building one. I install everything to install an O/S.

M/B, CPU, HD, Video card, Memory.
Install O/S. Shut down after completing installation
Install Sound Card, Restart, Test.
Install Modem/other card, Restart, Test.
Close case when all is well.

Biggest problem I ever had was one I just built last christmas, turned out the hard drive I was using was bad. :) Didn't take to long to figure it out. Windows would get halfway through installing, then lock up.

Best wishes
IGF