White Lightning [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : White Lightning

SMBeerDealer
11-02-2004, 20:32
Has anybody tried using White Lightning Teflon Based lubricant for your firearms? I use it to lube some parts on my bike and it's very dirt resistant so I was wondering if it's advisable to use on guns since it doesn't drip out as well. Dries up like a slippery film.

Thanks guys. :)

jasonub
11-02-2004, 21:33
its just lube, you can use anything that will do its job, some like synthetic. teflon based like break free, some like moly based, its just lube and will work on any pistol

me i use fp10 since they say its the best. i also used to use break free, militec, slide glide, mobil 1, fuchs fully syntetic, guntec, etc etc etc. all seem to do the job well.

good luck with your choice.

me its slide glide on rails, hammer sear surface, main spring housing, guide rod, and barrel surfaces on my svi competition pistol.

for pins, disconnector, m16 its fp10

SMBeerDealer
11-03-2004, 23:11
Thanks jasonub. Currently using Helix fully synthetic. Will experiment on the other stuff as well.

paltik45
11-04-2004, 18:59
Sir SMB try Superlube synthetic grease. Super lagkit sir at hindi kumakayat kahit mainit na ang baril mo kakaputok. It is clear like petroleum jelly kaya less messy.;)

batangueno
11-04-2004, 19:37
I've tried militec grease then recently sinubukan ko yung slide glide. Ang laki ng difference, ang dulas talaga nung slide glide.

mc_oliver
11-04-2004, 19:45
Originally posted by batangueno
I've tried militec grease then recently sinubukan ko yung slide glide. Ang laki ng difference, ang dulas talaga nung slide glide.
Feeling mo sumikip yung Para mo without the binding no? ;)

FAlvar
11-05-2004, 10:16
White Lightning?;P

That stuff leaves too much of a deposit. I use it on my mtn bike chain ONLY when I do use it. It cakes on all the links. I certainly wouldn't want it in a gun barrel.

Besides,it doesn't stay on as long as regular lubes.

batangueno
11-06-2004, 04:09
Alam mo kung bike related na lube ang gusto mo puede yung Prolink Lube na ginagamit sa chains. Parang pareho lang ng Militec.

LexaDoig
11-07-2004, 02:08
AFAIK "dry" lubes generally don't work except in certain applications. THese lubes become displaced into uselessness. For my bike chain I wash it with diesel spiked with motor oil.

paltik45
11-07-2004, 09:53
For bike lube sa SUPERLUBE pa rin ako and I used to get it at Cristy's sa Cartimar.;f

FAlvar
11-07-2004, 12:46
Dry lubes have the advantage in environments that I mtn bike in. I go out in chaparral or desert trails where it's really dusty. Wet lubes gum up the works pretty good there.

Oh now I remember. White Lightning is paraffin based. It looks like dried candle wax after I apply it.

SMBeerDealer
11-07-2004, 22:18
Thanks for your inputs guys.

Falvar, I wanted to use white lightning just to keep the dirt/dust off my gun. Seems like it's really not advisable. Don't use it on my chain anymore as it doesn't seem to penetrate the links very well. Chain sounds like it lacks lube when I use it.

Paltik45, I'll drop by Cristy's one of these days baka meron pa.

Lexadoig, thanks for the tip.

Batangueno, try ko rin yun pero sa experience ko chain lubes generally attract dirt. San meron nung Slide Glide and how much?

Again, thanks for all the tips guys. ;f

batangueno
11-07-2004, 23:43
Originally posted by SMBeerDealer
Batangueno, try ko rin yun pero sa experience ko chain lubes generally attract dirt. San meron nung Slide Glide and how much?
Slide Glide is available from Brian Enos HERE (http://www.brianenos.com/store/slide-glide.html).

SMBeerDealer
11-10-2004, 23:25
Thanks for the link Batangueno. Which viscosity would you recommend?

batangueno
11-11-2004, 01:00
Originally posted by SMBeerDealer
Thanks for the link Batangueno. Which viscosity would you recommend? Slide Glide 3, if you need to thin it out then just add some oil before applying to your gun. I got this tip from McO. :)

LexaDoig
11-11-2004, 05:23
Slide-glide seems to be nothing but ordinary tackified grease like Shell Retinax HD3 for example...

Eye Cutter
07-16-2005, 05:47
i've been using white lightning to dry lube my magazines and follower for a while and they work very well. i also tumble the bullets in a towel with white lightning to make them slippery.

i've also tried pledge furniture polish to clean my ammo. works well, too

jasonub
07-16-2005, 06:00
I use militec for slide glide

HERE (http://www.militec-1.com/)

atmarcella
07-17-2005, 09:11
is there a store here in the philippines selling slide glide?

9MX
07-17-2005, 09:20
Originally posted by atmarcella
is there a store here in the philippines selling slide glide?

none dude. go for the free militec. it is just as good, and its free.

another alternative is the excess unused motor oil that you get after a 5K tune up and change oil of your car. if its good enough for our car engines, it should be ok for our guns

atmarcella
07-17-2005, 09:26
thanks mannix;f

isuzu
07-17-2005, 13:38
Originally posted by 9MX
none dude. go for the free militec. it is just as good, and its free.

another alternative is the excess unused motor oil that you get after a 5K tune up and change oil of your car. if its good enough for our car engines, it should be ok for our guns

I used to buy exotic (read: expensive) lubes for my pistols, but not anymore. I bought a liter of Mobil 1 5W30 and it lasted me a long, long time. And since the basic properties of engine oil are: 1) reduce friction, 2) remove deposits, 3) lower temperature, and 4) prevent corrosion, then, engine oil would work fine for your gun.

Some exotic lubes give lots of explanation about how their product penetrate several microns of steel, but I think it's just a marketing ploy. For instance, before these exotic lubes came out(and before we discovered the use of engine oil on guns), it was just WD-40 on the market. And we were contented with it.

What I do with engine oil is put some on a cotton bud (to prevent over lubrication, which is also bad), and apply it on contact areas of the gun.