MP3 for the car? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MP3 for the car?

eisman
11-02-2004, 21:55
I was thinking about upgrading my CD player this year, then started wondering why I can't seem to find an Ipod type stereo for my vehicle. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

I have about 300 CD's, which I am slowly converting to electronic files on my computer. Why can't I just put all this on one system in the car, and set it on random play? I'd never turn on the radio again.

Seriously, I'd like to get rid of the in dash stuff. It's factory, and adiquate, but weighs a lot, and is limited by todays standards.

Help?

Jtemple
11-02-2004, 22:44
What I did was buy a MP3 capable in dash CD player. I can fit roughly 450-500 CDs worth (I'd guess 6,000 - 7,000 songs) of music on 20 CD-Rs. I put them in two of those sun-visor cd holder things.

It's the next best thing to having your entire collection without changing discs, and you can get a decent MP3 capable head unit for around $200.

The added bonus is that you just have $0.10 CDrs in your car. They aren't worth stealing, and it doesn't matter if they get scratched or sun damage.

fastvfr
11-02-2004, 23:23
What about those FM transmitters for CD players? You know, the ones that you can plug into a Diskman and pick up on your car radio's FM dial in an unused slot?

They aren't too spendy, and all you need is a lighter and a 1/8" stereo jack, both easy to find in a car with an iPod handy!

That's what I recommended for my neighbors who have an old Ford with just Factory AM/FM going on....they were about to spend $250 for a CD head unit, and had to leave the speakers alone because of budget constraints. That would have just sucked moose nozzle, IMHO....

Well, FastVFR to the RESCUE!! I got them a pair of 12" subs for the trunk and a preamp to the two dash tweets, the two in-door 2-ways and the two 3-way rear deck speaks.

Then I got 'em a 200w sub amp and a set of powered crossovers for the bass bin we built into the back deck of the trunk with about $15 worth of plywood and carpet. Slapped the 12's in and DAMN, what a difference.

FANTASTIC sound, especially compared to what they started with (there are local shop-jobs that cost 5X what this did ($300) that don't sound this good), and they just take their mp3 player inside wherever they go.

And best of all, it'll even transfer to their other car without hassles. And they are saving for speaks for that car as I type this!!;)

I have created a monster.

Best regards,

FastVFR

greenlead
11-03-2004, 00:15
Put a laptop in the car?

10 Ring Tao
11-03-2004, 16:14
Originally posted by greenlead
Put a laptop in the car?

Either that, or get one of those little things that plugs into the headphone jack on an ipod type mp3 player. It takes the output and beams it to your existing FM in dash stereo.

A buddy got an old laptop for like $75, and the only thing it has installed is winamp to play mp3s and a network card to get the mp3s on there.

For me, the Ford factory installed indash mp3 player is great. On a single disk I can cram about 150 songs, which is a crazy amount of music. It was a standard option, no extra cost.

Nephilim
11-05-2004, 22:29
First question:

Why shop for an "ipod like stereo", when you can always get an iPod? Its small enough for the car, the house, and for carrying around?

You can get an iPod that'll hold 10,000+ songs for $399.

If you want a high volume storage solution for the car (and that can be docked with your home stereo) you should look into one of these: Neo Car JukeBox (http://ssiamerica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1NCJ120GigUSB&Category_Code=CMP) , for the same cost as the above Ipod (although, minus the portability) you get an in-car solution that will hold 35,000 songs.

I've got an iPod mini. It holds about 1000 songs, its barely bigger than a stack of maybe 10 credit cards, and costs $250. I got mine for free, so I can't say much about the cost effectiveness of the whole gig :)

najaboy
11-08-2004, 11:10
Stay away from FM transmitters/modulators, IMO. Sound quality just isn't there when compared to a hardwired solution.

A workable solution, especially if you already have an ipod, is the Neo-Ion. Check http://www.mp3yourcar.com/.

lomfs24
11-09-2004, 12:27
Originally posted by Jtemple
What I did was buy a MP3 capable in dash CD player. I can fit roughly 450-500 CDs worth (I'd guess 6,000 - 7,000 songs) of music on 20 CD-Rs. I put them in two of those sun-visor cd holder things.

It's the next best thing to having your entire collection without changing discs, and you can get a decent MP3 capable head unit for around $200.

The added bonus is that you just have $0.10 CDrs in your car. They aren't worth stealing, and it doesn't matter if they get scratched or sun damage.

That's what I did. I got a Rockford Fosgate in dash stero that plays MP3's.