How to determine running app in Win98? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to determine running app in Win98?

Tennessee Slim
11-03-2004, 13:10
I was working on a buddyís PC last night and he canít get either defrag to scandisk to run to completion. Either app always hits ďdisk contents have changedĒ around 10% and restarts. The PC is (no kidding) a generic P166, Win98-A. I happened to have four 32MB sticks of 72-pin RAM in my museum, which I donated to his cause. Donít laugh, it actually isnít nearly as doggy as the numbers might lead you to believe.

Iíve not worked with í98 in several years (Allah be praised!) and, with no Task Manager, I canít figure how to isolate the app causing the restarts. I thought to boot it in safe mode and try defragging it but thereís something quirky with this PC; I can hit F5 or F8 or hold {Ctrl} while it boots and it doesnít have any effect. And when I reboot in DOS mode, it doesnít respond to the keyboard.

The guy is a low-level user who doesnít have a clue how long this has been going on. I donít think heís installed anything of late except SpyBot. Best I can determine heís not set it to run in the background but I wonder if SpyBot doesnít by default have a little sumpin-sumpin going on thatís triggering the restarts. He obviously has a number of problems going on but all Iím interested in at the moment is figuring out whatís interrupting his disk maintenance utilities.

Any ideas?

Washington,D.C.
11-03-2004, 13:42
The MS clean up utility in Win 98 does not work.There is a bug and it was never fixed.CCleaner is the easiest and best I have found.Install and run it first.Use the defaults. http://www.ccleaner.com

fastvfr
11-04-2004, 01:29
You will need to reboot it into Safe Mode in order to run Defrag on the HDD.

WinMe is the worst violator of this, with its Beta version System Restore running, but all W9x versions have some things running in the background that write to the disk and cause your defrags to crap out.

Just F8 on bootup and try it from there.

And as far as ScanDisk goes, I NEVER run that from Windows! Always use a boot disk and give the DOS command scandisk\surface\autofix. This keeps Winders from fiddlin' with it while it does its thing.

This could be a sign that the HDD is on its way out, if the scan & defrag don't complete in the manner I have described.

Good luck,

FastVFR

Tennessee Slim
11-04-2004, 08:14
Originally posted by fastvfr
You will need to reboot it into Safe Mode in order to run Defrag on the HDD....
Would that I could.

Good luck,

FastVFR
Thanks, I definitely need it. I think I'll tell him the only way to fix it is burn this one down and build a new one.