Big Blue pushes the envelope ...again [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Big Blue pushes the envelope ...again


Tennessee Slim
11-05-2004, 15:20
IBM smashes supercomputing record

17:57 05 November 04

NewScientist.com news service


A complex supercomputer being constructed for the US government has demonstrated double the power of the long-reigning supercomputing champion, despite being only partially built.

IBM's BlueGene/L achieved a record-breaking performance of 70.72 teraflops, announced Spencer Abraham, US energy secretary, on Thursday.

A single teraflop is one million million floating-point operations - or intensive mathematical calculations - per second, and is about 100 times faster than the most powerful desktop computers.

The new speed by BlueGene/L is precisely twice as fast as the computer officially ranked the world's fastest - NEC's Earth Simulator, based at Yokohama, Japan.

BlueGene/L has been developed in cooperation with the US department of energy's National Nuclear Security Administration and is being constructed at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, California.


Chart success

The official list of the 500 most powerful supercomputers in the world will be revealed at the Supercomputing Conference 2004 (SC2004), in Pittsburgh on Monday.

The Earth Simulator currently occupies the number one spot with a peak performance of 35.86 teraflops. But now BlueGene/L seems destined to storm straight to the top of the chart.

Known as the TOP500, the list is compiled by a handful of supercomputing experts using an industry standard software benchmark called LINPACK. It is published twice a year.

NEC's grip on the top spot has seemed increasingly precarious as several companies have claimed to possess the world's fastest computer in recent months.

Extracted from here (http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996631).

David_G17
11-05-2004, 19:27
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim

IBM's BlueGene/L achieved a record-breaking performance of 70.72 teraflops, ...

man, that thing could probably be pretty good at cracking encryption. ;R

Texas T
11-05-2004, 19:41
Originally posted by David_G17
man, that thing could probably be pretty good at cracking encryption. ;R

Ya think?...

A complex supercomputer being constructed for the US government

;f

Deathwind
11-05-2004, 21:26
Do you honestly believe we'd ever hear anything about the machine if it were being used for cyptanalysis?

This is being built for the Department of Energy (not the NSA), and just like the supercomputers delivered before it (i.e. ASCI White), it's going to spend most of it's time simulating nuclear weapons for testing and stability.

chevrofreak
11-05-2004, 22:50
nooooooooooooooo, its the first prototype of the real "Matrix"

Tvov
11-06-2004, 07:19
Maybe it will be able to play "Halo" without locking up!

David_G17
11-06-2004, 14:24
Originally posted by Tvov
Maybe it will be able to play "Halo" without locking up!

i thought it was being built for Longhorn.


;f

Tvov
11-06-2004, 16:52
Longhorn, interesting. From what I just read very quickly, it is basically going to be the new Windows OS?

David_G17
11-08-2004, 01:42
Originally posted by Tvov
Longhorn, interesting. From what I just read very quickly, it is basically going to be the new Windows OS?

yep.

gwalchmai
11-08-2004, 11:33
I wonder how many concurrent Solitair sessions the DOE can run on that thing.

David_G17
11-08-2004, 14:40
Originally posted by gwalchmai
I wonder how many concurrent Solitair sessions the DOE can run on that thing.

they might not release the results, but i'm sure they'll find out.

CranialCrusader
11-08-2004, 16:07
Tin hat

I always wonder if the computer guys working for the US DOD laugh at these public computing lists. They could be working on stuff much much faster, but we don't know about it because it is classified.

/Tin hat

CranialCrusader

lomfs24
11-08-2004, 19:10
Originally posted by gwalchmai
I wonder how many concurrent Solitair sessions the DOE can run on that thing.

The problem is it would be so fast that you would never see the cards bounce off the screen. It would just redeal and you would never know if you won or not.
;f

gwalchmai
11-08-2004, 21:46
Originally posted by CranialCrusader
Tin hat

I always wonder if the computer guys working for the US DOD laugh at these public computing lists. They could be working on stuff much much faster, but we don't know about it because it is classified.

/Tin hat

CranialCrusader Worse yet, the entire internet is just a big AI simulation. WORSE YET - THE BIG ROOM IS JUST A BIG AI SIMULATION!

greenlead
11-08-2004, 22:47
Anyone game for Half-Life 2 on that thing?

David_G17
11-09-2004, 12:30
Originally posted by gwalchmai
Worse yet, the entire internet is just a big AI simulation. WORSE YET - THE BIG ROOM IS JUST A BIG AI SIMULATION!

the Matrix has you, gwalchmai, the Matrix has you...