What kind of gloves.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What kind of gloves....

Burncycle
11-05-2004, 16:07
Do you use for first aid?

I'm putting together a pocket FAK, and I'm looking for something resistant to bloodborne problems (virii, etc)

I bought some vinyl gloves as an alternative to latex, but from what I understand they're prone to not working very well.

I just got a box of Safeskin nitrile gloves (purple for some reason) and it boasts better chemical protection, but I'm not sure that automatically implies better for first aid. There seems to be quite a few choices out there...

glockster96
11-05-2004, 16:27
We also use some brand of purple nitrile gloves. Not bad, but not as comfy as good old latex. :)

TerraMedicX
11-05-2004, 17:20
A good quality nitril glove is just as flexable, comfortable and effective as latex. I HAVE to wear nitril 'cause my years of wearing latex brought forth a latex allergy that is more anoying than anything else, but not something I want to worry about. The nitrils you bought should serve you well, don't worry about them!

Nate.

groverglock
11-05-2004, 19:41
Spend the few extra cents and get Nitrile gloves.

Nitrile is six times more puncture resistant than latex.

Nitrile retains its barrier effectiveness to bloodborne and urine born pathogens far longer than latex. Latex looses 1/2 of its effectiveness after thirty minutes from he water molecules permiating the pores in the latex.

Nitrile is not affected by hydrocarbons or polar solvents.

Nitrile is the way to go for gloves. Stay away from latex. The alergy problem is not worth the exposure.

Yes, I have developed a latex allergy. It is no fun. Latex is in many things in our world today.

Alpha752
11-06-2004, 10:29
Another vote for Nitrile. I seem to build allergies quickly, and dont want to build a latex one, so I started wearing nitrile. They work great, and come in cool colors. (if that matters. I prefer blue)

Burncycle
11-07-2004, 18:07
Thanks for the comments, I think I'll be getting nitrile from now on