Router Issues/WiFi [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Router Issues/WiFi

Stephen
11-05-2004, 22:39
Just a couple of weeks ago I jumped on the WiFi bandwidth wagon and really enjoy the whole experience with my laptop. My desktop is still directly connected to the router.

Here's the deal: I bought a "Brown Box" Netgear router (WGT624) from Fry's. The first week was bliss.

The second week has seen nothing short of 8 resets. Why am I having to reset the bloody router daily/multiple times a day?

I have dispatched an email to the Netgear support staff to see what light (if any) can be shed on this.

TIA for your thoughts or opinions.

Halo
11-05-2004, 23:51
What is the nature of the problem? Your client machines are losing connection to the WLAN, or the router can't get to the Internet, etc?

Have you checked the Netgear support site? It's possible that there is a firmware upgrade available.

Stephen
11-06-2004, 09:05
The router is just not working properly. I have to reset the unit daily. There is no connectivity to the I-net or anything. Just as a test I have taken the router out of the 'loop' and run right off of my modem and it's just fine.

I have checked the site and I have the latest version of the firmware.

I think the router is skunky.

11-06-2004, 12:20
....I bought a [insert product here] from Fry's....

That's most likely the problem right there. Return it, buy a NIB router from a more reputable retailer.

Clyde
11-06-2004, 14:36
Can you ping the AP from the desktop? Are you using Encription - does it fail w/o encription. (test encrip at lower rate)
Also are you running a VPN?

Stephen
11-07-2004, 00:52
OK I traded in my Netgear WiFi router for the new Belkin F5D8230-4 WiFi router with the 802.11 (pre-N) technology. This router is rated to have the best range, best speed, etc. So far it's doing very well!

I am running my Netgear 108Mbps card (the WG511T). I'm not sure if I am going to jump up to the new Pre-N card for my laptop just yet.

I did buy this at Fry's - NEW in a sealed box. Typically I do buy stuff at Fry's and have never had a bad experience at all... FWIW.