free trial registry cleaner = installed spyware [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : free trial registry cleaner = installed spyware

RBR
11-06-2004, 10:25
I made the bonehead mistake of installing a trial version from a window that popped up on my PC. Installed it and naturally it can't do much. Identifies a lot of problems but need to pay for full-version to take care of it.

Plus it installed some type of spyware (webrebates.exe)that I haven't been able to completely rip off my PC. Still getting pop-ups frequently since this was installed.

If you get a pop-up for a free registry cleaner DO NOT TRY IT!

fastvfr
11-06-2004, 14:33
A VERY good rule is, never click on a Spam or a Popup; you are just encouraging them.

Another good bit of advice is to always do a Google search for issues people have had with that software, no matter what it is.

Games. Demos. Service Packs. Drivers. Apps. OSes. Components. Peripherals. Movies. CD's. Phones. Cars.

Doesn't matter what it is, really; if it might cause problems, or if you will miss the $$$, be sure you research your consumer goods before you purchase/install them to learn if others got burned by them. You WILL avoid a lot of bad experiences this way, just by letting other people make the mistakes for you!

BTW, Hijack This! might help, esp. if this POS installed a searchbar and/or tries to redirect the browser. BE CAREFUL with it; you don't want to delete everything it finds!

Good luck,

FastVFR

Tvov
11-06-2004, 16:06
Originally posted by RBR

Plus it installed some type of spyware (webrebates.exe)that I haven't been able to completely rip off my PC. Still getting pop-ups frequently since this was installed.

I mentioned "webrebates.exe" in another thread about cleaning up my computer, but I can't find it now and the search function is still kaput.

I got that on my computer, but from a different download (don't remember what). It took multiple AdAware and similar program runs, with updated version downloads, to get most of it out. Even then I had to use the search files function on my computer, using multiple variations on the name, to delete various files. EVEN THEN, I had to simply search through various files manually and kept finding related files. As far as I know, I've got it out.

I am pretty safe when downloading to the extent of my knowledge. This program was piggybacked onto something that normally shouldn't have been a problem.