What's you weight training schedule? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's you weight training schedule?

DonGlock26
11-06-2004, 22:27
I'm looking for a new routine. What do you folks use?

Thanks

Don

California Jack
11-07-2004, 19:19
Until this week I've been cycling weights using, 2 sets of five, to 3 sets of 3, to 6 sets of 1. I'd do two weeks at each set/rep combo and then go to the next. After I went through the cycle I'd go back to the 2 sets of five, but start the cycle at the weight I did on my second week of 2 sets of five.
Except as noted, I was using this set/rep scheme for;

Sat; Overhead squats 5x5
Hang Snatch 3 or 4 sets of single or dbls
Deadlifts
Weighted Dips

Mon; Front Squats
Overhead Squats 5x5
Bent Rows
Press

Weds; Squats
Overhead squats 5x5
Hang Snatch 3 or 4 sets of single or dbls
Push Press
Weighted Chins

This week I've changed my workout. I am committing myself to learning the Oly Lifts. So I'm starting a prep routing for these lifts. Sets and reps are still to be determined. But I'm looking at something like;

Sat; Squat
Overhead Lunge
Hang Clean
Hang Power Snatch
Weighted Dips
Bent Row

Mon; Snatch Grip Deadlift and Shrug
Overhead Squats
Hang Clean
Hang Power Snatch
Press

Weds; Front Squats
Overhead Lunge
Hang Clean
Hang Power Snatch
Push Press
Weighted Chins

When I get stronger in the bottom postions, I'll substitute snatch balances and heaves for the overhead lunges.

What do you think?
Jack

DonGlock26
11-07-2004, 21:36
Looks impressive. I know the NFL is using olympic lifts to build explosive power.^c

Do you do any cardio? I like weights, but I need to cut, too.

California Jack
11-08-2004, 18:30
Yes, I do some, but probably not traditional cardio. I lost quite a bit of fat following the Body For Life cardio plan. It's high intensity interval training. Now I either do that or I do some wind sprints. And every blue mooon I'll do Tabata squats or running. I'd like to try tabata sled pulling only I don't have a sled or harness. Cardio is 2 or 3 times per week on non-lifting days.

DonGlock26
11-09-2004, 09:18
I'm trying to cut, so I'm lifting 2x a week and jogging 4xwk. I'll see what happens. Yesterday I did squats, bench press, pull-downs, and abs/lower back. On thurs, I may do upright rows, hammer curls, tricep push downs, and more abs/low back work. What do you think?

I'm looking for a short effective mostly compound exercise program.

California Jack
11-09-2004, 21:32
Alright, this is just personal opinion. First, I agree with your idea to use short workouts concentrating on compound movements. I believe in the template; squat, push ,pull and abs. Personally, I like that template 3x weekly in a heavy-light-medium format.

Something like;
Heavy Day-- Squats, Bench(push), high pulls (pull)
Light Day-- Overhead Squats, press, power snatch
Medium Day Front Squats, Incline Bench, power clean

I think for cardio for weight loss High Intensity Interval Training is more effective than jogging. Worked better for me any way. Google the word 'Tabata'. Go to Bill Phillips' 'Body For Life' site and read his take on HIIT. You can find a lot of info on the web regarding HIIT versus more traditional cardio for weight loss.

If you want to try something different go to www.crossfit.com. Do their Workout of The Day for a couple of monthw and see what happens.

Good luck,
Jack

DonGlock26
11-10-2004, 09:50
Originally posted by California Jack
Alright, this is just personal opinion. First, I agree with your idea to use short workouts concentrating on compound movements. I believe in the template; squat, push ,pull and abs. Personally, I like that template 3x weekly in a heavy-light-medium format.

Something like;
Heavy Day-- Squats, Bench(push), high pulls (pull)
Light Day-- Overhead Squats, press, power snatch
Medium Day Front Squats, Incline Bench, power clean

I think for cardio for weight loss High Intensity Interval Training is more effective than jogging. Worked better for me any way. Google the word 'Tabata'. Go to Bill Phillips' 'Body For Life' site and read his take on HIIT. You can find a lot of info on the web regarding HIIT versus more traditional cardio for weight loss.

If you want to try something different go to www.crossfit.com. Do their Workout of The Day for a couple of monthw and see what happens.

Good luck,
Jack

Sounds Good! I think I will crawl before I walk when it comes to HIT. But, when I get my wind up, I will try it.

Thanks;c

Don